|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Herzen and Bakunin on Individual Liberty.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do foxes represent in the adage that "the fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing"?
(a) Political calculations.
(c) The concreteness of experience.
2. What were de Maistre's views?
(a) He attacked Enlightenment notions of progress.
(b) He developed Enlightenment notions of progress.
(c) He satirized Enlightenment notions of progress.
(d) He advanced Enlightenment notions of progress.
3. When had the European states experienced revolution?
4. How did the Tsar's political stance change after the Decembrist rebellion?
(a) He adopted a series of reforms.
(b) He moved away from reform.
(c) He stepped down.
(d) He abandoned tradition.
5. What popular idea did Herzen disagree with?
(a) Herzen disagreed with the notion of individual freedom.
(b) Herzen disagreed with the notion that peasants deserve representation in government.
(c) Herzen disagreed with the notion of state power as a justification for violence.
(d) Herzen disagreed with the notion of a pattern in historical events.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tolstoy's relationship with Joseph de Maistre?
2. How do Tolstoy and de Maistre's views differ?
3. Which thinker affected Herzen?
4. Who was Joseph de Maistre?
5. What as Alexander Herzen's employment?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)