|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is one of the stories which Sheila becomes enthralled with?
2. With which of the following statements would Torey disagree?
3. Which of the following is described by the author as her motivation for writing this book?
4. What option does Ed give Torey so that she will not go over the state maximum number of students?
5. How does Sheila initially react to the present that Torey gave her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Shelia live with and what events transpired to lead to her current living arrangement?
2. What is one of the reasons that Torey decides to take the job that Ed Somers has offered her?
3. What information does Torey learn from the social worker that brings Sheila to school the next morning and how does that leave her feeling?
4. What does Torey say makes everything she puts into her work worthwhile?
5. Who has had it with Sheila's behavior and what happens between this person and Torey?
6. What are the two rules that all of the students must follow in Torey's classroom?
7. What happens when Torey computes Shelia's score and what does this mean?
8. How does Sheila feel about the clothes Torey found for her and why does she feel that way?
9. What does Torey do when Sheila throws the blocks across the room at Tyler and how does Sheila respond?
10. What does Sheila continue to refuse to do and what does she do as part of her refusal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe Sheila poked the eyes out of the fish? How do you think the other children felt at this point? Do you believe Torey handled the situation appropriately? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Sheila's level of intelligence seem to make her situation seem more horrible? Do you agree with that evaluation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, in detail, Sheila's home life. What impressions do you have about her father? What gives you these impressions? Do you believe he cares about his daughter? Why or why not?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)