|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Torey find out that she will have an addition to her classroom?
(a) Just after the year begins.
(b) Just before summer break.
(c) Just after Thanksgiving break.
(d) Just after Christmas vacation.
2. Which of the following is true about the trip to lunch on that first day with Shelia?
(a) She follows Torey out of the room, but will not touch her.
(b) Anton goes and brings Shelia back her own lunch.
(c) Shelia refuses to leave the chair or talk to Torey.
(d) The class eats within their own classroom.
3. What specific thing about Shelia bothers Torey and causes her to try and figure out where it comes from?
(a) High intellect.
(b) Refusal to talk to the other students.
(c) Ability to read anything.
(d) Speech pattern.
4. What does Torey think is the next important area to work on with Sheila?
(a) Personal hygiene.
(b) Social skills.
(c) Math skills.
(d) Reading skills.
5. What does Sheila's father tell Torey about Sheila?
(a) That she is bad news.
(b) That she is evil.
(c) That she is not his child.
(d) That she drinks with him.
6. What does Sheila associate going to another class with in her own life?
(a) Her mother's abandonment.
(b) Punishment for being bad.
(c) Having no friends.
(d) Her father's drinking.
7. What does Sheila do after the other children have left until it is time for her to leave?
(a) She sits in her chair and watches Torey work.
(b) She wanders around the room and touches things.
(c) She roots through all of the other students desks.
(d) She turns her back to Torey.
8. What does Sheila declare about the classroom and Torey?
(a) It is a class she wants to leave.
(b) They are all crazy.
(c) It is not meant for her.
(d) They do not like her.
9. With which of the following statements would Torey agree?
(a) Her students should not be in a public school setting.
(b) Her work has many rewards.
(c) Time put in equals rewards.
(d) Her work is exhausting.
10. How does Sheila indicate to Torey that she is ready to complete the math activities?
(a) She yells across the room saying she is ready to do her work.
(b) She touches her arm and nods when asked if she is ready.
(c) She raises her hand until Torey acknnowledges her.
(d) She goes back to her seat and completes the math work.
11. Which of the following seems to be an accurate description of Sheila in chapter six?
(a) She is unteachable.
(b) She is eager to learn.
(c) She seems to be afraid of Torey.
(d) She seems psychopathic.
12. What topic isn't brought up by Sheila, Torey or any of the kids?
(a) The burning incident.
(b) The goldfish incident.
(c) The hygiene issue.
(d) Sheila's missing mother.
13. How does Torey make attempts to contact Sheila's father before she and Anton go to visit the migrant camp?
(a) Parent teacher conferences.
(b) Home visits.
(d) Phone calls.
14. When is the only time that Shelia moves out of her chair within the classroom?
(a) When one of the students comes close to her.
(b) When she hears a loud noise.
(c) When Torey calls her name.
(d) To go to the bathroom.
15. Why does Torey end up putting Shelia on her lap during the math activity?
(a) So she will feel safe.
(b) So she can talk quietly in her ear.
(c) So she cannot move.
(d) So she can help her complete the math activity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term bond as it is used to describe the relationship between Torey and her students?
2. What does Sheila do at the end of the day after the other students are gone?
3. What happens when Anton and Torey arrive at Sheila's shack?
4. What does Torey indicate that she refuses to do in regards to mentally ill children?
5. Which of the following is one of the stories which Sheila becomes enthralled with?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)