|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity was the class doing when Sheila first participated with the other students?
2. What happens when Anton and Torey arrive at Sheila's shack?
3. What present does Torey give to Sheila?
4. How does Sheila indicate to Torey that she is ready to complete the math activities?
5. How does Sheila say she received the scar on her leg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Torey say makes everything she puts into her work worthwhile?
2. How does Sheila explain to Torey that she was able to know such advanced vocabulary terms?
3. How does Torey start each morning and what happens during this time?
4. What scene do Torey and Anton walk in on after they hear the shriek and Tyler runs into the room screaming about eyes and the new girl?
5. What did Torey find most surprising in the file she read on Shelia and what did she think about the statement?
6. What happens for Torey and Anton during the students lunch period?
7. What is one of the reasons that Torey decides to take the job that Ed Somers has offered her?
8. What does Sheila continue to refuse to do and what does she do as part of her refusal?
9. Write a description of Torey's aides in this new classroom.
10. What information does Torey learn from the social worker that brings Sheila to school the next morning and how does that leave her feeling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways are compassion and patience the underlying themes in this book? Do you believe in these themes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the reader's hope for Sheila changes throughout the book. At what point is it at the highest level? At what point is it at the lowest level.
Essay Topic 3
In what way does Mr. Collins reinforce Sheila's belief that adults are mean people who cannot be trusted? In what ways does he work to change that belief?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)