|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sends Scipio into tears just by the sight of him, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) Scipio's father.
(b) Scipio's family.
(c) Scipio's friend.
(d) Scipio's mother.
2. What two types of men cannot be friends, according to Laelius?
(a) Rich and poor.
(b) Good and bad.
(c) Good and poor.
(d) Giving and selfish.
3. What does oratory require beside good speech, according to "On the Orator"?
(a) Motivated thought.
(b) A desire to move others through words.
(c) General idea of other topics.
(d) Knowledge of many subjects.
4. What is the name of Cicero's brother he writes to?
5. What needs to exist between friends to ensure a permanence of friendship, according to Laelius?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Laelius's friend die in relation to when Cicero wrote "Laelius: On Friendship"?
2. What does Africanus argue about God, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
3. Who challenges Crassus' views with historical counter-examples?
4. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," when should a person make the decision to keep a friend?
5. What question does Cicero ask his brother, concerning what great oratory requires?
Short Essay Questions
1. What should people look for in friend according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
2. Describe how "On the Orator" ends.
3. Compare an earth year to a cosmic year.
4. Where does Scipio go in his dream in Chapter 5?
5. What was Laelius's attitude towards friendship?
6. Describe what "The Dream of Scipio" illustrates in relation to philosophy.
7. Describe the length and history of "The Dream of Scipio."
8. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
9. What is the difference between kinship and friendship?
10. What did the Stoics believe about the death of a friend?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)