|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who challenges Crassus' views with historical counter-examples?
2. When was the excerpt of "The Dream of Scipio" rediscovered?
(a) Post revolutionary war.
(b) The medieval period.
(c) Prior to Cicero's "On the Good Life."
(d) The Renaissance.
3. What does reciprocity suggest about friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) Friendship is not based on exchange.
(b) Frienship is not a reciprocal relationship.
(c) Everything is reciprocal.
(d) The relationship is based on exhange.
4. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to focus on, in his dream?
(a) Being a just and virtuous person.
(c) His perception.
(d) Heavenly reality.
5. Who hosts the other men involved in the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "On the Orator" considered to be in comparison to the rest of "On the Good Life"?
2. What two types of men cannot be friends, according to Laelius?
3. What type of writing style is "Laelius: On Friendship" written in?
4. What is an earth year in comparison to a cosmic year, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
5. What needs to exist between friends to ensure a permanence of friendship, according to Laelius?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "On the Orator" discuss?
2. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do at the end of his dream?
3. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
4. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
5. What is Scipio's connection to God?
6. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
7. What did Antonius believe is a requirement of a great orator?
8. Compare an earth year to a cosmic year.
9. Why is Crassus disappointed in Antonius at the end of "On the Orator"?
10. Where does Scipio go in his dream in Chapter 5?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)