|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Torey try to use with Shelia during her math time?
2. Which of the is not used in the prologue to describe something that is worth all of the effort Torey puts unto her students?
3. What does Sheila do at the end of the day after the other students are gone?
4. What happens when Anton and Torey arrive at Sheila's shack?
5. How did Torey feel about accepting the position that Ed was offering her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Write a description of Torey's aides in this new classroom.
2. What does Torey say about her work?
3. What happens when Torey computes Shelia's score and what does this mean?
4. What is the motivation of the creation of this novel for Torey?
5. What does Sheila tell Torey about her brother Jimmie and why does Torey say her mother took Jimmie?
6. What is one of the reasons that Torey decides to take the job that Ed Somers has offered her?
7. Who has had it with Sheila's behavior and what happens between this person and Torey?
8. How does Torey view the children with which she works?
9. What does Sheila continue to refuse to do and what does she do as part of her refusal?
10. How does Torey start each morning and what happens during this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the reader's hope for Sheila changes throughout the book. At what point is it at the highest level? At what point is it at the lowest level.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did Torey implement the idea of reverse psychology to help improve Sheila's behavior? Do you believe this was an effective teaching tool? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is Sheila like a typical girl of her age? In what ways does she seem older? In what ways does she seem younger?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)