|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the following, which is defined as a "diverse set of signifiers which are likely to change from moment to moment"?
2. Which writer's beliefs about style most closely resembles those of Hebdige?
3. Where does Hebdige say objects begin?
4. Punks are known for embracing which of the following?
5. What does Genet say about George Jackson's letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. In your opinion, what is the overall message that Hebdige gets across by writing this book?
2. According to Chapter 6, what is the relationship between the mass culture and subcultures?
3. In Hebdige's words, what causes George Jackson to think the way he does about black cultures?
4. At what point in the book did Hebdige come to his conclusion about style?
5. In what way does Hebdige describe style as being cyclical?
6. How does Hebdige say the mass culture uses style?
7. In Chapter 7, how does Hebdige define style?
8. How does Nuttal feel about the rocker jacket?
9. What factor of the white culture does George Jackson believe is an example of injustice to the black culture?
10. What conclusion does Hebdige finally come to about style?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way did Hebdige say the black and white cultures regard the hipsters? What influenced their opinions of the hipsters? In what way did the hipsters view themselves?
Essay Topic 2
Does the author agree with the notion that "style" is an art within itself or part of a greater system? Explain how he supports his opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Of the Rastafarian and Punk subcultures, which one seems to be the most defiant of the dominant culture, in your opinion? Give specific examples from the book that support your point of view.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)