|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Remarkable Decade: Vissarion Belinsky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Herzen predict in "From the Other Shore"?
(a) World War I.
(b) The triumph of Communism in Russia.
(c) The decline of Europe.
(d) The Thirty Years War.
2. When did the Russian intelligentsia emerge from university?
3. What qualities did the characters based on Belinsky possess?
(a) Dreamy romanticism.
(b) Nihilistic recklessness.
(c) Awkward earnestness.
(d) Diabolical political stances.
4. How do Tolstoy and de Maistre's views differ?
(a) Tolstoy was a humanist.
(b) Tolstoy was an aristocrat.
(c) de Maistre was a conspirator against the Tsar.
(d) de Maistre was a Catholic reactionary.
5. What does Berlin say was the "French" attitude toward the arts?
(a) Moral faults in the artist do not affect the artwork.
(b) Artists are only legitimate if they are bohemian: sloppy and irresponsible.
(c) Artists are the saviors and redeemers of culture.
(d) Artists are prophets whose lives are instructive to the masses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Herzen see as the individual's role in history?
2. How does Berlin describe Herzen's importance?
3. How does Berlin describe Herzen's legacy?
4. What does Berlin mean when he says that Tolstoy was a fox who believed in being a hedgehog?
5. What forces dominated Herzen's world?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)