|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the introduction, how did Pope Gregory I respond to Cicero's work?
(a) He burned them.
(b) He banned his work for centuries.
(c) He gave him high praise.
(d) He refused to ackowledge his writings.
2. Who was Cicero worried about, according to the introduction?
(a) The Greek republic.
(b) The Roman republic.
(c) His own health.
(d) His mother's health.
3. What is essential between two nations, according to Cicero in "On Duties"?
(d) Equal power.
4. According to the introduction, what type of writing style did Cicero sometimes write in?
5. Who does Cicero compare Dionysius to?
(a) Plato and Plutarch.
(b) Plato and Archimedes.
(c) Dante and Plato.
(d) Petrach and Archimedes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cicero believe humans cannot find peace without?
2. What are the series of arguments about in "On Duties"?
3. What did Cicero believe the Roman republic should behave like?
4. In "On Duties," how many feelings does Cicero say a good ruler should inspire in his subjects?
5. According to Cicero, how does he view tyrannies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Discussions at Tusculum discuss?
2. What was Cicero's opinion of Caesar?
3. Describe how Cicero perceived philosophy.
4. What are 'preferables,' 'unpreferables,' and 'indifferents' according to the Stoics?
5. What style did Cicero write in and why?
6. What did Cicero's work return to in "On Duties" and why?
7. What did the Epicureans believe happiness was?
8. How did Cicero define the 'recipe' to obtain a stable regime in "On Duties"?
9. What will breed resentment among a ruler's subjects?
10. Of those listed in the introduction, what were some of the opinions the various author's had of Cicero?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)