|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Turgenev received by the radicals of the 1860s and 70s?
(a) He was dismissed as a noble.
(b) He was celebrated as a visionary.
(c) He was embraced as a model.
(d) He was rejected as ineffectual.
2. Where did Tolstoy go to university?
(a) The University of Berlin.
(b) The University of Petersburg.
(c) The University of Kazan.
(d) The University of Moscow.
3. What program did Tolstoy advocate?
(a) Tolstoy advocated a program in which the peasants rule themselves without hierarchy.
(b) Tolstoy advocated a program in which aristocrats benefited from the labor of their peasants.
(c) Tolstoy advocated a program in which dissidents should be exiled to Siberia or America.
(d) Tolstoy advocated a program in which individuals share the fruits of civilization with the peasants.
4. How did Tolstoy understand the concept of truth?
(a) Truth was defined by the church and government.
(b) Truth was relative.
(c) Truth was eternal.
(d) Truth was rooted in contingent experience.
5. What term of contempt did Tolstoy use for writing he disliked?
(c) Made up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tolstoy's experience of European ideas?
2. What was Tolstoy's opinion about his professors?
3. How was Fathers and Children received in Russia?
4. When did Tolstoy's reputation change?
5. What did Herzen believe was the "goal" of life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Herzen's relationship with his friends?
2. What was the critical consensus on Tolstoy, and how does Berlin revise it?
3. What belief did Tolstoy share with Rousseau?
4. What was the stance of the "new men" toward Turgenev?
5. According to Berlin, why was Turgenev attacked from both left and right?
6. What was Tolstoy's social life like after graduating from university?
7. Where did characters based on Belinsky appear in Russian literature?
8. What qualities did the characters based on Belinsky have?
9. How did Belinsky see literature's use?
10. Why did Turgenev and Botkin despise Chernychevsky?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)