|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Cicero, in "On Duties," what does he feel is more effective in inspiring confidence?
2. How many virtues does Cicero argue moral goodness is comprised of?
3. What does the Greek philosophy believe about the good life, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
(a) The good life is a rich life.
(b) The good life is a happy life.
(c) The good life means to have friends.
(d) The good life is expensive.
4. According to Cicero, what will breed resentment in a ruler's subjects?
(d) Unjust behavior.
5. What does Cicero address in his work, "On Duties"?
(b) Political life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of interest did the Romans have towards philosophy, according to Grant?
2. What did Cicero resist being identified with, according to Grant?
3. What must men have to resolve conflict, according to Cicero in "On Duties"?
4. According to Cicero in "On Duties," what do men need?
5. Which medieval thinker admired Cicero, according to Grant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Cicero's attitudes about human rights?
2. Describe what the series of arguments in "On Duties" discusses.
3. What are the intellectual goods that bring happiness, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
4. What is the purpose of the spheres of the planets, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
5. Describe what Cicero said about justice and intelligence, in "On Duties."
6. Describe what "The Dream of Scipio" illustrates in relation to philosophy.
7. Compare an earth year to a cosmic year.
8. How did Cicero define the 'recipe' to obtain a stable regime in "On Duties"?
9. Describe what Cicero insinuated about Caesar, in "On Duties".
10. Describe Cicero's philosophy.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)