|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What values did Herzen share with the group he was part of?
(a) Herzen and his circle believed that historical progress would sweep away the aristocracy.
(b) Herzen and his circle wanted to escape from Russian life into aesthetics and decadent Western art.
(c) Herzen and his circle felt compelled to respond radically to Russia's stifling culture.
(d) Herzen and his circle exorcised their guilt at being landowners by drinking and gambling and generally dissipating themselves.
2. How were Tolstoy's early stories received?
(a) They were not noticed until after his death.
(b) They earned him a reputation as a promising writer.
(c) They were banned.
(d) They made him an instant celebrity.
3. What did Herzen understand that the revolutionaries did not understand?
(a) The corrupting nature of power.
(b) The hellish nature of armed conflict.
(c) The power of the aristocracy.
(d) The cost of revolutionary change.
4. What interaction did Tolstoy have with the radical Dobrolyubov?
(a) Dobrolyubov published Turgenev's first novel.
(b) Turgenev and Dobrolyubov fought a duel.
(c) Dobrolyubov challenged Turgenev to a duel, but Turgenev refused to fight.
(d) Dobrolyubov refused to talk with Turgenev when they met, once.
5. Whose writings were populists influenced by?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herzen's last name indicate about his birth?
2. Why was Belinsky expelled from university?
3. Who changed the consensus about Tolstoy?
4. How does Berlin ultimately characterize Turgenev?
5. Whose philosophy did Herzen follow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Turgenev and Botkin despise Chernychevsky?
2. Why did Turgenev's character Bazarov inspire such strong responses from audiences?
3. What was Herzen's early activist career like?
4. What was the critical consensus on Tolstoy, and how does Berlin revise it?
5. What Western thinkers influenced Populism?
6. What was Turgenev's political stance, and how had he formulated it?
7. What balances did Belinsky strike in his social status and identity?
8. Where did Alexander Herzen come from?
9. How was Turgenev's work viewed at the end of his life?
10. What talent did Turgenev share with English poet John Keats?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)