|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of writing style is "Laelius: On Friendship" written in?
2. When did Laelius's friend die in relation to when Cicero wrote "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) 150 or 140 years prior.
(b) While he was writing it.
(c) A few years before he wrote it.
(d) A few years after he wrote it.
3. What must Scipio reflect, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) His peaceful mind.
(b) His love for God.
(c) The peace of God within him.
(d) His oratory skills in other.
4. According to Laelius, how is friendship formed?
(a) Through thought.
(b) Through desire.
(c) Through love.
(d) Through food.
5. What needs to exist between friends to ensure a permanence of friendship, according to Laelius?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "On the Orator" considered in Latin?
2. Where does Scipio travel in his dream?
3. Where does Scipio go in his dream?
4. What question does Cicero ask his brother, concerning what great oratory requires?
5. What must the orator master?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the orator must do when giving a speech.
2. Describe what "Laelius: On Friendship" discusses and who the speakers are.
3. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
4. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do at the end of his dream?
5. What is the difference between kinship and friendship?
6. What was oratory considered in the ancient world?
7. What was Laelius's attitude towards friendship?
8. Describe the length and history of "The Dream of Scipio."
9. What happens as the dream opens, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
10. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)