|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Laelius's friend die in relation to when Cicero wrote "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) A few years before he wrote it.
(b) 150 or 140 years prior.
(c) A few years after he wrote it.
(d) While he was writing it.
2. What does God want Scipio to do, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) Guide his country.
(b) Tend to the earth.
(c) Join the afterlife.
(d) Rule his country.
3. According to "On the Orator," who thought about the skill of oratory and rhetoric?
(a) Greek leaders.
(b) Great Greek and Roman thinkers.
(c) Greek and Roman leaders.
(d) Roman Catholics.
4. What does the dialogue concern itself with in "On the Orator"?
(a) A list of people.
(b) A poem.
(c) A list of works.
(d) A debate.
5. What must Scipio reflect, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) The peace of God within him.
(b) His love for God.
(c) His oratory skills in other.
(d) His peaceful mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cicero return to Rome, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
2. What is an earth year in comparison to a cosmic year, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
3. Who does Laelius speak with about his friendship with Scipio?
4. How does Antonius feel the orator should approach speech?
5. Where are the other men involved located, during the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the spheres of the planets, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
2. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
3. What happens as the dream opens, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
4. What was oratory considered in the ancient world?
5. Describe what the orator must do when giving a speech.
6. Describe the length and history of "The Dream of Scipio."
7. Describe what "The Dream of Scipio" illustrates in relation to philosophy.
8. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do at the end of his dream?
9. Why is Crassus disappointed in Antonius at the end of "On the Orator"?
10. When was "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)