|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: On Duties.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what period did Cicero gain great fame?
(a) Just after his death.
(b) The Renaissance.
(c) 200 years after his death.
(d) The Dark Ages.
2. What are external goods merely considered to be by Cicero?
(a) Necessary to happiness.
3. What were the followers of Aristotle called?
(c) Aristotle's followers.
4. Who favored Cicero?
(b) Greek orators.
(c) Roman orators.
(d) Lactantius and many Christian fathers.
5. According to Grant, what did Cicero believe every human had to make them equal?
(a) A spark of divinity.
(b) A common bond.
(d) A common ancestry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did an ancient ethical view believe was necessary for happiness?
2. In "On Duties," which book is only reproduced in this particular selection of readings?
3. According to Cicero, in "On Duties," which of the following will NOT inspire a good ruler's subjects?
4. What are external goods always at risk of, according to Cicero?
5. Which of the following are not needed to obtain moral goodness, according to Cicero in "On Duties"?
This section contains 189 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)