|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Julian is told of a plot to kill him involving:
(a) His deaf-mute servant.
(b) Someone close to him.
(c) The surviving citizens of Maiozamalcha.
2. Julian describes Christianity as:
(a) A religion of the people.
(b) A rebirth.
(c) A gospel.
(d) A cult.
3. Just a few miles from the Tigris River, Julian declares a brief respite from the fighting to:
(a) Pray, fast and meditate on his next steps.
(b) Repair the straps of his armor.
(c) Allow his lame horse to rest.
(d) Catch up on his journal so there is an accurate transcription of the events.
4. After reading Julian's journal, Priscus learns that Julian:
(a) Considers suicide as a way of ending his dilemma.
(b) Wrestles with religious doubts.
(c) Is angry and frustrated by his general's lack of support.
(d) Never wants to become emperor in the first place.
5. Julian calls Jesus Christ:
(a) The Messiah.
(b) The Galilean.
(c) The Savior.
(d) The Son of Man.
6. Julian and his servant , Callistus, pursue a group of retreating Persian warriors. When they return:
(a) Priscus is already writing his account of the battle.
(b) Maximus is calling for surrender.
(c) Julian is wounded.
(d) Julian and Callistus are both wounded.
7. In Section XX, in order to engage the Persians, the Roman troops have to cross:
(a) A deep gorge.
(b) A graveyard.
(c) A mountain.
(d) A river.
8. The people of Antioch blame the famine on:
9. While Julian is in Antioch, he decrees that Christians are not to teach:
(a) Birth control.
(b) The classics.
(c) The gospels.
(d) The Old Testament.
10. Libanius eventually learns that it is ______ who kills Julian.
11. Priscus says that the omens for Julian personally are:
(a) Not encouraging.
12. Following the fall of Maiozamalcha, Julian's soldiers have a lottery to divide up the:
(b) Captured weapons.
(d) Stockpiles of grain.
13. Julian compares the teachings of Jesus to:
(a) The philosophies of Plato and Aristotle.
(b) The poetry of Homer.
(c) The sculptures of Phidias.
(d) The dramas of Sophacles and Euripedes.
14. Maximus is put to death for:
(a) Practicing magic.
(b) Being a spy.
(c) Being a Christian.
(d) Cowardice in battle.
15. When the temple to Apollo is burned, Julian blames:
(a) Traitorous soldiers.
(b) Supporters of Constantius.
(c) The Christians.
(d) The Germans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Faustina gives birth to:
2. When Libanius is refused permission to publish the Julian manuscript, his reaction is:
3. Constantius's will names this person as his successor.
4. Several factors exacerbate the food shortages caused by the famine. Among the factors:
5. Julian spends his last moments before dying with:
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)