|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 13, when it comes to gaining economic power, it's best to avoid what, which depletes resources and limits education?
2. The author writes that trade helps the economy by doing what, in Chapter 12?
3. In the year 2000, a pair of stockings on average would cost how much, according to the author in Chapter 9?
4. Of the top 25 polluted cities in the world, how many are in China according to the author?
5. Where did Charles Wheelan earn a PhD in public policy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's example from Chapter 2 involving Yemen and the black rhinoceros. What is the value of the black rhino's horns and why are these horns so highly sought after? How does he describe the role of ecotourism as an environmental and economical solution? When did ecotourism first develop?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the Hope Scholarship program and the Clinton Administration. When were Hope Scholarships introduced and when did they dissipate? How are Hope Scholarships used as an example of adverse selection in the book? What are other examples where adverse selection can be seen in recent history?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss perverse incentives in economics. What example is used from Mexico City in Chapter 2? When did this governmental action take place and what results came of the actions? How was the pollution of Mexico City affected by legislation?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)