|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Schwartz, one in declining health must accept that they will never again be physically ______.
2. According to Schwartz, what is the effect of negative feelings?
3. In Chapter 4, how does Schwartz describe fantasy as a coping device?
4. According to Schwartz, what is the first step in developing peace?
5. Schwartz discusses the importance of not ____________the past.
Short Essay Questions
1. Throughout Chapter 1, Schwartz talks about the importance of asking for help. Describe his reasoning behind the need for asking for help.
2. In Chapter 1, Schwartz's disease and its signs and symptoms are described. Explain his diagnosis and what is occurring in his body.
3. In Chapter 5, Morrie discusses a relationship that he had with a colleague. Explain this relationship and the outcome.
4. In Chapter 2, Schwartz discusses the concept of frustration. Explain the importance of frustration as it relates to the way one handles a disease.
5. In Chapter 4, Morrie describes that acknowledging negative feelings is important. Explain what Morrie means in relation to family members and these negative feelings.
6. In Chapter 2, how does Schwartz explain the importance of honesty?
7. In Chapter 5, Morrie discusses the concept of living one's past positively. Explain how one is able to live their past positively, according to Morrie.
8. The emotional patterns of illness are explained by Schwartz in Chapter 2. Explain the significance of these patterns.
9. In Chapter 5, Morrie discusses the past. Explain why Morrie places such a major emphasize on the past, as it relates to one experiencing declining health.
10. Explain the importance of dancing in the life of Schwartz, as explained in Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Morrie feels about death. What makes his beliefs about death so different from common opinion? Morrie states that the best way to live well is to be prepared to die. Explain what Morrie means by this statement. Use information from the text for support.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 11, Schwartz discusses the process of considering death. Describe Schwartz's attitude about death. Finally, explain what Schwartz believes is going to happen to him after he dies.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 5, the subject of reviewing and learning from the past is presented. Morrie explains that one should be able to reminisce about the past, but one must struggle not to live in the past. Explain in detail how Morrie describes the method of living an intricate balance between simply reminiscing and completely living in the past.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)