|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements describes something Myron and Dimonte do not find in Carla's apartment?
2. How long has Greg Downing been missing in Chapter One when Myron is hired to find him?
3. How is the company for which Maggie Mason works related to Greg's disappearance?
4. At the end of Chapter Twenty, who calls Myron to tell him that the blood in Greg's basement has been cleaned away as if it was never there?
5. Who is the general manager of the New Jersey Dragons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what's ironic about the crowd chanting Myron's name and wanting him in the game the first night he plays for the Dragons.
2. What does Dimonte reveal to Myron at the end of Chapter Twenty and what does his revelation indicate?
3. Describe Myron Bolitar's professional credentials and the kind of work he does.
4. How does Myron think his basketball practice goes in Chapter Fourteen, and how does TC Collins think Myron's practice goes?
5. Explain who the Raven Brigade is and what their tie to Carla's murder is.
6. What discoveries does Win make about Greg Downing in Chapter Twenty?
7. Who is Norman Lowenstein and what relationship does he claim he has with Sally?
8. How does the appearance of Emily's dog, Benny, in Chapter Nine compare to what Benny looked like the last time Myron saw him and what does the dog's altered appearance indicate?
9. What tale does Myron use to find out who used the phone at the Parkview Diner to call Greg Downing shortly before Downing disappeared?
10. Describe Myron's relationship with Jessica.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Fade Away. Give three examples of symbolism in the plays in this book and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
Essay Topic 2
Greg Downing and T.C. Collins are star players for the New Jersey Dragons. Compare and contrast the ways they react to their fame. What are the drawbacks, if any, to their superstar status? What are the perks of their superstar status? Does their celebrity status affect their morality in any way? What do you think the author of the novel is trying to say about the celebrity status of professional athletes and the effects of celebrity on athletes through his depiction of these two characters? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Fade Away takes place in present day New Jersey in the cultural milieu of professional basketball. Discuss how the geographical, chronological, and cultural settings affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if Harlan Coben had set the novel in in a different chronological or cultural setting. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)