|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Torey agree to do when Sheila tells her that she cannot accept the gift?
2. With which of the following statements would Torey disagree?
3. When does Torey find out that she will have an addition to her classroom?
4. What does Torey feel about Anton's hope that he will fulfill his dream of going back to school and getting a teaching degree?
5. What does Ed remind Torey when he is called in after the incident when Sheila destroys the other teacher's classroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How far is Sheila going and what does she tell Torey about the entire process?
2. Why does Torey spend time reading to Sheila after school?
3. What does Torey do to relieve the stress she experiences from her day with the children?
4. What expectations does Torey set with Sheila before the start of the school day?
5. What does Torey read in the article from the newspaper and what does this lead her to predict?
6. What are the two rules that all of the students must follow in Torey's classroom?
7. Who does Shelia live with and what events transpired to lead to her current living arrangement?
8. What happens when Torey tries to show Shelia around the classroom?
9. What does Sheila tell Torey about her brother Jimmie and why does Torey say her mother took Jimmie?
10. What does Torey do to try to overcome Sheila's refusal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the reader's hope for Sheila changes throughout the book. At what point is it at the highest level? At what point is it at the lowest level.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Sheila seem to be competitive? Do you think this is a positive or negative trait in her? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways are compassion and patience the underlying themes in this book? Do you believe in these themes? Why or why not?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)