|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What native influence affected the Russian Populists?
(a) Russian agricultural practices.
(b) The gloom of Russian philosophy.
(c) Russian Orthodox traditions.
2. What did Herzen believe was the "goal" of life?
(b) Life itself.
(c) Political equality for everyone.
(d) Social justice.
3. Which two thinkers influenced the Russian populists?
(a) Fourier and Mill.
(b) Locke and Rousseau.
(c) Kant and Hume.
(d) Darwin and Marx.
4. What was Tolstoy's relationship with Hegel's philosophy?
(a) Tolstoy embraced Hegel wholeheartedly.
(b) Tolstoy rejected Hegel.
(c) Tolstoy believed in the evolution of culture, but not in the force behind that evolution.
(d) Tolstoy embraced the divinity behind a changing world, but rejected the teleological nature of Hegel's history.
5. What sentiment ultimately moved the Populists?
(a) Revulsion from capitalism.
(b) Lust for power.
(c) Idealistic hope for social justice.
(d) Longing for political stability.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Herzen manifest the values he shared with his circle?
2. How was Fathers and Children received in Russia?
3. What kind of position has Turgenev's legacy occupied in Russian society?
4. What was the intellectual's role in the Populists' view?
5. What theme does Turgenev's novel Fathers and Children deal with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Herzen and Turgenev similar? How are they different?
2. Where did Alexander Herzen come from?
3. Where did characters based on Belinsky appear in Russian literature?
4. What was Tolstoy's social life like after graduating from university?
5. How was Turgenev's work viewed at the end of his life?
6. What course of action did Tolstoy advocate for intellectuals?
7. What talent did Turgenev share with English poet John Keats?
8. Who was Nikolay Chernychevsky and what was his role in Russian culture?
9. What Western thinkers influenced Populism?
10. What signs indicate the importance of Belinsky in Russian culture?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)