|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Belinsky identify as the father of Russian literature?
2. What were the Russian Populists opposed to?
(a) Radical and revolutionary organizations that wanted to bring about change through violence.
(b) The inherited privilege of the Russian aristocracy.
(c) The Europeanization of Russian culture.
(d) Individualism on one hand and authoritarian centralism traditions on the other.
3. What was Herzen anxious to avoid becoming?
(a) An over-educated dilettante.
(b) A political prisoner.
(c) A husband.
(d) A bureaucrat.
4. What does Herzen's last name indicate about his birth?
(a) Herzen's father was common name for Latvian emigrants to Russia to adopt.
(b) Herzen was a noble name, and indicates his high birth.
(c) Herzen was a German name, indicating that his parents had immigrated to Russia.
(d) Herzen means heart in German, and indicates his illegitimacy.
5. What program did Tolstoy advocate?
(a) Tolstoy advocated a program in which dissidents should be exiled to Siberia or America.
(b) Tolstoy advocated a program in which the peasants rule themselves without hierarchy.
(c) Tolstoy advocated a program in which individuals share the fruits of civilization with the peasants.
(d) Tolstoy advocated a program in which aristocrats benefited from the labor of their peasants.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Turgenev's novels seen by the Russian government?
2. What did Belinsky find in literature?
3. Whose diatribes had influenced Turgenev's politics?
4. What idea caused Tolstoy agony?
5. How did Herzen manifest the values he shared with his circle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Belinsky see literature's use?
2. What does the term "superfluous men" mean in Russian literature?
3. What course of action did Tolstoy advocate for intellectuals?
4. How are Herzen and Turgenev similar? How are they different?
5. What Western thinkers influenced Populism?
6. How did Hegel's ideas influence Herzen?
7. How was Turgenev's work viewed at the end of his life?
8. What was Tolstoy's education like?
9. What was Tolstoy's social life like after graduating from university?
10. What was the stance of the "new men" toward Turgenev?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)