|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the Tsar following the Decembrist rebellion?
(c) Nicholas II.
(d) Nicholas I.
2. What was Bakunin's relationship with Herzen?
(a) Bakunin was inspired by Herzen's experience.
(b) Herzen was susceptible to Bakunin's improvident optimism.
(c) Herzen was the better intellectual.
(d) Bakunin learned his theories under Herzen's tutelage.
3. What did the Tsar see himself as defending for his country?
(a) Civil rights for serfs and peasants.
(b) Autocracy, religion and order.
(c) The property of landowners.
(d) Opportunity and liberty.
4. Whose novels did the Russian Intelligentsia influence?
5. According to Berlin, what did Tolstoy have the greatest faith in?
(a) Divine causes.
(c) Individual experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movement was responsible for bringing politics into literature in mid-nineteenth-century Russian literature?
2. How does Berlin characterize Bakunin's ideas?
3. Which of the following describes Russian censorship during the middle of the nineteenth century?
4. What insight did Herzen value in the thinkers who influenced him?
5. Which thinker saw progress in the growth of national cultures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Annenkov's role in the circle of Russian Intelligentsia?
2. Who was Joseph de Maistre and what ideas did Tolstoy share with him?
3. Whose writings had Russian intellectuals and writers primarily been influenced by?
4. What influence did censors have on Russian intellectuals and literature?
5. What was Leo Tolstoy's as a thinker, and how does Berlin see him?
6. In what ways does Berlin see Tolstoy's experience as representative of Russian culture?
7. What were the three accomplishments of the intellectuals who rose to prominence in the 1830s and 40s?
8. Why, according to Berlin, did Tolstoy resist subscribing to a totalizing theory of history?
9. What saying of Schelling's represents the relationship of artists to their times in Russian ideology of the mid-nineteenth century?
10. Describe the difference between progressive and reactionary Romanticism.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)