|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 8, what do Skinheads use to represent their principle of masculinity?
2. According to Chapter 9, a rocket jacket is which of the following qualities?
3. Hebdige states that which individual "fears that experience may fall prey to mythology, defined into non-existence"?
4. There is the assumption that if one Punk engages in violent behavior, the entire Punk subculture is labeled as a violent group. According to Hebdige, what entity reinforces this assumption?
5. What does Hebdige say is an attribute of style?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hebdige say Punkers' desire to be different sometimes affects them?
2. What does Hebdige say about the Punk subculture and how it outwardly expresses its views?
3. What does Hebdige say about the straightforward style?
4. In Hebdige's words, what causes George Jackson to think the way he does about black cultures?
5. How does Hebdige view the objects used by the Punk subculture to promote their subculture?
6. In your opinion, how does the content of this book affect present day society in America?
7. In what way does Hebdige describe style as being cyclical?
8. How does Hebdige view a style of chaos and flux?
9. What does Hebdige say about the existence of subcultures?
10. According to Hebdige, how do Punkers affect mass media?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author says its more important to understand the historical context of a subculture than the "familiar rites of passage associated with the transition from childhood to maturity." Discuss the historical context of the Punk, Reggae, Rastafarian, 1950's Teddy Boys, and 1970's Teddy Boys subcultures. Give specific information noted in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the black and white subcultures listed in the book. Do a general comparison and contrast as well as use specific examples from the subcultures mentioned.
Essay Topic 3
Who is George Jackson? What are his opinions of the black race? Does he believes blacks are treated equally? Why or why not?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)