|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Manhattan bar does Myron learn in Chapter Seven that Greg visited shortly before his disappearance?
2. What kind of boots does Dimonte wear?
3. Why doesn't Donny Walsh, the Dragons' head coach, like Myron being signed as a player?
4. Who offers to take Myron to Carla's apartment?
5. Which of the following statements does not describe the man in the white van who is wearing a different colored suit than the others and who seems to be in charge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Myron feel he owes something to Greg Downing?
2. Who is Norman Lowenstein and what relationship does he claim he has with Sally?
3. What tale does Myron use to find out who used the phone at the Parkview Diner to call Greg Downing shortly before Downing disappeared?
4. What is Win's relationship with Myron?
5. When Carla/Sally is found murdered, what things are found at her apartment and what do these things indicate about the dead woman?
6. What does Dimonte reveal to Myron at the end of Chapter Twenty and what does his revelation indicate?
7. Describe Myron Bolitar's professional credentials and the kind of work he does.
8. What do Win and Myron discover in Greg Downing's bedroom and what does their discovery imply?
9. Explain who the Raven Brigade is and what their tie to Carla's murder is.
10. What behaviors of Greg Downing's described by Clip Arnstein in Chapter One make Downing an unconventional professional basketball player?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Fade Away. Give three examples of symbolism in the plays in this book and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
Essay Topic 2
Greg Downing and T.C. Collins are star players for the New Jersey Dragons. Compare and contrast the ways they react to their fame. What are the drawbacks, if any, to their superstar status? What are the perks of their superstar status? Does their celebrity status affect their morality in any way? What do you think the author of the novel is trying to say about the celebrity status of professional athletes and the effects of celebrity on athletes through his depiction of these two characters? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Three separate groups are looking for Greg Downing in this novel: Myron and Win, Dimonte and the police, and B Man and his thugs. Compare and contrast the three groups and their searches. Include the reason each group is searching for Greg, the methods each group uses to find the missing man, and how the groups interact with each other. Which group or groups seem more efficient at uncovering clues and discovering what is going on with Greg? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)