Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the introduction, what protestant thinkers was Cicero popular among?
(a) Luther and Melancthon.
(d) Pope Gregory.
2. What did Cicero believe applied to every human, according to Grant?
(a) Ability to forgive.
(b) The golden rule.
(c) The ration to love others.
(d) The natural law.
3. According to "On Duties," how do people find theft by the state?
4. According to Cicero, in "On Duties," what does he feel is more effective in inspiring confidence?
5. According to the introduction, what was Cicero considered to be?
(a) An individualist who believed in human rights.
(b) A philospher.
(c) A radical.
(d) A saint.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "On Duties," how many feelings does Cicero say a good ruler should inspire in his subjects?
2. According to Cicero, what will inspire hatred in a ruler's subjects?
3. What did Cicero believe strongly about the virtues of philosophy?
4. Why is statesmanship destroyed, according to "On Duties"?
5. What type of governmental system does Cicero prefer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Cicero's opinion of Caesar?
2. How did Cicero define the 'recipe' to obtain a stable regime in "On Duties"?
3. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do at the end of his dream?
4. Describe what Cicero said about justice and intelligence, in "On Duties."
5. When was "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
6. What will breed resentment among a ruler's subjects?
7. Tell why Cicero didn't identify with one type of philosophical school.
8. Describe what "Laelius: On Friendship" discusses and who the speakers are.
9. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
10. Describe what sharing does in relation to friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship" .
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)