|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Laelius, what two things should be avoided in friendship?
(a) Hypocrisy and pretense.
(b) Condemnation and pretense.
(c) Insult and pretense.
(d) Hypocrisy and insult.
2. When was Laelius born in relation to when Cicero wrote "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) 3 years after he was born.
(b) 80 years after he was born.
(c) 150 or 140 years later.
(d) 150 or 140 years prior.
3. What does Laelius argue about a life without friends?
(a) It is simple and peaceful.
(b) It is lonely.
(c) It is not worth living.
(d) It is unfulfilled.
4. Who was Laelius friends with?
(a) Scipio Africanus.
(d) Scipio Africa.
5. Who visits Scipio in his dream?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His dad.
(d) His grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cicero argue the art of oratory requires?
2. Whom does Cicero note the art of oratory is possessed by?
3. What two types of men cannot be friends, according to Laelius?
4. What does Crassus compare oratory to?
5. What is the name of Cicero's brother he writes to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the orator must do when giving a speech.
2. Describe what "The Dream of Scipio" illustrates in relation to philosophy.
3. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
4. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," what makes the best friendship?
5. What happens as the dream opens, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
6. Describe what "Laelius: On Friendship" discusses and who the speakers are.
7. What is Scipio's connection to God?
8. What should people look for in friend according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
9. Why is Crassus disappointed in Antonius at the end of "On the Orator"?
10. Compare an earth year to a cosmic year.
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)