|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who favored Cicero?
(a) Greek orators.
(c) Roman orators.
(d) Lactantius and many Christian fathers.
2. How many principles does Cicero list that govern the performances of our obligations?
3. According to Cicero, in "On Duties," which of the following will NOT inspire a good ruler's subjects?
(d) Respect of high office.
4. What did Cicero believe humans cannot find peace without?
(a) Serving mankind.
(b) Fighting for your thoughts.
(c) Thoughts and rations.
(d) Falling in love.
5. How does Cicero perceive philosophy under tyranny rule?
(a) It is complicated.
(b) It is overlooked.
(c) It is a necessity.
(d) It is a luxury.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Cicero, what can one NOT be without being intelligent?
2. What is essential between two nations, according to Cicero in "On Duties"?
3. According to Grant, what did Cicero believe every human had to make them equal?
4. What were the followers of Aristotle called?
5. What must men have to resolve conflict, according to Cicero in "On Duties"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cicero popularize many ideas and with whom?
2. Describe why Cicero worried about the Roman republic.
3. What is the importance of stability in external goods, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
4. What is the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum"?
5. What did the Stoics believe made a happy life and did their belief mean?
6. What type of system of government did Cicero prefer in "On Duties"?
7. When did Cicero write most of his works?
8. What does Discussions at Tusculum discuss?
9. Describe how Cicero perceived philosophy.
10. How did Cicero define the 'recipe' to obtain a stable regime in "On Duties"?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)