|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Herzen believe was the "goal" of life?
(a) Life itself.
(b) Social justice.
(c) Political equality for everyone.
2. What was Belinsky like in a debate?
(a) Frigidly rational.
(b) Bombastic and offensive.
3. What does Herzen's last name indicate about his birth?
(a) Herzen was a noble name, and indicates his high birth.
(b) Herzen means heart in German, and indicates his illegitimacy.
(c) Herzen's father was common name for Latvian emigrants to Russia to adopt.
(d) Herzen was a German name, indicating that his parents had immigrated to Russia.
4. What theme does Turgenev's novel <i>Fathers and Children</i> deal with?
(a) It recounts Turgenev's travels to Europe and the ideas he found there.
(b) It is centered on the relationship between Turgenev's generation and the generation of radicals that followed him.
(c) It describes the problem of nihilism and anarchism within an industrial society.
(d) It describes the ascent of a new generation of radical families.
5. How was <i>Fathers and Children</i> received in Russia?
(a) It was banned for obscenity.
(b) It was celebrated as an avant-garde modernism novel.
(c) It caused a controversy over its portrayal of nihilism.
(d) It was not noticed until later in Turgenev's life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Tolstoy find the source of his philosophy?
2. What qualities did the most important leader of the Russian Populists have that made him successful?
3. Whose writings were populists influenced by?
4. Who advocated Russian Populism?
5. What balance did Belinsky strike in his career?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)