|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Herzen born?
2. How did the government react to Turgenev's death?
(a) The government to drastic precautions over Turgenev's funeral.
(b) The government attacked mourners at Turgenev's funeral.
(c) The government made sure that Turgenev was buried without fanfare.
(d) The government gave Turgenev a hero's farewell.
3. What model did populists see as the basis for reform?
(a) Aristocratic fiefdoms.
(b) Peasant communes.
(c) Native-American tribes.
(d) European nation-states.
4. What was Belinsky's father like?
(a) Belinsky's father was a retired naval doctor who drank.
(b) Belinsky's father was an engraver.
(c) Belinsky's father was a gentleman farmer.
(d) Belinsky's father was a bureaucrat in the agriculture ministry.
5. What did Herzen understand that the revolutionaries did not understand?
(a) The cost of revolutionary change.
(b) The hellish nature of armed conflict.
(c) The power of the aristocracy.
(d) The corrupting nature of power.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Berlin, why is there not a good biography of Alexander Herzen?
2. Where was Belinsky born?
3. What values did Herzen share with the group he was part of?
4. What did Populists do in large scale in 1874?
5. What ideas did Tolstoy believe in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What signs indicate the importance of Belinsky in Russian culture?
2. Where did Alexander Herzen come from?
3. Describe Belinsky's background and biography.
4. What does the term "superfluous men" mean in Russian literature?
5. What course of action did Tolstoy advocate for intellectuals?
6. According to Berlin, why was Turgenev attacked from both left and right?
7. How did Hegel's ideas influence Herzen?
8. What was Herzen's relationship with his friends?
9. Who was Nikolay Chernychevsky and what was his role in Russian culture?
10. What belief did Tolstoy share with Rousseau?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)