|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem obsessed Turgenev during his life?
(a) Turgenev was obsessed by the problem of the landowner who cannot help his peasants without giving away his property.
(b) Turgenev was obsessed by the problem of European influence on Russian philosophy and literature.
(c) Turgenev was obsessed by the problem of industrialization in a culture of hand-laborers.
(d) Turgenev was obsessed by the problem of the sensitive man who has no influence on the events of his day.
2. Where was Herzen born?
3. Which character was based on Belinsky?
(a) Basistov in Turgenev's Rudin.
(b) Onegin in Pushkin's Eugene Onegin.
(c) Bazarov in Turgenev's Fathers and Sons.
(d) Vronsky in Tolstoy's Anna Karenina.
4. How did Turgenev differ from Tolstoy and Dostoevsky?
(a) Turgenev wrote solely about peasants.
(b) Turgenev was not a moral preacher.
(c) Turgenev wrote short stories.
(d) Turgenev did not write about society characters.
5. What ideas did Tolstoy believe in?
(a) Tolstoy advocated for a strict aristocracy to keep the unruly impulses of the masses under control.
(b) Tolstoy rejected original sin and idealized the innocence of children.
(c) Tolstoy believed in Russians' innate racial cohesion.
(d) Tolstoy proposed the right of Russia to govern Eastern Europe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tolstoy's relationship with Hegel's philosophy?
2. What did Herzen understand that the revolutionaries did not understand?
3. Whose diatribes had influenced Turgenev's politics?
4. How was Turgenev received by the radicals of the 1860s and 70s?
5. When was Herzen born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Russian populists experience when they went to the communes in 1874?
2. Who was Nikolay Chernychevsky and what was his role in Russian culture?
3. According to Berlin, why was Turgenev attacked from both left and right?
4. What does the term "superfluous men" mean in Russian literature?
5. What was the stance of the "new men" toward Turgenev?
6. What qualities did the characters based on Belinsky have?
7. How are Herzen and Turgenev similar? How are they different?
8. What Western thinkers influenced Populism?
9. What belief did Tolstoy share with Rousseau?
10. How was Turgenev's work viewed at the end of his life?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)