|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Cicero believe was the most divine thing in humans?
2. According to the introduction, how did the younger Seneca receive Cicero?
(a) He noted him once in one of his essays.
(b) He slammed him.
(c) He praised him, but found his writings shallow.
(d) He read him only to challenge his work.
3. What are external goods merely considered to be by Cicero?
(d) Necessary to happiness.
4. How many miles was the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum" from Cicero's home?
(a) 13 miles.
(b) 15 miles.
(c) 16 miles.
(d) 100 miles.
5. What are neutral things considered to be, according to Cicero?
(a) Necessary to happiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cicero compare Dionysius to?
2. What is essential between two nations, according to Cicero in "On Duties"?
3. According to Cicero, what can one NOT be without being intelligent?
4. What group believed happiness is the enjoyment of pleasure and the avoidance of pain?
5. What are the third and fourth principles concerned with, in "On Duties"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Stoics believe made a happy life and did their belief mean?
2. What was Cicero's opinion of Caesar?
3. How was Cicero received by the public?
4. What is the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum"?
5. How did Cicero contradict the entire first chapter "Discussions at Tusculum"?
6. When did Cicero write most of his works?
7. How did Cicero define the 'recipe' to obtain a stable regime in "On Duties"?
8. Describe what Cicero insinuated about Caesar, in "On Duties".
9. What did Cicero's work return to in "On Duties" and why?
10. Of those listed in the introduction, what were some of the opinions the various author's had of Cicero?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)