|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are external goods always at risk of, according to Cicero?
(d) "Violent commotions."
2. According to the introduction, what type of writing style did Cicero sometimes write in?
3. According to the Stoics, what was the faculty that was unique to humans?
4. What dictatorships does Cicero oppose in "On Duties"?
5. What did Cicero believe the Roman republic should behave like?
(a) "Elusive and free."
(b) "Strong and indestructive."
(c) "Heroes of old."
(d) "Lucid and demanding."
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "On Duties," how do people find theft by the state?
2. Who did Cicero influence, according to Grant?
3. According to Cicero, how does he view tyrannies?
4. According to the introduction, what protestant thinkers was Cicero popular among?
5. According to Cicero in "On Duties," what do men need?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cicero contradict the entire first chapter "Discussions at Tusculum"?
2. What were Cicero's attitudes about human rights?
3. What three things did Cicero argue moral goodness is comprised of?
4. Describe what Cicero said about justice and intelligence, in "On Duties."
5. Of those listed in the introduction, what were some of the opinions the various author's had of Cicero?
6. Describe what the series of arguments in "On Duties" discusses.
7. What are the intellectual goods that bring happiness, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
8. What did the Epicureans believe happiness was?
9. Describe why Cicero worried about the Roman republic.
10. Describe Cicero's philosophy.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)