|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Turgenev try to do with the novel he published five years after Fathers and Children?
(a) Turgenev tried to criticize the aristocracy unreservedly.
(b) Turgenev tried to win the favor of progressives.
(c) Turgenev tried to portray Russian society without a political slant.
(d) Turgenev tried to redeem himself of charges of obscenity.
2. When did Turgenev die?
3. Who changed the consensus about Tolstoy?
4. What allowed the leader of the Populists to lead?
(a) He was born to an aristocratic father and a poor mother, so he understood both worlds.
(b) He was born in Europe, so he could see Russian culture without bias.
(c) He was born after the period of repression, so he experienced a full spectrum of Russian literature and life.
(d) He was born to a parish priest, so he understood poor people's concerns.
5. What did the character Bazarov represent?
(a) Anarchy and violence.
(b) The traditional aristocrat.
(c) Destructive criticism and nihilism.
(d) The coming Russian Revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Herzen apply the philosophy of the philosopher whose work he followed?
2. When did Tolstoy's reputation change?
3. Where was Belinsky born?
4. Who converted Belinsky to the idealism of Fichte and Schelling?
5. Where did Tolstoy go to university?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Turgenev's character Bazarov inspire such strong responses from audiences?
2. Who was Nikolay Chernychevsky and what was his role in Russian culture?
3. What did Russian populists experience when they went to the communes in 1874?
4. What was Turgenev's political stance, and how had he formulated it?
5. What belief did Tolstoy share with Rousseau?
6. What Western thinkers influenced Populism?
7. How are Herzen and Turgenev similar? How are they different?
8. How did Hegel's ideas influence Herzen?
9. How was Turgenev's work viewed at the end of his life?
10. Why was Chernychevsky wary of the state?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)