|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sheila associate going to another class with in her own life?
(a) Having no friends.
(b) Her mother's abandonment.
(c) Her father's drinking.
(d) Punishment for being bad.
2. What does Torey feel about Anton's hope that he will fulfill his dream of going back to school and getting a teaching degree?
(a) She knows he will achieve that dream.
(b) She is surprised that is his dream.
(c) She is not hopeful.
(d) She admires him for wanting to take that step.
3. What specific thing about Shelia bothers Torey and causes her to try and figure out where it comes from?
(a) Refusal to talk to the other students.
(b) High intellect.
(c) Ability to read anything.
(d) Speech pattern.
4. Whose name appears on several of the Kobold's notes at the end of the day when Torey reads them?
(b) Savannah Joy.
5. Where does Torey get some clothes for Sheila?
(a) From Whitney's family.
(b) Church box in the school office.
(c) From a girlfriend who has a young child.
(d) A local charity.
6. Why does it seem that Sheila is so worried about getting the wrong answers?
(a) She believes that all of the other students got all of the answers right.
(b) She wants to always please Torey.
(c) She is afraid of being whipped when she is wrong.
(d) She thinks she will have to leave the classroom if she gets them wrong.
7. What does Torey do with Sheila after school?
(a) She completes hygiene lessons.
(b) She works on trying to get her to complete paperwork.
(c) She reads to her.
(d) She practices trying to get her to learn to tie.
8. What happens when Torey tries to force Sheila to do paperwork?
(a) Sheila stabs Torey with a pencil.
(b) Sheila runs out of the room.
(c) Sheila breaks free and shouts that she hates Torey.
(d) Sheila becomes limp and does nothing.
9. Which of the following is the name of one student to whom Torey refers in the introduction as having touched her life?
10. What does Sheila respond to that helps her behavior slowly improve?
(a) Student reactions.
(b) Anton's praise.
(c) Hints from Torey.
(d) Kobold notes.
11. With which of the following statements would Torey agree?
(a) Her work has many rewards.
(b) Her work is exhausting.
(c) Time put in equals rewards.
(d) Her students should not be in a public school setting.
12. Why can the reader infer that many people view Torey's work as frustrating and sad?
(a) Because they lack empathy skills.
(b) Because they pity her students.
(c) Because they are unaware of this type of student.
(d) Because they do not understand education.
13. How does Torey indicate that most people view her work?
(a) Frustrating and sad.
(d) Awe inspiring.
14. Why does Mr. Collins paddle Sheila?
(a) She tore up the paperwork he had.
(b) She ran away from the playground.
(c) She destroyed a teacher's classroom.
(d) She started a food fight in the cafeteria.
15. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term bond as it is used to describe the relationship between Torey and her students?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many students is Torey assigned for her new classroom?
2. What news does the social worker give to Torey about Shelia's arrival and leaving every day?
3. Who does Sheila compare herself and Torey to in the story she loves?
4. How did Torey feel about accepting the position that Ed was offering her?
5. What does Shelia do that upsets her and makes her worried that Torey will whip her?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)