|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In many countries, the negative effects of the Great Depression lasted until the start of what?
2. What is an economic principle that states "Bad money drives out good"?
3. The United Nations Monetary and Financial Conference was commonly known as what?
4. According to the author in Chapter 13, some argue that high temperatures and heavy rainfall yield poor food production and and increase in what, therefore limiting a location's ability to create a thriving economy?
5. In 1900, the average wage was how much per hour according to the author in Chapter 9?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the most recent Japanese and U.S. recessions. When, according to the author, did Japan's economic decline begin? What led to it? What do these recessions have in common? How do they differ? What are the different viewpoints regarding how to pull America from its current recession? What legislation has attempted to boost the economy? Has it been effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the author's Introduction to the book. What role does Wheelan propose economics and finance has in everyday life? What, according to the author, led to the problems with Lehman Brothers? What examples does the author use for politicians using false information?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, analyze and discuss the healthcare and insurance industries in the United States. What national legislation was recently passed which broached the issues of healthcare? How effective was this legislation? How do these industries represent inequality in regard to information?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)