|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do true friends not enjoy doing, according to Laelius?
(a) Criticizing you.
(b) Spending time with you.
(c) Listening to you.
(d) Talking to you.
2. When was the excerpt of "The Dream of Scipio" rediscovered?
(a) The Renaissance.
(b) The medieval period.
(c) Post revolutionary war.
(d) Prior to Cicero's "On the Good Life."
3. What question does Cicero ask his brother, concerning what great oratory requires?
(a) Does it permit women?
(b) Is it popular in England?
(c) What is required to produce great oratory?
(d) Does it require "wide theoretical knowledge"?
4. What deep question does Laelius struggle with?
(a) What friendship really is.
(b) What his deficiency is.
(c) Whether the need for friendship is a deficiency.
(d) Who his best friend is.
5. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," when should a person make the decision to keep a friend?
(a) After full mental and physical maturity.
(b) When one is sound and rational.
(c) After that friend is mean.
(d) After that friend has three strikes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Scipio reflect, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
2. What does "Laelius: On Friendship" concern itself with?
3. When was Cicero's essay "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
4. What is the name of Cicero's brother he writes to?
5. What does the dialogue concern itself with in "On the Orator"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
2. Compare an earth year to a cosmic year.
3. Describe when the dialogue of "On the Orator" took place and the importance of the work.
4. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
5. Describe the willingness a friend should have, according to "Laelius: On Friendship."
6. What did the Stoics believe about the death of a friend?
7. What happens as the dream opens, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
8. What was Laelius's attitude towards friendship?
9. Describe what the orator must do when giving a speech.
10. Why is Crassus disappointed in Antonius at the end of "On the Orator"?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)