|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4: On the Orator.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Cicero, what can one NOT be without being intelligent?
2. How does Cicero perceive philosophy under tyranny rule?
(a) It is complicated.
(b) It is overlooked.
(c) It is a necessity.
(d) It is a luxury.
3. In what period did Cicero gain great fame?
(a) 200 years after his death.
(b) Just after his death.
(c) The Dark Ages.
(d) The Renaissance.
4. Who favored Cicero?
(a) Lactantius and many Christian fathers.
(b) Roman orators.
(d) Greek orators.
5. What is the purpose of the book "On Duties"?
(a) So people will reassess their lives.
(b) To challenge its readers.
(c) To inspire its readers.
(d) So statesmen can come to know their duties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did an ancient ethical view believe was necessary for happiness?
2. What group was Cicero's classical background popular among?
3. What are neutral things considered to be, according to Cicero?
4. Who does Cicero compare Dionysius to?
5. What do the younger men ask Crassus to tell them in "On the Orator"?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)