|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Scipio supposed to reflect in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(b) The soul of the heavens.
(d) Human kind.
2. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," when should a person make the decision to keep a friend?
(a) When one is sound and rational.
(b) After that friend is mean.
(c) After full mental and physical maturity.
(d) After that friend has three strikes.
3. What is an earth year in comparison to a cosmic year, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) They are equal in length.
(b) A big part of ot.
(c) A small part of it.
(d) They are unrelated.
4. Why is friendship more potent that kinship, according to Laelius ?
(a) Friendship is natural.
(b) Kinship is forced.
(c) Kinship is unnatural.
(d) Kinship does not imply a non-physical bond.
5. What does oratory require beside good speech, according to "On the Orator"?
(a) Motivated thought.
(b) General idea of other topics.
(c) A desire to move others through words.
(d) Knowledge of many subjects.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scipio desire in his dream?
2. Who does Laelius argue friendship is only possible for?
3. Which of the following is NOT a quality people should select in a friend, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
4. Whom does Cicero note the art of oratory is possessed by?
5. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to focus on, in his dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," what makes the best friendship?
2. When was "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
3. What was Laelius's attitude towards friendship?
4. Why is Crassus disappointed in Antonius at the end of "On the Orator"?
5. Describe the length and history of "The Dream of Scipio."
6. Describe the willingness a friend should have, according to "Laelius: On Friendship."
7. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
8. What is the difference between kinship and friendship?
9. What do great orators possess, according to "On the Orator"?
10. What was oratory considered in the ancient world?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)