|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ed get Shelia to the classroom on her first day?
2. What is Torey's favorite television show?
3. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term bond as it is used to describe the relationship between Torey and her students?
4. What small step towards progress occurred during the rest of the afternoon?
5. Where is Shelia expected to go from Torey's class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has had it with Sheila's behavior and what happens between this person and Torey?
2. How does Torey start each morning and what happens during this time?
3. What does Torey read in the article from the newspaper and what does this lead her to predict?
4. What does Torey do to relieve the stress she experiences from her day with the children?
5. What information does Torey learn when she contacts Sheila's previous teacher and how does the conversation leave her feeling?
6. What does Sheila ask Torey about the story the Little Prince and how does Torey respond?
7. Who does Shelia live with and what events transpired to lead to her current living arrangement?
8. What does Sheila tell Torey about her brother Jimmie and why does Torey say her mother took Jimmie?
9. What expectations does Torey set with Sheila before the start of the school day?
10. Why does Torey stop asking Sheila questions about the scars she sees on her body as she bathes her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does Mr. Collins reinforce Sheila's belief that adults are mean people who cannot be trusted? In what ways does he work to change that belief?
Essay Topic 2
How does the character Mr. Collins change throughout the novel? Do you think he has any regrets about his early behavior? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the reader's hope for Sheila changes throughout the book. At what point is it at the highest level? At what point is it at the lowest level.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)