|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name is Carla using at her place of employment instead of Carla?
2. How do Win and Myron enter Greg's house in Chapter Three?
3. What is Carla's real name?
4. Who hires Myron to find Greg Downing?
5. What is unusual about the clothing Win and Myron find in Greg's bedroom in Chapter Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Myron think that Carla and Sally Guerro are the same person?
2. What tale does Myron use to find out who used the phone at the Parkview Diner to call Greg Downing shortly before Downing disappeared?
3. What do Win and Myron discover in Greg Downing's basement and what does their discovery imply?
4. Why doesn't the New Jersey Dragons team want word of Greg's disappearance to leak to the press and what story do they use in the media to explain the fact that Greg is missing?
5. What information do Myron and Win uncover about Carla at the Swiss Chalet in Chapter Six?
6. How does the appearance of Emily's dog, Benny, in Chapter Nine compare to what Benny looked like the last time Myron saw him and what does the dog's altered appearance indicate?
7. What do Win and Myron discover in Greg Downing's bedroom and what does their discovery imply?
8. How does Myron think his basketball practice goes in Chapter Fourteen, and how does TC Collins think Myron's practice goes?
9. What is Myron's history as a professional basketball player and what are the pros and cons of signing him as a player for the Dragons while he is investigating Greg Downing's disappearance?
10. What discoveries does Win make about Greg Downing in Chapter Twenty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the major themes of this novel? Discuss at least three. Tell what you think the author is trying to say about each theme and how he depicts it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Myron Bolitar's relationship with Greg Downing in Fade Away. What is the history of their relationship? Are there any differences in the way Greg sees the relationship and the way Myron sees it? How does the relationship change during the course of the novel? Are there any ways in which Greg and Myron are foil characters for each other? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Three separate groups are looking for Greg Downing in this novel: Myron and Win, Dimonte and the police, and B Man and his thugs. Compare and contrast the three groups and their searches. Include the reason each group is searching for Greg, the methods each group uses to find the missing man, and how the groups interact with each other. Which group or groups seem more efficient at uncovering clues and discovering what is going on with Greg? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)