|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: On Duties.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Cicero believe applied to every human, according to Grant?
(a) Ability to forgive.
(b) The golden rule.
(c) The natural law.
(d) The ration to love others.
2. According to the introduction, how did the younger Seneca receive Cicero?
(a) He read him only to challenge his work.
(b) He noted him once in one of his essays.
(c) He slammed him.
(d) He praised him, but found his writings shallow.
3. Who does Cicero compare Dionysius to?
(a) Plato and Archimedes.
(b) Petrach and Archimedes.
(c) Plato and Plutarch.
(d) Dante and Plato.
4. When did Cicero's reputation decline, according to the introduction?
(a) The 19th century.
(b) It never declined.
(c) The 18th century.
(d) The 17th century.
5. In "On Duties," how many feelings does Cicero say a good ruler should inspire in his subjects?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles was the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum" from Cicero's home?
2. According to the introduction, what did Cicero take refuge in after a divorce, fights with friends, and his daughter's death?
3. What did Cicero believe the result would be if happiness was only achieved by certain goods?
4. What are neutral things considered to be, according to Cicero?
5. What was the result of Cicero's desire to capture others thought in his writing's?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)