|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem obsessed Turgenev during his life?
(a) Turgenev was obsessed by the problem of industrialization in a culture of hand-laborers.
(b) Turgenev was obsessed by the problem of European influence on Russian philosophy and literature.
(c) Turgenev was obsessed by the problem of the sensitive man who has no influence on the events of his day.
(d) Turgenev was obsessed by the problem of the landowner who cannot help his peasants without giving away his property.
2. What European doctrine did Herzen deplore?
(a) The notion that the mind is fed only by direct sensory experience.
(b) The notion that Europeans are superior to Russians and others.
(c) The notion that some must die for society to progress.
(d) The notion that Romanic idealism would triumph in workers' collectives.
3. What group was Herzen part of in university?
(a) Herzen was part of the Petrachevsky circle.
(b) Herzen belonged to a group of student radicals.
(c) Herzen was one of Turgenev's "superfluous men."
(d) Herzen was one of Belinsky's proteges.
4. Where did Belinsky receive encouragement?
(a) A German doctor.
(b) A liberal professor.
(c) A lover.
(d) An older writer.
5. When was Herzen born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were Herzen's parents?
2. What native influence affected the Russian Populists?
3. What did Herzen understand that the revolutionaries did not understand?
4. What program did Tolstoy advocate?
5. What does the Russian word "obshcnina" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the critical consensus on Tolstoy, and how does Berlin revise it?
2. How was Turgenev's work viewed at the end of his life?
3. According to Berlin, why was Turgenev attacked from both left and right?
4. What was Turgenev's political stance, and how had he formulated it?
5. Why did Turgenev's character Bazarov inspire such strong responses from audiences?
6. What was the stance of the "new men" toward Turgenev?
7. What was Herzen's early activist career like?
8. What balances did Belinsky strike in his social status and identity?
9. What does the term "superfluous men" mean in Russian literature?
10. How did Hegel's ideas influence Herzen?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)