|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Keats-like gift did Turgenev have?
(a) Turgenev had a gift for "negative capability."
(b) Turgenev had a gift for short evocative verse.
(c) Turgenev had a gift for making himself popular with peasants.
(d) Turgenev had a gift for writing in Italian.
2. What values did Herzen share with the group he was part of?
(a) Herzen and his circle exorcised their guilt at being landowners by drinking and gambling and generally dissipating themselves.
(b) Herzen and his circle wanted to escape from Russian life into aesthetics and decadent Western art.
(c) Herzen and his circle felt compelled to respond radically to Russia's stifling culture.
(d) Herzen and his circle believed that historical progress would sweep away the aristocracy.
3. Where did Tolstoy find the source of his philosophy?
(a) In the divinity of the church.
(b) In the divine rights of government.
(c) In the collective power of the government.
(d) In individual experience.
4. What did Turgenev try to do with the novel he published five years after Fathers and Children?
(a) Turgenev tried to win the favor of progressives.
(b) Turgenev tried to criticize the aristocracy unreservedly.
(c) Turgenev tried to redeem himself of charges of obscenity.
(d) Turgenev tried to portray Russian society without a political slant.
5. When did Tolstoy's reputation change?
(a) In the late 1880s.
(b) In the early 1860s.
(c) In the early 1890s.
(d) In the mid-1870s.
Short Answer Questions
1. What theme does Turgenev's novel Fathers and Children deal with?
2. Where was Herzen educated?
3. Who advocated Russian Populism?
4. How widely was Belinsky read?
5. What native influence affected the Russian Populists?
Short Essay Questions
1. What talent did Turgenev share with English poet John Keats?
2. How did Tolstoy's theories and values appear in his novels?
3. What did Russian populists experience when they went to the communes in 1874?
4. Why was Chernychevsky wary of the state?
5. How did Hegel's ideas influence Herzen?
6. Describe Belinsky's background and biography.
7. Where did Alexander Herzen come from?
8. What was the critical consensus on Tolstoy, and how does Berlin revise it?
9. What qualities did the characters based on Belinsky have?
10. What Western thinkers influenced Populism?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)