|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charles Wheelan was an unsuccessful Democratic candidate in the special election for Illinois's 5th congressional district, the seat vacated by whom?
2. The Chinese GDP has grown substantially over the past decade, yet its success is correlated to what, according to the author in Chapter 9?
3. Americans today are how many times as rich as an American in the 1940s according to the author in Chapter 9?
4. Nonperforming loans and bad investments caused the banks to suffer in Iceland, and by the fall of 2008, how many major banks in the country were defunct according to the author in Chapter 11?
5. What is the economic policy of restraining trade between states through methods such as tariffs on imported goods, restrictive quotas, and a variety of other government regulations designed to allow "fair competition" between imports and goods and services produced domestically?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the author's concepts of productivity, education, and standard of living in Chapter 6. How does productivity relate to human capital? How does education relate to human capital and standard of living? How has education changed in the past 20 years?
Essay Topic 2
Describe, analyze and discuss the public goods offered by the government in the U.S. What percentage of our nation's budget is dedicated to police and fire enforcement, roads, schools, etc.? What is the government's role in economic infrastructure, regulation, and finance?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's example from Chapter 2 involving Yemen and the black rhinoceros. What is the value of the black rhino's horns and why are these horns so highly sought after? How does he describe the role of ecotourism as an environmental and economical solution? When did ecotourism first develop?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)