|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Populist warning did Lenin's reign fulfill?
(a) Lenin's reign fulfilled the Populist prophecy that a popular movement would kneel before a charismatic dictator.
(b) Lenin's reign fulfilled the Populist prophecy that the people would prosper under autocratic rule.
(c) Lenin's reign fulfilled the Populist prophecy that a revolution of the elite would result in a dictatorship of that elite.
(d) Lenin's reign fulfilled the Populist prophecy that the people would not be happy under any leader who led more than one collective.
2. Which character was based on Belinsky?
(a) Basistov in Turgenev's Rudin.
(b) Onegin in Pushkin's Eugene Onegin.
(c) Bazarov in Turgenev's Fathers and Sons.
(d) Vronsky in Tolstoy's Anna Karenina.
3. What were the Russian Populists opposed to?
(a) Radical and revolutionary organizations that wanted to bring about change through violence.
(b) Individualism on one hand and authoritarian centralism traditions on the other.
(c) The Europeanization of Russian culture.
(d) The inherited privilege of the Russian aristocracy.
4. Where did Tolstoy find the source of his philosophy?
(a) In individual experience.
(b) In the divine rights of government.
(c) In the collective power of the government.
(d) In the divinity of the church.
5. What interaction did Tolstoy have with the radical Dobrolyubov?
(a) Turgenev and Dobrolyubov fought a duel.
(b) Dobrolyubov refused to talk with Turgenev when they met, once.
(c) Dobrolyubov challenged Turgenev to a duel, but Turgenev refused to fight.
(d) Dobrolyubov published Turgenev's first novel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Belinsky described by the writers he influenced?
2. What do Herzen and Turgenev's novels have in common?
3. What does the Russian word "Mir" mean?
4. What did the character Bazarov represent?
5. How was Turgenev's novels seen by the Russian government?
Short Essay Questions
1. What qualities did the characters based on Belinsky have?
2. What was Herzen's relationship with his friends?
3. Who was Nikolay Chernychevsky and what was his role in Russian culture?
4. How did Belinsky see literature's use?
5. What course of action did Tolstoy advocate for intellectuals?
6. What signs indicate the importance of Belinsky in Russian culture?
7. What Western thinkers influenced Populism?
8. What talent did Turgenev share with English poet John Keats?
9. How was Turgenev's work viewed at the end of his life?
10. How did Tolstoy's theories and values appear in his novels?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)