|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chinese GDP has grown substantially over the past decade, yet its success is correlated to what, according to the author in Chapter 9?
2. According to the author in Chapter 11, the problem with this gold standard was the central bank could do what?
3. In order to get a true understanding of an economy, there are nine factors one should consider along with the GDP according to the author in Chapter 9. What is the third?
4. When did the California Gold Rush begin?
5. What is a Latin prepositional phrase meaning "by heads"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the benefits of the HDI versus the GDP according to the author in Chapter 9?
2. How do poor countries benefit by outsourcing and global trade, as described by the author in Chapter 12?
3. What can be seen about the American economy by looking at the GDP, as illustrated in Chapter 9?
4. Discuss the growth rate of globalizing countries as discussed in Chapter 12. How did the globalizing countries benefit?
5. How does the author describe public policy in Chapter 8? What problems do politicians face in this area?
6. How does the author address the issues of outsourcing in Chapter 12?
7. What is the cycle of recession and recovery called? How is GDP defined in Chapter 9?
8. How does the author illustrate time and price value in America in Chapter 9?
9. Discuss the relationship between wealth and happiness. How is this illustrated in Chapter 9?
10. In the example given in Chapter 11 of Argentina borrowing the reputation of the U.S., what was the outcome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Douglas Ivester, the Coca-Cola Company, and the toppling of the Berlin Wall. When did the Berlin Wall come down and what did this mean in terms of the U.S.S.R.? What is brand recognition? In what ways does the author laud Ivester's tactic for marketing?
Essay Topic 2
Define, analyze and discuss the gross domestic product of the U.S. over the past century. When have the greatest changes taken place? What does this tell us about the economy during those times? How has technology affected the GDP in America?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the biography and career of Charles Wheelan. What history and expertise does Wheelan have in the field of economics? What publications has Wheelan written for? How many books has he published? What criticism and/or awards did he earn for "Naked Economics: Undressing the Dismal Science"?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)