|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these phrases does not describe Julian's relationship with his brother, Gallus?
(a) Julian is intimidated by Gallus.
(b) Julian is amused by Gallus.
(c) Julian is jealous of Gallus.
(d) Julian is infuriated by Gallus.
2. Julian believes that Constantius sets him up to fail in Gaul because:
(a) Constantius makes a secret treaty with the Germans.
(b) Constantius believes Julian is having an affair with Eusebia.
(c) Constantius doesn't think Gaul is worth fighting for.
(d) Constantius provides little in the way of military advice or support.
3. Julian believes that his fate is being foretold when he dreams about:
4. While he is in Gaul, Julian receives word that his wife, Helena, gives birth to:
(a) A beautiful daughter.
(c) A child who dies at birth.
(d) A healthy son.
5. Constantius' writes instructions to Julian, which includes all of the following except:
(a) Battle strategies.
(b) Etiquette tips.
(c) Instructions for holding dinner parties.
6. Julian's feelings about his two children:
(a) Are influenced by his love for Macrina.
(b) Seem to resemble the way his father feels about him.
(c) Are typical of Roman men of that era.
(d) Are influenced by his bad relationship with Helena.
7. Julian often bases his decisions on:
(a) Tea leaf readings.
(b) The advice of psychics.
(c) His wife's recommendations.
(d) Signs and omens.
8. In planning his battle strategy, Julian often depends on:
(a) Signs, omens and dreams.
(b) The advice of his generals.
(c) Guerilla tactics.
(d) The element of surprise.
9. Constantius seems unsure about how to treat Julian, and the first thing he does is:
(a) Place him under house arrest.
(b) Order him to perform community service.
(c) Forbid him from visiting Eusebia.
(d) Order him to swear an oath of allegiance to Constantius.
10. As a child of Mithra, Julian believes in:
(a) The Hellenistic gods.
(b) The devil.
(c) The Way of Tao.
11. Libanius and Priscus correspond about all of the following topics except:
(a) Other people's children.
(b) Their children.
(c) The cost of copying a manuscript.
(d) Their health.
12. Helena is buried:
(a) In France.
(b) In Athens.
(c) In Persia.
(d) In Rome.
13. Once Julian becomes Caesar, he demonstrates all these character qualities except:
14. What is Constantius' relationship to the brothers, Julian and Gallus?
(a) He is their godfather.
(b) He is their uncle.
(c) He is their step-father.
(d) He is their cousin.
15. This person dies when Julian is 11.
(a) Julian's guardian, the Bishop.
(b) Julian's mother.
(c) Julian's father.
(d) Julian's tutor, Mardonius.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gallus do to Hilarius?
2. Julian spends 47 days in Athens:
3. After he becomes emperor, Julian again faces the threat of invasion along his borders. This time, the threat is from:
4. While Julian is being initiated into the mysteries, hooded men hurl insults at him, calling him all of these things except:
5. Julian's first winter in Gaul is spent:
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)