|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was the little girl who burned the three-year old boy after tying him to a tree?
2. Where does Shelia head when she runs out of the classroom?
3. Why does Torey end up putting Shelia on her lap during the math activity?
(a) So she can help her complete the math activity.
(b) So she cannot move.
(c) So she will feel safe.
(d) So she can talk quietly in her ear.
4. Who does Sheila compare herself and Torey to in the story she loves?
(a) She says that Torey is like the fox and she is like the Prince.
(b) She says she is special to Torey just like the fox is special to the Prince.
(c) She says that they are not anything like the book.
(d) She says that she is a princess which is almost like a prince.
5. What happens when Torey tries to get Shelia to do the math papers?
(a) She wads up the paper and throws it.
(b) She does nothing.
(c) She cries.
(d) She tears up the paper.
6. What is Torey's favorite television show?
(a) Brady Bunch.
(b) Star Trek.
(c) Welcome Back Kotter.
(d) Little House on the Praire.
7. What surprises Torey about Shelia's file?
(a) It is very censored.
(b) It contains too much information for such a young child.
(c) It describes a different child from the one Torey has seen.
(d) It is very thin.
8. How does Ed get Shelia to the classroom on her first day?
(a) Walks her in nicely.
(b) Shoves her in the room.
(c) Carries her.
(d) Drags her.
9. What is unique about Sheila's home situation in regards to water?
(a) She is unable to bathe.
(b) She only has a pail of water for drinking in the house.
(c) She has to wash in the same bucket she drinks from.
(d) She is not allowed to have any water.
10. When does Torey find out that she will have an addition to her classroom?
(a) Just after Christmas vacation.
(b) Just before summer break.
(c) Just after the year begins.
(d) Just after Thanksgiving break.
11. What does Sheila do when Torey finishes the math work with her and tells her to put the blocks away?
(a) She walks back to the quiet chair and sits.
(b) She works with the blocks on her own.
(c) She goes to the corner and watches all of the other students.
(d) She puts the blocks away and reads with the other kids.
12. What does Shelia do that upsets her and makes her worried that Torey will whip her?
(a) Wets her pants.
(b) Kicks Anton in the shin.
(c) Deflates some of the gym balls.
(d) Draws on the gym floor.
13. Which of the following is not one of the things Shelia's father said about her?
(a) She cries.
(b) She wets the bed.
(c) She sucks her thumb.
(d) She is a loner.
14. How did Torey feel about accepting the position that Ed was offering her?
(a) She had reservations.
(b) She declined it.
(c) She was excited.
(d) She was unsure and wanted to visit the students before deciding.
15. How does Torey begin each day?
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did Torey have the previous year before Ed Somers contacted her about having a classroom of her own?
2. What does Chad bring to Torey after her favorite show ends?
3. Which of the following is described by the author as her motivation for writing this book?
4. What happens when Anton and Torey arrive at Sheila's shack?
5. Why can the reader infer that many people view Torey's work as frustrating and sad?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)