|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: On Duties.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group believed happiness is the enjoyment of pleasure and the avoidance of pain?
2. What group was Cicero's classical background popular among?
3. Where is the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum"?
(a) Cicero's apartment.
(b) By a river.
(c) Cicero's country villa.
(d) Cicero's friends house.
4. According to Cicero, in "On Duties," which of the following will NOT inspire a good ruler's subjects?
(d) Respect of high office.
5. What must the ruler maintain, according to Cicero?
(a) Equality before law.
(d) Balance between powers.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Cicero in "On Duties," what do men need?
2. In "On Duties," which book is only reproduced in this particular selection of readings?
3. What or whom does Michael Grant, the author of the introduction, introduce?
4. According to the introduction, how did the younger Seneca receive Cicero?
5. Who does Cicero compare Dionysius to?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)