|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Herzen and Bakunin on Individual Liberty.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Berlin say Tolstoy felt guilty about?
(a) Having too much insight as an artist.
(b) Not having an overarching vision.
(c) Having too much wealth as a landowner.
(d) Being too separate from the lives of the peasants.
2. How did the epoch that followed the Tsar's acts in the wake of the Decembrist Rebellions end?
(a) With the German invasion of 1848.
(b) With the Tsar's overthrow in 1850.
(c) With Tsar's conversion in 1845.
(d) With the Tsar's death in 1855.
3. What value came first for Herzen?
(b) Equality of the sexes.
(c) Human dignity.
(d) Social justice.
4. What popular idea did Herzen disagree with?
(a) Herzen disagreed with the notion of a pattern in historical events.
(b) Herzen disagreed with the notion of state power as a justification for violence.
(c) Herzen disagreed with the notion of individual freedom.
(d) Herzen disagreed with the notion that peasants deserve representation in government.
5. How does Berlin describe Herzen's legacy?
(a) He sees Herzen as underestimated.
(b) He sees Herzen as a momentary celebrity.
(c) He sees Herzen as a founder of Russian literature.
(d) He sees Herzen as overvalued.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was de Maistre's position?
2. What was the name of the committee in charge of government censorship?
3. What did Herzen predict in "From the Other Shore"?
4. What part of Tolstoy's legacy do critics praise?
5. What do hedgehogs represent in the adage that "the fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing"?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)