|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to George Jackson, what is true of the Master's tongue?
(a) It is only understood by subcultures.
(b) It might be mastered.
(c) It is fair for all.
(d) It is only understood by the dominant culture.
2. Punks are known for embracing which of the following?
(a) Strong tie to Britain's history.
(c) Sexual puritanism.
(d) Peace and harmony.
3. In terms of music, what do Punks desire over skill?
(c) Desire to become skillful.
4. Hebdige states that which individual "fears that experience may fall prey to mythology, defined into non-existence"?
(b) George Jackson.
(c) T.S. Eliot.
5. What types of clothing do Punkers generally like to wear?
(a) Symbols of sex.
(b) Symbols of world peace.
(c) Symbols of religion.
(d) Symbols of education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a major difference between the participants of black subcultures and white subcultures?
2. Of the following, which is defined as a "diverse set of signifiers which are likely to change from moment to moment"?
3. What does Hebdige say about Punk's cultural rebellion after commodification takes place?
4. Which of the following terms does Nuttal use to describe a rocket jacket?
5. According to Hebdige, subcultures use orthodox components to create what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hebdige say Punkers' desire to be different sometimes affects them?
2. After leaving a subculture, what is the difference between the cultural options for blacks and whites according to Hebdige?
3. Who does Hebdige say has a major affect on defining subcultures to the public?
4. Does Hebdige believe recognizing style solely as an art within itself is the most accurate way of seeing it?
5. According to Hebdige, what are the two methods used to understand subcultures?
6. According to Hebdige, how do Punkers affect mass media?
7. What does Hebdige say the general public's understanding of a subculture leads to?
8. What factor of the white culture does George Jackson believe is an example of injustice to the black culture?
9. According to Chapter 6, what is the relationship between the mass culture and subcultures?
10. What does Hebdige say about the existence of subcultures?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)