|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the best definition for a prologue?
2. How does Torey make attempts to contact Sheila's father before she and Anton go to visit the migrant camp?
(a) Home visits.
(b) Parent teacher conferences.
(c) Phone calls.
3. What surprises Torey about Shelia's file?
(a) It is very thin.
(b) It describes a different child from the one Torey has seen.
(c) It is very censored.
(d) It contains too much information for such a young child.
4. What does Shelia do while she is in the quiet chair?
(a) Stands up.
(c) Nothing at all.
(d) Stomps her feet.
5. On the morning that Shelia arrives what does Torey allow the students to ask questions about during sharing?
(a) Girls versus boys.
(b) Being new.
(c) Classroom rules.
(d) Setting fires.
6. Why does Torey end up putting Shelia on her lap during the math activity?
(a) So she can talk quietly in her ear.
(b) So she will feel safe.
(c) So she can help her complete the math activity.
(d) So she cannot move.
7. What does Sheila ask Torey?
(a) If she is special to her.
(b) If she can take her home.
(c) If she loves her.
(d) If she wants her to be good.
8. Why does it seem that Sheila is so worried about getting the wrong answers?
(a) She wants to always please Torey.
(b) She believes that all of the other students got all of the answers right.
(c) She is afraid of being whipped when she is wrong.
(d) She thinks she will have to leave the classroom if she gets them wrong.
9. Which of the following is the best synonym for motivation as it is used in the prologue?
10. Whose name appears on several of the Kobold's notes at the end of the day when Torey reads them?
(a) Savannah Joy.
11. What does Torey think is the next important area to work on with Sheila?
(a) Reading skills.
(b) Personal hygiene.
(c) Social skills.
(d) Math skills.
12. Who will Sheila be riding the bus with?
(b) Migrant workers.
(c) No one.
(d) High school students.
13. What activity was the class doing when Sheila first participated with the other students?
(a) Reading a story.
(b) Cooking some food.
(c) Going to an assembly.
(d) Singing a song.
14. Which of the following is not one of the things Shelia's father said about her?
(a) She is a loner.
(b) She sucks her thumb.
(c) She cries.
(d) She wets the bed.
15. Why can the reader infer that many people view Torey's work as frustrating and sad?
(a) Because they lack empathy skills.
(b) Because they pity her students.
(c) Because they are unaware of this type of student.
(d) Because they do not understand education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sheila say when Sheila tells her that someday she will go to another class?
2. What distracts Shelia and allows Torey to attempt to snatch away the pencil?
3. What option does Ed give Torey so that she will not go over the state maximum number of students?
4. How does Torey begin each day?
5. What food item does the class make during cooking time today?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)