|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did censorship system work?
(a) It used paid informers to keep banned books from being written.
(b) It was a double censorship system.
(c) It forced authors to publically recant having written banned books.
(d) It relied on writers' self-censorship.
2. What dictum of Schelling's represented the Russian literary scene in the nineteenth century?
(a) Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.
(b) Idealism lives in literature but grows old and dies in prison.
(c) Writers capture the times better than sociologists do.
(d) The arts are the last thing to change in a culture.
3. What was the result of Russia's "moral quarantine"?
(a) A decrease in censorship.
(b) Intense Slavophilia.
(c) A renaissance in Russian literature.
(d) Ethnic cleansing of Tartars.
4. How did Herzen see history?
(a) Herzen saw history as a movement of spiritual forces.
(b) Herzen saw history as the narrative imposed after events.
(c) Herzen saw history as a mechanistic development.
(d) Herzen saw history as the mind of God thinking.
5. Which thinker saw progress in the growth of national cultures?
6. Whose writing was Russia "intellectually dependent" upon?
(a) Plato and Plotinus.
(b) Fichte and Schelling.
(c) Hume and Locke.
(d) Flaubert and Rousseau.
7. What, according to Berlin, did Tolstoy see as futile?
(a) Sharing experience between two people.
(b) Transcendent experience.
(c) Fulfilling individual experience.
(d) Searching for grand designs in events.
8. What was the name of the committee in charge of government censorship?
(a) The Decembrist Committee.
(b) The Second of April Committee.
(c) The Comintern.
(d) The Homeland Purity Committee.
9. How did the epoch that followed the Tsar's acts in the wake of the Decembrist Rebellions end?
(a) With the Tsar's death in 1855.
(b) With the Tsar's overthrow in 1850.
(c) With Tsar's conversion in 1845.
(d) With the German invasion of 1848.
10. When did the Decembrist rebellion take place?
11. What part of Tolstoy's legacy do critics praise?
(a) His symbolic descriptions.
(b) His chronicler of human experience.
(c) His theorizing.
(d) His moralizing.
12. Whose novels did the Russian Intelligentsia influence?
13. What as Alexander Herzen's employment?
(a) He was an effective publicist.
(b) He was a censor in the government.
(c) He was a famous playwright.
(d) He was an education minister.
14. How does Berlin characterize Bakunin's ideas?
(a) Innovative but ineffectual.
(b) Unique and popular.
(c) Earnest but unoriginal.
(d) Revolutionary and dangerous.
15. Who was exiled to Siberia because of the trial of a group of conspirators?
(a) Leo Tolstoy.
(b) Nikolai Gogol.
(c) Alexander Pushkin.
(d) Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistake did Tsar Nicholas I make about European universities?
2. What was Turgenev's "negative Hegelianism?"
3. What does Berlin say Tolstoy felt guilty about?
4. Who was Mikhail Bakunin's mentor?
5. What effect did German Romanticism have on Russian students?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)