|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who changed the consensus about Tolstoy?
2. Which principles did Belinsky never abandon?
(a) English Humanism.
(b) Russian Nationalism.
(c) German Romanticism.
(d) French Decadence.
3. How was Fathers and Children received in Russia?
(a) It caused a controversy over its portrayal of nihilism.
(b) It was celebrated as an avant-garde modernism novel.
(c) It was banned for obscenity.
(d) It was not noticed until later in Turgenev's life.
4. How did Tolstoy get along with the literary salons?
(a) He was often at odds with critics, and he became famous for his quarrels.
(b) He made them uncomfortable because he knew that real life was lived in nature.
(c) He fit right in with his wit and quick tongue and aphorisms.
(d) He longed for attention but was uncomfortable in the salons' scrutinizing eyes.
5. How did Belinsky make a living?
(a) Belinsky made a living as a hack writer.
(b) Belinsky made a living as tanner.
(c) Belinsky made a living as a bureaucrat and wrote in his spare time.
(d) Belinksy was a nobleman who worked only on his writing.
6. How does Berlin describe Belinsky's legacy?
(a) Berlin describes Belinsky as the father of social criticism.
(b) Berlin describes Belinsky as an aesthete whose decadence was in fashion for a few years.
(c) Berlin describes Belinsky as the decadent gadfly of his generation.
(d) Berlin describes Belinsky as a revolutionary whose martyrdom inspired future revolutionaries.
7. How was Turgenev's novels seen by the Russian government?
(a) Turgenev's novels represented the ideal Russian society.
(b) Turgenev's novels were charming and harmless.
(c) Turgenev's novels were not safe.
(d) Turgenev's novels were banned as subversive.
8. What was Tolstoy's relationship with Hegel's philosophy?
(a) Tolstoy rejected Hegel.
(b) Tolstoy embraced the divinity behind a changing world, but rejected the teleological nature of Hegel's history.
(c) Tolstoy believed in the evolution of culture, but not in the force behind that evolution.
(d) Tolstoy embraced Hegel wholeheartedly.
9. What term of contempt did Tolstoy use for writing he disliked?
(b) Made up.
10. What qualities did the characters based on Belinsky possess?
(a) Diabolical political stances.
(b) Dreamy romanticism.
(c) Awkward earnestness.
(d) Nihilistic recklessness.
11. What values did Herzen share with the group he was part of?
(a) Herzen and his circle exorcised their guilt at being landowners by drinking and gambling and generally dissipating themselves.
(b) Herzen and his circle believed that historical progress would sweep away the aristocracy.
(c) Herzen and his circle wanted to escape from Russian life into aesthetics and decadent Western art.
(d) Herzen and his circle felt compelled to respond radically to Russia's stifling culture.
12. How did Turgenev differ from Tolstoy and Dostoevsky?
(a) Turgenev wrote short stories.
(b) Turgenev did not write about society characters.
(c) Turgenev wrote solely about peasants.
(d) Turgenev was not a moral preacher.
13. What does the Russian word "Mir" mean?
(a) Collective of communes.
(b) A political party.
(d) Russian laws.
14. How widely was Belinsky read?
(a) Belinsky was known primarily in Europe.
(b) Belinsky was only known in small circles of Moscow intelligentsia.
(c) Belinsky was only known in small circles of Petersburg intelligentsia.
(d) Belinsky was read even in the Russian provinces.
15. What were the Russian Populists opposed to?
(a) Individualism on one hand and authoritarian centralism traditions on the other.
(b) Radical and revolutionary organizations that wanted to bring about change through violence.
(c) The inherited privilege of the Russian aristocracy.
(d) The Europeanization of Russian culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea caused Tolstoy agony?
2. What was Tolstoy's opinion about his professors?
3. Whose failures did the leader of the Populists reject?
4. What balance did Herzen strike in his philosophy?
5. What was Herzen anxious to avoid becoming?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)