|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Julian learns that Constantius dies when a messenger addresses his as:
(c) Holy Father.
2. Julian believes that Constantius sets him up to fail in Gaul because:
(a) Constantius doesn't think Gaul is worth fighting for.
(b) Constantius makes a secret treaty with the Germans.
(c) Constantius provides little in the way of military advice or support.
(d) Constantius believes Julian is having an affair with Eusebia.
3. In planning his battle strategy, Julian often depends on:
(a) The element of surprise.
(b) The advice of his generals.
(c) Guerilla tactics.
(d) Signs, omens and dreams.
4. Why is Eusebia interested in Julian's children?
(a) They become more popular than her children.
(b) They are potential heirs to the throne.
(c) She believes Julian is not the real father.
(d) They grow up to become Hellenists.
5. Julian's public observance of Epiphany is notable because:
(a) He is very private about religious observances.
(b) He is in mourning over the death of Helena.
(c) His dislike of Christian holidays is well known.
(d) He is in Athens at the time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the two brothers find favor with Constantius?
2. Libanius and Priscus correspond about all of the following topics except:
3. Gallus' wife, Constantia, eventually dies from:
4. Hilarius is:
5. Which of these phrases does not describe Julian's relationship with his brother, Gallus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Julian states that his 47 days in Athens are the happiest days of his life. Why is Julian happy during his stay in Athens?
2. Describe Julian's relationship with his father. How does he know his father loves him?
3. Why is it appropriate that Libanius and Priscus discuss things like their health and families as well as their memories of Julian and opinions about the current rulers of the land in the first chapter of this book?
4. Why is Priscus reluctant to be involved with the writing/publishing of the Julian manuscript?
5. Julian marries Helena in 355. What is their relationship like? Why do you think the relationship is as it is?
6. Julian meets Macrina and her uncle, Prohaeresius, while he is in Athens. What role do these two individuals play in Julian's life?
7. Who is Sosipatra and what effect does she have on Julian's life?
8. What happens to Julian when he returns to Rome? What do you think drives Constantius to do what he does to Julian?
9. Julian insists that his brother is led astray by Constantia. Do you think this is true? What evidence can you cite to support your answer?
10. Why does Libanius seek to publish a manuscript about Julian 20 years after his death?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)