|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term of contempt did Tolstoy use for writing he disliked?
(c) Made up.
2. What Keats-like gift did Turgenev have?
(a) Turgenev had a gift for "negative capability."
(b) Turgenev had a gift for writing in Italian.
(c) Turgenev had a gift for short evocative verse.
(d) Turgenev had a gift for making himself popular with peasants.
3. How widely was Belinsky read?
(a) Belinsky was only known in small circles of Moscow intelligentsia.
(b) Belinsky was only known in small circles of Petersburg intelligentsia.
(c) Belinsky was known primarily in Europe.
(d) Belinsky was read even in the Russian provinces.
4. How did Herzen apply the philosophy of the philosopher whose work he followed?
(a) Herzen applied theories methodically and pragmatically to social problems.
(b) Herzen wasted his time on drinking and gambling as a rebellion against a rational society.
(c) Herzen found beauty in nature, and tried to escape from a corrupt society.
(d) Herzen concluded that no one grand theory could solve society's problems.
5. What were the Russian Populists opposed to?
(a) The inherited privilege of the Russian aristocracy.
(b) The Europeanization of Russian culture.
(c) Individualism on one hand and authoritarian centralism traditions on the other.
(d) Radical and revolutionary organizations that wanted to bring about change through violence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group was Herzen part of in university?
2. How does Berlin describe Belinsky's legacy?
3. What Populist warning did Lenin's reign fulfill?
4. Whose diatribes had influenced Turgenev's politics?
5. Which character was based on Belinsky?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Russian populists experience when they went to the communes in 1874?
2. What belief did Tolstoy share with Rousseau?
3. What was the critical consensus on Tolstoy, and how does Berlin revise it?
4. Why did Turgenev's character Bazarov inspire such strong responses from audiences?
5. How did Belinsky see literature's use?
6. What was Tolstoy's social life like after graduating from university?
7. According to Berlin, why was Turgenev attacked from both left and right?
8. Why did Turgenev and Botkin despise Chernychevsky?
9. Where did characters based on Belinsky appear in Russian literature?
10. How was Turgenev's work viewed at the end of his life?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)