|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What European doctrine did Herzen deplore?
(a) The notion that some must die for society to progress.
(b) The notion that Europeans are superior to Russians and others.
(c) The notion that the mind is fed only by direct sensory experience.
(d) The notion that Romanic idealism would triumph in workers' collectives.
2. Where did Tolstoy find the source of his philosophy?
(a) In individual experience.
(b) In the divinity of the church.
(c) In the divine rights of government.
(d) In the collective power of the government.
3. What was Belinsky like in a debate?
(a) Frigidly rational.
(c) Bombastic and offensive.
4. Who converted Belinsky to the idealism of Fichte and Schelling?
5. What values did Herzen share with the group he was part of?
(a) Herzen and his circle exorcised their guilt at being landowners by drinking and gambling and generally dissipating themselves.
(b) Herzen and his circle believed that historical progress would sweep away the aristocracy.
(c) Herzen and his circle wanted to escape from Russian life into aesthetics and decadent Western art.
(d) Herzen and his circle felt compelled to respond radically to Russia's stifling culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Belinsky receive encouragement?
2. When did Turgenev die?
3. How was Fathers and Children received in Russia?
4. What model did populists see as the basis for reform?
5. How did Tolstoy get along with the literary salons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Herzen's early activist career like?
2. How did Tolstoy's theories and values appear in his novels?
3. Describe Belinsky's background and biography.
4. What was Tolstoy's education like?
5. What does the term "superfluous men" mean in Russian literature?
6. What course of action did Tolstoy advocate for intellectuals?
7. What did Russian populists experience when they went to the communes in 1874?
8. What qualities did the characters based on Belinsky have?
9. What Western thinkers influenced Populism?
10. Who was Nikolay Chernychevsky and what was his role in Russian culture?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)