|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Myron hits the redial button on Greg's phone in Chapter Three to find out to whom Greg last placed a call, what place does the redial ring?
2. How did the B Man get his nickname?
3. Who does Myron contact at the beginning of Chapter Thirteen about the sequential hundred-dollar bills found in Carla's apartment?
4. What degree black belt does Win have in tae kwon do?
5. Which member of the Dragons basketball team is Greg Downing's roommate on the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the New Jersey Dragons team want word of Greg's disappearance to leak to the press and what story do they use in the media to explain the fact that Greg is missing?
2. Why does Esperanza say she does not go to see Myron play with the Dragons and does Myron seem to agree or disagree with her feelings about his return to basketball?
3. How do the Dragons coaches feel about Myron being signed to the Dragons?
4. When Carla/Sally is found murdered, what things are found at her apartment and what do these things indicate about the dead woman?
5. What information do Myron and Win uncover about Carla at the Swiss Chalet in Chapter Six?
6. Explain the significance of the firm for which Maggie Mason works to Greg Downing's disappearance.
7. Explain Myron's history with Emily.
8. Explain who the Raven Brigade is and what their tie to Carla's murder is.
9. How does Myron think his basketball practice goes in Chapter Fourteen, and how does TC Collins think Myron's practice goes?
10. What does Dimonte reveal to Myron at the end of Chapter Twenty and what does his revelation indicate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of women in Fade Away. What professions do the women in the novel have? What is the relationship of the female characters in the story to the male characters, i.e. are the female characters subordinate to the men and in traditional female roles or are any of the women in dominant and/or nontraditional roles? Give examples of how the novel's female characters exhibit typical or atypical gender role behavior for the era in which the novel is set. What do you think Harlan Coben is trying to say about women through the novel's female characters? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
What are the major themes of this novel? Discuss at least three. Tell what you think the author is trying to say about each theme and how he depicts it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Three separate groups are looking for Greg Downing in this novel: Myron and Win, Dimonte and the police, and B Man and his thugs. Compare and contrast the three groups and their searches. Include the reason each group is searching for Greg, the methods each group uses to find the missing man, and how the groups interact with each other. Which group or groups seem more efficient at uncovering clues and discovering what is going on with Greg? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)