|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Torey tries to force Sheila to do paperwork?
2. What does Torey feel about Anton's hope that he will fulfill his dream of going back to school and getting a teaching degree?
3. Which student does Sheila hurt at the beginning of chapter five?
4. How many students is Torey assigned for her new classroom?
5. What is Torey astonished to realize that Sheila was never taught?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Torey start each morning and what happens during this time?
2. What does Torey say makes everything she puts into her work worthwhile?
3. What expectations does Torey set with Sheila before the start of the school day?
4. Why does Torey stop asking Sheila questions about the scars she sees on her body as she bathes her?
5. Who does Shelia live with and what events transpired to lead to her current living arrangement?
6. Who has had it with Sheila's behavior and what happens between this person and Torey?
7. What does Sheila continue to refuse to do and what does she do as part of her refusal?
8. What does Sheila tell Torey about her brother Jimmie and why does Torey say her mother took Jimmie?
9. What scene do Torey and Anton walk in on after they hear the shriek and Tyler runs into the room screaming about eyes and the new girl?
10. What is the motivation of the creation of this novel for Torey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Sheila seem to be competitive? Do you think this is a positive or negative trait in her? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways are compassion and patience the underlying themes in this book? Do you believe in these themes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the character Mr. Collins change throughout the novel? Do you think he has any regrets about his early behavior? Why or why not?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)