|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which principles did Belinsky never abandon?
(a) English Humanism.
(b) German Romanticism.
(c) Russian Nationalism.
(d) French Decadence.
2. What sentiment ultimately moved the Populists?
(a) Revulsion from capitalism.
(b) Longing for political stability.
(c) Lust for power.
(d) Idealistic hope for social justice.
3. How were Tolstoy's early stories received?
(a) They were not noticed until after his death.
(b) They were banned.
(c) They made him an instant celebrity.
(d) They earned him a reputation as a promising writer.
4. Where was Belinsky born?
5. What does Herzen's last name indicate about his birth?
(a) Herzen was a German name, indicating that his parents had immigrated to Russia.
(b) Herzen was a noble name, and indicates his high birth.
(c) Herzen's father was common name for Latvian emigrants to Russia to adopt.
(d) Herzen means heart in German, and indicates his illegitimacy.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Russian Populism begin to decline?
2. What was Tolstoy's opinion about his professors?
3. What group was Herzen part of in university?
4. Who were Herzen's parents?
5. What was Belinsky like in a debate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Herzen's early activist career like?
2. What Western thinkers influenced Populism?
3. How was Turgenev's work viewed at the end of his life?
4. What belief did Tolstoy share with Rousseau?
5. Why did Turgenev and Botkin despise Chernychevsky?
6. What was Tolstoy's social life like after graduating from university?
7. What balances did Belinsky strike in his social status and identity?
8. Where did Alexander Herzen come from?
9. How did Belinsky see literature's use?
10. Describe Russian populism as a movement.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)