|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jason Blair unhappy with Esperanza in Chapter Twenty Nine?
2. Who calls Myron while Audrey Wilson is with him to overhear in Chapter Thirty Seven?
3. Who does Myron think may have cleaned up the blood in Greg Downing's basement?
4. Why does Myron want to find out if Leon White's wife Fiona was a September centerfold?
5. What blood type is Carla?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Myron's meeting with Marty Felder in Chapter Twenty Eight solve any of the puzzles he's investigating or does it deepen the mysteries surrounding Greg Downing?
2. What does Clip's statement in Chapter Twenty Four about Greg Downing having learned his lesson about violence years before foreshadow?
3. What does Esperanza think brought Carla/Sally to New York?
4. Explain how Win determines Clip Arnstein is lying about knowing Sally or Carla.
5. What does the bat found behind Greg Downing's dryer and the fingerprints found at Carla's apartment indicate about Downing's possible involvement in her murder?
6. When Myron tells Win that Jessica has asked him to move in with her, why doesn't Win respond immediately?
7. Describe Myron's playing in the Dragons game in Chapter Twenty Six and how the crowd reacts to it.
8. Why does say she killed Carla?
9. What in Chapter Twenty Nine lets Myron know that Esperanza is trying to be nice to him after his bad game the previous day?
10. Why does Esperanza think the Raven Brigade came to New York and what does she do to investigate her theory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fade Away contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite three examples of foreshadowing in the plays and how it is used to indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Myron Bolitar and his role as the novel's protagonist. What are his character strengths and flaws? How do these strengths and flaws help and hinder him during the story? In what ways is Myron typical and in what ways is he atypical for a protagonist? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Myron's relationship with Jessica and his relationship with Emily. Is there any evidence in the story that Myron still has romantic feelings for Emily or that Emily still has romantic feelings for him? How does Jessica respond when Myron tells her he'll be seeing Emily again as part of his investigation into Greg's disappearance? Does Jessica seem jealous of his relationship with Emily? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)