|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Torey tries to get Shelia to do the math papers?
(a) She wads up the paper and throws it.
(b) She does nothing.
(c) She cries.
(d) She tears up the paper.
2. How do the other children in the classroom react to Shelia's abuse of the goldfish?
(a) They cry and run in circles.
(b) They laugh and point at Shelia.
(c) They run out of the classroom.
(d) They cower in fear and astonishment.
3. Which of the following is described by the author as her motivation for writing this book?
(a) Love for her students.
(b) Love of teaching.
(c) Interest in sharing a story.
(d) Disability awareness.
4. What does Torey do to Shelia when it is time for lunch?
(a) She holds out her hand and asks her to go with her.
(b) She carries her to the cafeteria.
(c) She lets her sitting in the room alone.
(d) She takes her to the office to wait until she will speak.
5. Which of the following is the name of one student to whom Torey refers in the introduction as having touched her life?
6. What does Torey indicate that she refuses to do in regards to mentally ill children?
(a) Pity them.
(b) Hold them to societal standards.
(c) Surprise them.
(d) Hospitalize them.
7. Which of the is not used in the prologue to describe something that is worth all of the effort Torey puts unto her students?
(a) Moment of social awareness.
(b) Moment of peace.
(c) Moment of learning.
(d) Moment of understanding.
8. What surprises Torey about Shelia's file?
(a) It is very censored.
(b) It describes a different child from the one Torey has seen.
(c) It is very thin.
(d) It contains too much information for such a young child.
9. Which of the following is the best synonym for motivation as it is used in the prologue?
10. How old was the little girl who burned the three-year old boy after tying him to a tree?
11. Where does Torey get some clothes for Sheila?
(a) A local charity.
(b) From Whitney's family.
(c) Church box in the school office.
(d) From a girlfriend who has a young child.
12. What does Shelia do with the items Torey attempts to use during her math time?
(a) She shoves them into Torey's face.
(b) She throws them across the room at another student.
(c) She refuses to do anything with them at all.
(d) She hides them under her chair and desk.
13. What does Sheila ask Torey?
(a) If she can take her home.
(b) If she loves her.
(c) If she is special to her.
(d) If she wants her to be good.
14. What small step towards progress occurred during the rest of the afternoon?
(a) Sheila moved her chair according to where the group was.
(b) Sheila spoke to Torey.
(c) Anton was able to get Sheila to complete a math paper.
(d) The other children continued to work on their own work.
15. Why does it seem that Sheila is so worried about getting the wrong answers?
(a) She thinks she will have to leave the classroom if she gets them wrong.
(b) She is afraid of being whipped when she is wrong.
(c) She believes that all of the other students got all of the answers right.
(d) She wants to always please Torey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Torey feel about Anton's hope that he will fulfill his dream of going back to school and getting a teaching degree?
2. What news does the social worker give to Torey about Shelia's arrival and leaving every day?
3. With which of the following statements would Torey agree?
4. What does Torey agree to do when Sheila tells her that she cannot accept the gift?
5. What does Sheila declare about the classroom and Torey?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)