|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1: Discussions at Tusculum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what period did Cicero gain great fame?
(a) The Dark Ages.
(b) Just after his death.
(c) 200 years after his death.
(d) The Renaissance.
2. According to Cicero, what is suggested about losing one's happiness?
(a) That it is separate from us.
(b) That it would be easy to regain.
(c) That it would then be imperfect.
(d) That it would then be valued more.
3. What did Cicero believe the Roman republic should behave like?
(a) "Heroes of old."
(b) "Lucid and demanding."
(c) "Strong and indestructive."
(d) "Elusive and free."
4. According to the Stoics, what was the faculty that was unique to humans?
5. According to the introduction, what did Cicero take refuge in after a divorce, fights with friends, and his daughter's death?
(b) Observing nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What or whom does Michael Grant, the author of the introduction, introduce?
2. What does Cicero question about virtues in "Discussions at Tusculum"?
3. What did Cicero believe was the most divine thing in humans?
4. What happens once virtue is acquired, according to Cicero?
5. What did Cicero resist being identified with, according to Grant?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)