|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Audrey's response when Myron asks her if she thinks drugs might connect Greg Downing to Carla's murder?
2. In what two languages is the "do not feed the rats" sign written?
3. Who is following Myron in Chapter Seventeen?
4. Which martial art is not one that Win studies?
5. Which Manhattan bar does Myron learn in Chapter Seven that Greg visited shortly before his disappearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tale does Myron use to find out who used the phone at the Parkview Diner to call Greg Downing shortly before Downing disappeared?
2. How do the Dragons coaches feel about Myron being signed to the Dragons?
3. Why doesn't the New Jersey Dragons team want word of Greg's disappearance to leak to the press and what story do they use in the media to explain the fact that Greg is missing?
4. Explain what's ironic about the crowd chanting Myron's name and wanting him in the game the first night he plays for the Dragons.
5. Who is Norman Lowenstein and what relationship does he claim he has with Sally?
6. Describe Myron's relationship with Jessica.
7. What does TC Collins think about fame and why does he act and dress so outrageously, i.e. with multiple tattoos and piercings?
8. What do Win and Myron discover in Greg Downing's basement and what does their discovery imply?
9. Why does Win want Myron to watch the videotape of his knee injury?
10. What is Win's relationship with Myron?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harlan Cohen uses a number of red herrings or false clues in Fade Away to make it seem as if the mystery is going in a certain direction, then he surprises the reader when the mystery actually goes in a totally different direction. Cite at least three examples of red herrings from the novel and discuss how Cohen uses this technique to increase the suspense and heighten the dramatic tension in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Fade Away contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite three examples of foreshadowing in the plays and how it is used to indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 3
What are the major themes of this novel? Discuss at least three. Tell what you think the author is trying to say about each theme and how he depicts it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)