|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gallus marries Constantius' sister, named ____.
2. Julian desires to use his authority as Augustus to influence the Romans to restore:
(a) The observance of all Christian holidays.
(b) The chapel to St. Mammas that he builds with his brother.
(c) The Hellenistic gods to a place of honor.
(d) The roads and bridges that he builds through Gaul.
3. Constantius dies of:
(a) A fever.
(c) A fall from a parapet.
(d) A heart attack.
4. Julian's relationship with his half brother, Gallus, is best described as:
5. Julian describes all these aspects of the mysteries of Hellenism, except:
(a) Worshiping at the shrine of Aphrodite.
(b) Ritual sacrifice of a pig.
(c) Bathing a pig in the sea.
(d) Crossing a bridge on foot.
6. After meeting Macrina in Athens, Priscus describes her as:
7. When Julian talks about the future with Helena in section IX, she urges him to:
(a) Return to Gaul to fight the Germans.
(b) Return to Athens to resume his studies.
(c) Make love to her.
(d) Become Augustus.
8. After a disastrous famine, people blame:
9. What happens to Julian and Helena's second child?
(a) Helena miscarries and loses the child.
(b) He is born with a club foot and given to the midwife.
(c) Libanius takes him to safety in Antioch.
(d) He is adopted by Constantius.
10. After he becomes emperor, Julian again faces the threat of invasion along his borders. This time, the threat is from:
(a) German invaders.
(b) Macedonian rebels.
(c) Pirates from North Africa.
(d) Portuguese traders.
11. When the crowd demands that Julian become Augustus:
(a) He joyfully accepts.
(b) He consults the Oracle at Delphi.
(c) He takes Helena's advice and goes to Athens.
(d) He agrees because he has no other choice.
12. Julian's relationship with his wife, Helena, is best described as:
13. After he becomes Augustus, Julian fills his time with all of these activities except:
(a) Studying astronomy.
(b) Writing a journal.
(c) Intellectual conversation.
(d) Military maneuvers.
14. In his quest for power and authority, Julian continues in section XI to:
(a) Consult wise men and prophets for signs of the future.
(b) Pray to God for guidance.
(c) Look for ways to undermine Constantius.
(d) Take spa treatments for his strength and health.
15. Libanius plans to title his publication about Julian:
(a) "The Truth About the Emperor Julian."
(b) "The Adventures of th Emperor Julian."
(c) "The Emperor Julian: A True Story."
(d) "On Avenging the Emperor Julian."
Short Answer Questions
1. Julian's first winter in Gaul is spent:
2. While the people of Gaul recover from the war between the Roman Empire and the Germans, Julian:
3. How does Julian react to Gallus' treatment of Hilarius?
4. After Gallus' death, Constantius sends Julian to:
5. During his time in Athens, Julian is able to go to the baths alone one morning because:
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)