|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the is not used in the prologue to describe something that is worth all of the effort Torey puts unto her students?
2. How does Sheila say that she learned such big words for a six year old?
3. How old was the little girl who burned the three-year old boy after tying him to a tree?
4. What topic isn't brought up by Sheila, Torey or any of the kids?
5. What food item does the class make during cooking time today?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shelia get to the classroom and how does she appear?
2. Who does Shelia live with and what events transpired to lead to her current living arrangement?
3. What does Torey read in the article from the newspaper and what does this lead her to predict?
4. How does Sheila explain to Torey that she was able to know such advanced vocabulary terms?
5. Who has had it with Sheila's behavior and what happens between this person and Torey?
6. What does Torey do to relieve the stress she experiences from her day with the children?
7. What does Sheila do when the children are participating in the cooking activity?
8. What happens when Torey tries to show Shelia around the classroom?
9. What does Torey say about her work?
10. What happens when Torey computes Shelia's score and what does this mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways did the abandonment by Sheila's mother effect her? Do you believe Sheila appropriately interrupted her mother's leaving? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Sheila should have been placed in foster care? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does Mr. Collins reinforce Sheila's belief that adults are mean people who cannot be trusted? In what ways does he work to change that belief?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)