Part 1, Scene 1
• The setting shows that the angels in heaven are having a fish fry.
• Children are in Sunday School taught by preacher Deshee who begins with the first five books of the Bible.
• The story appears to be the Negro ideas about the Bible circa 1920.
• The children are somewhat unruly, pestering preacher Deshee with endless questions.
• Deshee explains that God looks like a typical black preacher.
• As Deshee speaks, the children begin to picture the stories based on their limited experience.
Part 1, Scene 2
• The fish fry reflects the religious practices of the black Christian community, placing in Heaven what they enjoy on Earth.
• Background music for the play consists of a choir singing old Christian hymns still heard today in black churches.
• An Archangel passes out Sunday School certificates among the children at the fish fry.
• The Angel Gabriel makes his first appearance--large, elaborately dressed, and with...
This section contains 1,558 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)