|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must Scipio reflect, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) The peace of God within him.
(b) His love for God.
(c) His oratory skills in other.
(d) His peaceful mind.
2. Who was Laelius friends with?
(b) Scipio Africa.
(d) Scipio Africanus.
3. What does Cicero argue the art of oratory requires?
(a) Knowing its audience.
(b) Knowing its people.
(c) Speaking well and knowing its subjects.
(d) Being condifdent.
4. When was Cicero's essay "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
(a) After his daughter's death.
(b) After his divorce.
(c) After Caesar's assasination.
(d) Before Caesar's assasination.
5. What must the orator master?
(b) The entire sphere of philosophy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reproaches Cicero after he leaves the country, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
2. What two types of men cannot be friends, according to Laelius?
3. When did Laelius's friend die in relation to when Cicero wrote "Laelius: On Friendship"?
4. Which of the following is NOT a quality people should select in a friend, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
5. What does Africanus argue about God, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the spheres of the planets, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
2. Why is Crassus disappointed in Antonius at the end of "On the Orator"?
3. What is the greatest danger of a friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
4. What do great orators possess, according to "On the Orator"?
5. Compare an earth year to a cosmic year.
6. What is the difference between kinship and friendship?
7. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
8. Describe how "On the Orator" ends.
9. What did Antonius believe is a requirement of a great orator?
10. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)