|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Belinsky born?
2. Who advocated Russian Populism?
(a) The Moscow Reform Party.
(b) A widespread group of radicals.
(c) The Petersburg Literary Coterie.
(d) The Second of April Committee.
3. What European doctrine did Herzen deplore?
(a) The notion that Romanic idealism would triumph in workers' collectives.
(b) The notion that some must die for society to progress.
(c) The notion that Europeans are superior to Russians and others.
(d) The notion that the mind is fed only by direct sensory experience.
4. What did Turgenev try to do with the novel he published five years after <i>Fathers and Children</i>?
(a) Turgenev tried to portray Russian society without a political slant.
(b) Turgenev tried to redeem himself of charges of obscenity.
(c) Turgenev tried to criticize the aristocracy unreservedly.
(d) Turgenev tried to win the favor of progressives.
5. What qualities did the most important leader of the Russian Populists have that made him successful?
(a) A talent for collecting details and making concrete plans.
(b) An eloquent writing and speaking style.
(c) A brilliant intellect.
(d) A magnetic almost messianic personality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ideas did Tolstoy believe in?
2. How was Herzen seen by the revolutionaries of the 1860s and 1870s?
3. Who was the thinker Tolstoy agreed with most?
4. What values did Herzen share with the group he was part of?
5. Whom did Belinsky identify as the father of Russian literature?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)