|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Tolstoy's experience of European ideas?
(a) Tolstoy's friendship with European writers showed him the inevitability of revolutionary change.
(b) After traveling to Europe, Tolstoy became contemptuous of European "expertise."
(c) From his reading of European thinkers, Tolstoy saw the flaws in Russian society.
(d) Tolstoy's travels throughout Europe showed him the superior forms of social organization.
2. What kind of position has Turgenev's legacy occupied in Russian society?
(a) Turgenev has become a model gentleman farmer.
(b) Turgenev was turned into a martyr by the left.
(c) Turgenev has been attacked by all sides of the political spectrum.
(d) Turgenev has been turned into a populist hero.
3. What does the Russian word "Mir" mean?
(a) Collective of communes.
(c) Russian laws.
(d) A political party.
4. Which principles did Belinsky never abandon?
(a) French Decadence.
(b) German Romanticism.
(c) Russian Nationalism.
(d) English Humanism.
5. How does Berlin ultimately characterize Turgenev?
(a) As a consummate philosopher-novelist.
(b) As the ultimate pluralist.
(c) As an articulate zealot.
(d) As an artist first and foremost.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Vissarion Belinsky die?
2. What did Herzen believe was the "goal" of life?
3. How did Herzen apply the philosophy of the philosopher whose work he followed?
4. Who were Herzen's parents?
5. What qualities did the most important leader of the Russian Populists have that made him successful?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)