|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Laelius born in relation to when Cicero wrote "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) 150 or 140 years prior.
(b) 3 years after he was born.
(c) 80 years after he was born.
(d) 150 or 140 years later.
2. What is an earth year in comparison to a cosmic year, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) They are equal in length.
(b) A big part of ot.
(c) A small part of it.
(d) They are unrelated.
3. Why are great orators hard to find, according to Cicero in "On the Orator"?
(a) Few have the mastery of the many distinct arts.
(b) Stage fright.
(c) Many have information on many arts, but speak poorly.
(d) Many speak well, but lack information.
4. What does oratory require beside good speech, according to "On the Orator"?
(a) Motivated thought.
(b) A desire to move others through words.
(c) General idea of other topics.
(d) Knowledge of many subjects.
5. Who reveals the structure of the universe to Scipio?
(a) The elder Scipio.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Dream of Scipio," how many spheres is the universe made up of?
2. Why does Cicero return to Rome, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
3. Where must Scipio's soul return, according to his dream?
4. What is "On the Orator" considered to be in comparison to the rest of "On the Good Life"?
5. What do Rufus and Crassus need to become good orators?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
2. What did the Stoics believe about the death of a friend?
3. Describe the length and history of "The Dream of Scipio."
4. Describe the willingness a friend should have, according to "Laelius: On Friendship."
5. Describe what the orator must do when giving a speech.
6. What is the difference between kinship and friendship?
7. What was Laelius's attitude towards friendship?
8. Where does Scipio go in his dream in Chapter 5?
9. What did Antonius believe is a requirement of a great orator?
10. What was oratory considered in the ancient world?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)