|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hebdige say is the next step after a subculture is ready to become a part of the "mass cultural consciousness"?
2. In terms of language, what does George Jackson say about the dominant culture?
(a) It might be turned against the Enemy.
(b) It was formerly known as the Queen's English.
(c) It is only used in Africa.
(d) It is used to turn the participants within a subculture against each other.
3. Punks are known for embracing which of the following?
(b) Peace and harmony.
(c) Sexual puritanism.
(d) Strong tie to Britain's history.
4. Hebdige says subcultures are designed to address what?
(a) Societal deficiencies.
(b) Cultural quandaries.
(c) Cultural questions.
(d) Societal taboos.
5. What does Hebdige say about Punk's cultural rebellion after commodification takes place?
(a) It is doomed.
(b) It is growing stronger.
(c) It is stable.
(d) It is passed on to other subcultures.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 8, what do Skinheads use to represent their principle of masculinity?
2. Hebdige says that George Jackson's words are fixed in what?
3. In Chapter 7, Hebdige focuses on something and how it affects the definition of a subculture. What is it that he focuses on?
4. What does Hebdige say is an attribute of style?
5. What does Hebdige say could have caused the outbreak of violence between subcultures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hebdige say the general public's understanding of a subculture leads to?
2. How does Hebdige say Punkers' desire to be different sometimes affects them?
3. What does Hebdige say about the straightforward style?
4. In terms of its relation to the subculture, what does Hebdige say happens to the object's meaning once it goes back to the dominant culture?
5. How does Hebdige view the objects used by the Punk subculture to promote their subculture?
6. At what point in the book did Hebdige come to his conclusion about style?
7. What does Hebdige say about the existence of subcultures?
8. What is Hebdige's thought on Skinheads and how they portray a masculine outlook?
9. In your opinion, how does the content of this book affect present day society in America?
10. According to Chapter 6, what is the relationship between the mass culture and subcultures?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)