|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ed get Shelia to the classroom on her first day?
2. How long does Torey tell Shelia she must stay in the quiet chair?
3. What does Torey try to do once all of the children are gone?
4. Why does Sheila say she doesn't cry?
5. What does Sheila's father tell Torey about Sheila?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sheila feel about the clothes Torey found for her and why does she feel that way?
2. What is the motivation of the creation of this novel for Torey?
3. What does Torey say makes everything she puts into her work worthwhile?
4. What does Torey tell the children about the Kobold box?
5. What is Torey's class comprised of in relation to the other students in the school?
6. What are the two rules that all of the students must follow in Torey's classroom?
7. What does Torey do to relieve the stress she experiences from her day with the children?
8. How does Torey view the children with which she works?
9. What expectations does Torey set with Sheila before the start of the school day?
10. What did Torey find most surprising in the file she read on Shelia and what did she think about the statement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Sheila's level of intelligence seem to make her situation seem more horrible? Do you agree with that evaluation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did the character Whitney surprise you as the reader? What contradictions can be found in that character?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is Sheila like a typical girl of her age? In what ways does she seem older? In what ways does she seem younger?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)