|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a name one would generally see associated with a Punk band?
(a) The Kittens.
(b) The Rejects.
(c) The Worst.
(d) The Unwanted.
2. What does Genet say about George Jackson's letters?
(a) They are written with pleasant words.
(b) They are extremely long.
(c) They are difficult to read.
(d) They contain a lot of pictures.
3. In terms of language, what do Punks focus on?
(a) The actual meaning of the words being communicated.
(b) Punks have taken a vow of silence, and therefore do not utilize verbal language to communicate.
(c) A combination of the process and actual meaning of language.
(d) The process of communication rather than the meaning of that which is being communicated.
4. The mass culture is associated with several aesthetics. According to Hebdige, which is an example?
5. According to Chapter 9, a rocket jacket is which of the following qualities?
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of clothing do Punkers generally like to wear?
2. What is a major difference between the participants of black subcultures and white subcultures?
3. Hebdige states that which individual "fears that experience may fall prey to mythology, defined into non-existence"?
4. In which of the following ways, do Punks communicate language?
5. Of the following, which does Hebdige say is true of George Jackson's words?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do many black subcultures consist of more than the youth found in white subcultures?
2. How does Hebdige say subcultures use style?
3. At what point in the book did Hebdige come to his conclusion about style?
4. How does Hebdige feel about the relationship of a common object's intended use and its actual use?
5. What does Hebdige conclude about style and how that may have been the cause of the tension between the 70's Teddy Boys and Punks?
6. According to Hebdige, how do Punkers affect mass media?
7. After leaving a subculture, what is the difference between the cultural options for blacks and whites according to Hebdige?
8. In your opinion, what is the overall message that Hebdige gets across by writing this book?
9. In what way does Hebdige describe style as being cyclical?
10. According to Chapter 6, what is the relationship between the mass culture and subcultures?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)