|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What needs to exist between friends to ensure a permanence of friendship, according to Laelius?
2. What does Laelius argue against the Stoics?
(a) That a man should not be upset by the death of a friend.
(b) That materials bring happiness.
(c) That friends are material things.
(d) That friendship is a transition in life.
3. What do the younger men ask Crassus to tell them in "On the Orator"?
(a) The nature of oratory.
(b) The nature of art.
(c) How he became a polished orator.
(d) If they could be good orators.
4. What does "Laelius: On Friendship" concern itself with?
(a) What makes a friend a friend.
(b) Laelius's idea of friendship.
(c) Laelius's meditation of his legendary friendship.
(d) Cicero's concept of friendship.
5. Who does Laelius argue friendship is only possible for?
(c) Bad men.
(d) Good men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who challenges Crassus' views with historical counter-examples?
2. What is Cicero known as, according to "On the Orator"?
3. Why is friendship more potent that kinship, according to Laelius ?
4. What does Africanus argue about God, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
5. Where does "The Dream of Scipio" begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
2. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do at the end of his dream?
3. What does "On the Orator" discuss?
4. What is the purpose of the spheres of the planets, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
5. Where does Scipio go in his dream in Chapter 5?
6. Why is Crassus disappointed in Antonius at the end of "On the Orator"?
7. What do great orators possess, according to "On the Orator"?
8. What is Scipio's connection to God?
9. Describe when the dialogue of "On the Orator" took place and the importance of the work.
10. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)