|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Laelius, how is friendship formed?
(a) Through thought.
(b) Through love.
(c) Through desire.
(d) Through food.
2. What is an earth year in comparison to a cosmic year, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) They are equal in length.
(b) A small part of it.
(c) A big part of ot.
(d) They are unrelated.
3. Why does Cicero return to Rome, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) To have dinner.
(b) For a meeting of the Roman Senate.
(c) For a funeral.
(d) For his daughter.
4. What does reciprocity suggest about friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) Friendship is not based on exchange.
(b) Everything is reciprocal.
(c) The relationship is based on exhange.
(d) Frienship is not a reciprocal relationship.
5. What must the apprentice orator do?
(a) Take voice lessons.
(c) Practice in front of groups.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," when should a person make the decision to keep a friend?
2. What do Rufus and Cotta ask Antonius and Crassus in "On the Orator"?
3. What does the dream of "The Dream of Scipio" illustrate?
4. Whom does Cicero note the art of oratory is possessed by?
5. What does "The Dream of Scipio" suggest about virtuous people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the dream opens, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
2. Where does Scipio go in his dream in Chapter 5?
3. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do at the end of his dream?
4. What did the Stoics believe about the death of a friend?
5. What is Scipio's connection to God?
6. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," what makes the best friendship?
7. What did Antonius believe is a requirement of a great orator?
8. Describe the length and history of "The Dream of Scipio."
9. Describe when the dialogue of "On the Orator" took place and the importance of the work.
10. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)