|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Turgenev's novels seen by the Russian government?
(a) Turgenev's novels were banned as subversive.
(b) Turgenev's novels were not safe.
(c) Turgenev's novels represented the ideal Russian society.
(d) Turgenev's novels were charming and harmless.
2. What Populist warning did Lenin's reign fulfill?
(a) Lenin's reign fulfilled the Populist prophecy that a popular movement would kneel before a charismatic dictator.
(b) Lenin's reign fulfilled the Populist prophecy that the people would not be happy under any leader who led more than one collective.
(c) Lenin's reign fulfilled the Populist prophecy that the people would prosper under autocratic rule.
(d) Lenin's reign fulfilled the Populist prophecy that a revolution of the elite would result in a dictatorship of that elite.
3. What sentiment ultimately moved the Populists?
(a) Lust for power.
(b) Revulsion from capitalism.
(c) Idealistic hope for social justice.
(d) Longing for political stability.
4. What qualities did the characters based on Belinsky possess?
(a) Dreamy romanticism.
(b) Diabolical political stances.
(c) Awkward earnestness.
(d) Nihilistic recklessness.
5. According to Berlin, why is there not a good biography of Alexander Herzen?
(a) Because Herzen's papers were all lost in a fire.
(b) Because Herzen's autobiography is so remarkable.
(c) Because Herzen destroyed all of his papers.
(d) Because Herzen's biographers were censored by the government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Herzen believe was the "goal" of life?
2. Whose diatribes had influenced Turgenev's politics?
3. What idea caused Tolstoy agony?
4. Where was Herzen educated?
5. What was Belinsky like in a debate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Alexander Herzen come from?
2. What balances did Belinsky strike in his social status and identity?
3. What does the term "superfluous men" mean in Russian literature?
4. How did Belinsky see literature's use?
5. Why did Turgenev's character Bazarov inspire such strong responses from audiences?
6. What belief did Tolstoy share with Rousseau?
7. What was the critical consensus on Tolstoy, and how does Berlin revise it?
8. Describe Belinsky's background and biography.
9. What was Tolstoy's education like?
10. According to Berlin, why was Turgenev attacked from both left and right?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)