|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Myron find Greg Downing hiding out at the end of the book?
2. What kind of car does Myron drive?
3. Why does Marty say he made the videotape?
4. What does Audrey discover to her dismay about the bullets in the gun she seizes from Myron's car?
5. What blood type is Carla?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Myron's playing in the Dragons game in Chapter Twenty Six and how the crowd reacts to it.
2. What evidence seems to indicate Emily Downing as Carla's killer and how does Emily explain this evidence to Myron in Chapter Thirty One?
3. What shocking secret is revealed on the tape Cole Whiteman sends Myron?
4. Explain how Win determines Clip Arnstein is lying about knowing Sally or Carla.
5. Does Myron's meeting with Marty Felder in Chapter Twenty Eight solve any of the puzzles he's investigating or does it deepen the mysteries surrounding Greg Downing?
6. Why does say she killed Carla?
7. What facts in Chapter Twenty Two make Esperanza think Clip Arnstein knows more about Greg Downing's disappearance and Liz Gorman's murder than he has revealed?
8. Why does Esperanza think the Raven Brigade came to New York and what does she do to investigate her theory?
9. Explain how Esperanza handles Jason Blair's contract negotiations with the Red Sox and what her handling of the situation demonstrates about her character.
10. What happens when the B Man visits Myron at his office in Chapter Twenty-Three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Esperanza, Jessica, and Maggie from Fade Away. Cite at least three examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Fade Away is a mystery/thriller. Discuss what factors in the plot, setting, themes, and characters identify this novel as a mystery thriller. Are there any ways in which the novel is atypical for its genre? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of women in Fade Away. What professions do the women in the novel have? What is the relationship of the female characters in the story to the male characters, i.e. are the female characters subordinate to the men and in traditional female roles or are any of the women in dominant and/or nontraditional roles? Give examples of how the novel's female characters exhibit typical or atypical gender role behavior for the era in which the novel is set. What do you think Harlan Coben is trying to say about women through the novel's female characters? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)