|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character was based on Belinsky?
(a) Basistov in Turgenev's Rudin.
(b) Vronsky in Tolstoy's Anna Karenina.
(c) Onegin in Pushkin's Eugene Onegin.
(d) Bazarov in Turgenev's Fathers and Sons.
2. Whose philosophy did Herzen follow?
3. What kind of position has Turgenev's legacy occupied in Russian society?
(a) Turgenev has been attacked by all sides of the political spectrum.
(b) Turgenev has become a model gentleman farmer.
(c) Turgenev was turned into a martyr by the left.
(d) Turgenev has been turned into a populist hero.
4. What term of contempt did Tolstoy use for writing he disliked?
(a) Made up.
5. What was Tolstoy's experience of European ideas?
(a) From his reading of European thinkers, Tolstoy saw the flaws in Russian society.
(b) Tolstoy's travels throughout Europe showed him the superior forms of social organization.
(c) Tolstoy's friendship with European writers showed him the inevitability of revolutionary change.
(d) After traveling to Europe, Tolstoy became contemptuous of European "expertise."
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Belinsky identify as the father of Russian literature?
2. What European doctrine did Herzen deplore?
3. Which principles did Belinsky never abandon?
4. Who advocated Russian Populism?
5. What was Belinsky's father like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Chernychevsky wary of the state?
2. How did Belinsky see literature's use?
3. What did Russian populists experience when they went to the communes in 1874?
4. What was the stance of the "new men" toward Turgenev?
5. Who was Nikolay Chernychevsky and what was his role in Russian culture?
6. Why did Turgenev's character Bazarov inspire such strong responses from audiences?
7. What was Turgenev's political stance, and how had he formulated it?
8. What talent did Turgenev share with English poet John Keats?
9. Where did Alexander Herzen come from?
10. How are Herzen and Turgenev similar? How are they different?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)