|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Libanius and Priscus correspond about all of the following topics except:
(a) Their children.
(b) The cost of copying a manuscript.
(c) Their health.
(d) Other people's children.
2. While the people of Gaul recover from the war between the Roman Empire and the Germans, Julian:
(a) Attempts to keep the people's taxes low.
(b) Enjoys the company of many beautiful women in Paris.
(c) Allows his men to plunder the cities and rich farmlands.
(d) Tries to convert the populace to Hellenism.
3. Through his military exploits, Julian's hopes to gain:
(a) Approval from his father.
(b) Access to Britain.
(c) Power and adulation from the people.
(d) Peace with the Germans.
4. During Julian's time in Gaul, Constantius is concerned about Julian because:
(a) Julian is a potential threat to Constantius' power.
(b) Julian is prone to seizures.
(c) Julian is attracted to men with beards and may be gay.
(d) Julian's Christian faith is weak.
5. Oribasius of Pergamom is:
(a) Constantius' scribe.
(b) Constantius' psychic.
(c) Constantius' eunuch.
(d) Constantius' physician.
6. The person Julian calls "the Galilean" is:
(a) Mardonius, Julian's tutor.
(c) Oribasius, Julian's close friend.
(d) Jesus Christ.
7. Julian put his utmost trust in:
(a) The grace of God.
(b) His military training and discipline.
(c) The sun god.
(d) His family connections.
8. Constantius dies suddenly before Julian can:
(a) Hold him accountable for the brutalities of his regime.
(b) Dispatch his personal physician to cure him.
(c) Mount an attack against him.
(d) Arrest him.
9. At his coronation, Julian takes action that is strictly forbidden: He:
(a) Touches the emperor.
(b) Embraces the emperor's wife.
(c) Kisses his wife.
(d) Salutes the legions.
10. After a disastrous famine, people blame:
11. Julian describes the people of Gaul as all of these except:
(a) Ready for battle.
(b) Well groomed.
(d) Neatly dressed.
12. When Constantius visits Julian and Gallus, he brings along:
(a) A group of high priests and religious leaders.
(b) His lawyers and accountants.
(c) His bodyguards and personal militia.
(d) A retinue of officials, clerks and servants.
13. Which of the two brothers find favor with Constantius?
(c) Both boys.
(d) Neither of the two boys.
14. While in Gaul, during the actual fighting against the German invaders, Julian:
(a) Relies on signs and omens to determine the outcome.
(b) Makes strategic decisions based on intelligence.
(c) Joins his men at the front and demonstrates his courage.
(d) Rallies the local population to join his cause.
15. After Gallus' death, Constantius sends Julian to:
Short Answer Questions
1. Julian's relationship with his half brother, Gallus, is best described as:
2. Gallus advises Julian to be careful about:
3. Julian always has doubts about:
4. As a child of Mithra, Julian believes in:
5. Julian desires to use his authority as Augustus to influence the Romans to restore:
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)