|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Herzen born?
2. Which two thinkers influenced the Russian populists?
(a) Locke and Rousseau.
(b) Kant and Hume.
(c) Darwin and Marx.
(d) Fourier and Mill.
3. Where was Herzen born?
4. How does Berlin describe Belinsky's legacy?
(a) Berlin describes Belinsky as the father of social criticism.
(b) Berlin describes Belinsky as the decadent gadfly of his generation.
(c) Berlin describes Belinsky as an aesthete whose decadence was in fashion for a few years.
(d) Berlin describes Belinsky as a revolutionary whose martyrdom inspired future revolutionaries.
5. How does Berlin ultimately characterize Turgenev?
(a) As a consummate philosopher-novelist.
(b) As an articulate zealot.
(c) As an artist first and foremost.
(d) As the ultimate pluralist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What qualities did the most important leader of the Russian Populists have that made him successful?
2. When did Turgenev die?
3. What archetype was Levin in Anna Karenina an example of?
4. What has the consensus been about Leo Tolstoy?
5. How did Turgenev differ from Tolstoy and Dostoevsky?
Short Essay Questions
1. What qualities did the characters based on Belinsky have?
2. What was the critical consensus on Tolstoy, and how does Berlin revise it?
3. What talent did Turgenev share with English poet John Keats?
4. What was Herzen's early activist career like?
5. Why did Turgenev's character Bazarov inspire such strong responses from audiences?
6. What was Turgenev's political stance, and how had he formulated it?
7. What course of action did Tolstoy advocate for intellectuals?
8. What was Herzen's relationship with his friends?
9. How are Herzen and Turgenev similar? How are they different?
10. How did Hegel's ideas influence Herzen?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)