|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hebdige define self-conscious expression?
(a) A form of style.
(b) A blatant way of rebelling against the dominant culture.
(c) An aesthetic of subcultures.
(d) An aesthetic of the mass culture.
2. Which of the following is NOT a name one would generally see associated with a Punk band?
(a) The Rejects.
(b) The Worst.
(c) The Unwanted.
(d) The Kittens.
3. In the Punk subculture, when is commodification complete?
(a) When Punkers are able to recruit a large number to the subculture.
(b) It was complete just by the mere fact that the subculture was formed.
(c) It will not be complete until the Punk subculture is dissolved.
(d) When objects of style perfectly match the subculture's aesthetic.
4. For its aesthetic qualities, Hebdige says that style might be what?
5. Of the following, who does Hebdige say finds value in everything except for those things "signified by the hollow men of mass culture"?
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(c) George Jackson.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Hebdige focuses on something and how it affects the definition of a subculture. What is it that he focuses on?
2. What types of clothing do Punkers generally like to wear?
3. What is the media's purpose of depicting Punkers as "good kids"?
4. Many times, members of the Punk subculture wear clothing that exude what?
5. In Chapter 9, which of the following does Hebdige use as an example of an object that once again becomes solely associated with the dominant culture?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hebdige say subcultures use style?
2. According to Hebdige, how do Punkers affect mass media?
3. What does Hebdige say the general public's understanding of a subculture leads to?
4. In your opinion, what is the overall message that Hebdige gets across by writing this book?
5. In terms of its relation to the subculture, what does Hebdige say happens to the object's meaning once it goes back to the dominant culture?
6. How does Hebdige view the objects used by the Punk subculture to promote their subculture?
7. How does Hebdige view a style of chaos and flux?
8. In Hebdige's words, what causes George Jackson to think the way he does about black cultures?
9. At what point in the book did Hebdige come to his conclusion about style?
10. According to Chapter 6, what is the relationship between the mass culture and subcultures?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)