|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the contents of the book "On Duties" applicable to?
(a) Present day crisis.
2. What type of governmental system does Cicero prefer?
(a) Where no one is taxed.
(b) Where the ruler gives to his community.
(c) Where the ruler is morally good.
(d) Where men elect their ruler.
3. According to the introduction, what is Cicero NOT?
4. What is the purpose of the book "On Duties"?
(a) To inspire its readers.
(b) So statesmen can come to know their duties.
(c) To challenge its readers.
(d) So people will reassess their lives.
5. According to the introduction, what protestant thinkers was Cicero popular among?
(c) Pope Gregory.
(d) Luther and Melancthon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cicero believe humans cannot find peace without?
2. According to the Stoics, what was the faculty that was unique to humans?
3. According to "On Duties," how do people find theft by the state?
4. When did Cicero's reputation decline, according to the introduction?
5. Which medieval thinker admired Cicero, according to Grant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Epicureans believe happiness was?
2. How do wise rulers win their subjects, according to Cicero?
3. What is the importance of stability in external goods, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
4. What did Cicero's work return to in "On Duties" and why?
5. Tell why Cicero didn't identify with one type of philosophical school.
6. How was Cicero received by the public?
7. What did the Greeks believe made a happy life?
8. What are the intellectual goods that bring happiness, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
9. Describe Cicero's philosophy.
10. How did Cicero popularize many ideas and with whom?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)