|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are great orators hard to find, according to Cicero in "On the Orator"?
(a) Few have the mastery of the many distinct arts.
(b) Stage fright.
(c) Many speak well, but lack information.
(d) Many have information on many arts, but speak poorly.
2. Who does Scipio greet in his dream?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His friend, Kind Basinissa.
(c) His dad.
(d) No one.
3. What is Cicero known as, according to "On the Orator"?
(a) A sufficient orator.
(b) A great orator of history.
(c) A good oratory teacher.
(d) A mediocre orator.
4. What does Laelius reject about the restrictions of friendship?
(a) That friendship has limits.
(b) That restrictions are necessary for friendship.
(c) That the connection between friends is limited by its surroundings.
(d) All three theories suggested.
5. Who reproaches Cicero after he leaves the country, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do great orators possess according to "On the Orator"?
2. Why is friendship more potent that kinship, according to Laelius ?
3. Who does Laelius argue friendship is only possible for?
4. According to Laelius, what is friendship in accord with?
5. When was Laelius born in relation to when Cicero wrote "Laelius: On Friendship"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe when the dialogue of "On the Orator" took place and the importance of the work.
2. What happens as the dream opens, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
3. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do at the end of his dream?
4. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
5. What did the Stoics believe about the death of a friend?
6. What was Laelius's attitude towards friendship?
7. When was "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
8. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," what makes the best friendship?
9. Describe what "The Dream of Scipio" illustrates in relation to philosophy.
10. What is Scipio's connection to God?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)