|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Myron think is Cole Whiteman, the leader of the Ravens Brigade?
2. On the way to the arena at the beginning of Chapter Four, to what kind of music do Win and Myron listen?
3. What is the B Man wearing on his wrist in Chapter Twenty Three?
4. What videotape does Myron ask Marty to show him during his visit to Marty's office?
5. What is Clip Arnstein's response when Myron asks if he knows Carla, Sally Guerro, or Liz Gorman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Myron's playing in the Dragons game in Chapter Twenty Six and how the crowd reacts to it.
2. What does Esperanza think brought Carla/Sally to New York?
3. How does Myron figure out where to find Cole Whiteman and what alias Cole is currently using?
4. Does Myron's meeting with Marty Felder in Chapter Twenty Eight solve any of the puzzles he's investigating or does it deepen the mysteries surrounding Greg Downing?
5. What does the bat found behind Greg Downing's dryer and the fingerprints found at Carla's apartment indicate about Downing's possible involvement in her murder?
6. What shocking secret is revealed on the tape Cole Whiteman sends Myron?
7. When Myron tells Win that Jessica has asked him to move in with her, why doesn't Win respond immediately?
8. What facts in Chapter Twenty Two make Esperanza think Clip Arnstein knows more about Greg Downing's disappearance and Liz Gorman's murder than he has revealed?
9. What evidence seems to indicate Emily Downing as Carla's killer and how does Emily explain this evidence to Myron in Chapter Thirty One?
10. Who does Cole Whiteman tell Myron he saw coming in and out of Carla's apartment on the day of her murder and what convinces Whiteman that Greg Downing is not Carla's killer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's relationship with Myron and how it changes or grows during the course of the novel. How does Myron's return to professional basketball affect their relationship? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Harlan Cohen uses a number of red herrings or false clues in Fade Away to make it seem as if the mystery is going in a certain direction, then he surprises the reader when the mystery actually goes in a totally different direction. Cite at least three examples of red herrings from the novel and discuss how Cohen uses this technique to increase the suspense and heighten the dramatic tension in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Fade Away. Give three examples of symbolism in the plays in this book and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)