|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is friendship more potent that kinship, according to Laelius ?
(a) Kinship is unnatural.
(b) Kinship does not imply a non-physical bond.
(c) Kinship is forced.
(d) Friendship is natural.
2. When was Cicero's essay "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
(a) Before Caesar's assasination.
(b) After his daughter's death.
(c) After Caesar's assasination.
(d) After his divorce.
3. What does Laelius believe makes goods truly good?
(c) Jealousy of others.
4. What is the name of Cicero's brother he writes to?
5. What does Cicero aim to determine in "On the Orator"?
(a) What kind of man the orator must be to rule the Roman Empire.
(b) What makes a man a good orator.
(c) What kind of man the orator must be to rule the Greek Empire.
(d) Who is better at oratory than he is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "On the Orator" considered in Latin?
2. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," what makes friendship possible?
3. Whom does Cicero note the art of oratory is possessed by?
4. In "The Dream of Scipio," where does God exist in the universe?
5. What two types of men cannot be friends, according to Laelius?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
2. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
3. What did Antonius believe is a requirement of a great orator?
4. What was oratory considered in the ancient world?
5. Describe how "On the Orator" ends.
6. What is the purpose of the spheres of the planets, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
7. Describe what "Laelius: On Friendship" discusses and who the speakers are.
8. Describe the length and history of "The Dream of Scipio."
9. Describe what the orator must do when giving a speech.
10. What happens as the dream opens, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)