|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In many countries, the negative effects of the Great Depression lasted until the start of what?
2. What is an economic principle that states "Bad money drives out good"?
3. The United Nations Monetary and Financial Conference was commonly known as what?
4. According to the author in Chapter 13, some argue that high temperatures and heavy rainfall yield poor food production and and increase in what, therefore limiting a location's ability to create a thriving economy?
5. In 1900, the average wage was how much per hour according to the author in Chapter 9?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the author's Introduction to the book. What role does Wheelan propose economics and finance has in everyday life? What, according to the author, led to the problems with Lehman Brothers? What examples does the author use for politicians using false information?
Essay Topic 2
Define and analyze public policy, lobbyists, and subsidies. How has public policy changed in the past 20 years? How do subsidies affect the economy as a whole? What are the drawbacks to public policy and small groups, according to the author?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, analyze and discuss the public goods offered by the government in the U.S. What percentage of our nation's budget is dedicated to police and fire enforcement, roads, schools, etc.? What is the government's role in economic infrastructure, regulation, and finance?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)