|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the owner of the New Jersey Dragons?
2. What is unusual about the clothing Win and Myron find in Greg's bedroom in Chapter Three?
3. Why is Emily angry that Greg has signed an endorsement deal?
4. What degree black belt does Myron have in tae kwon do?
5. Which old college girlfriend does Myron encounter again when he begins investigating Greg Downing's disappearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Myron think his basketball practice goes in Chapter Fourteen, and how does TC Collins think Myron's practice goes?
2. Who is Norman Lowenstein and what relationship does he claim he has with Sally?
3. What does Esperanza tell Myron in Chapter Nine about the blood found on Greg's wall and what does this fact indicate about the source of the blood?
4. What do Win and Myron discover in Greg Downing's bedroom and what does their discovery imply?
5. When Carla/Sally is found murdered, what things are found at her apartment and what do these things indicate about the dead woman?
6. Describe Myron's encounter with the B Man in Chapter Seventeen.
7. Why is Emily upset when she learns of Greg's endorsement deal with Forte Sneakers?
8. What is Win's relationship with Myron?
9. What is Myron's history as a professional basketball player and what are the pros and cons of signing him as a player for the Dragons while he is investigating Greg Downing's disappearance?
10. What discoveries does Win make about Greg Downing in Chapter Twenty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Myron Bolitar's relationship with Greg Downing in Fade Away. What is the history of their relationship? Are there any differences in the way Greg sees the relationship and the way Myron sees it? How does the relationship change during the course of the novel? Are there any ways in which Greg and Myron are foil characters for each other? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Fade Away is a mystery/thriller. Discuss what factors in the plot, setting, themes, and characters identify this novel as a mystery thriller. Are there any ways in which the novel is atypical for its genre? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of women in Fade Away. What professions do the women in the novel have? What is the relationship of the female characters in the story to the male characters, i.e. are the female characters subordinate to the men and in traditional female roles or are any of the women in dominant and/or nontraditional roles? Give examples of how the novel's female characters exhibit typical or atypical gender role behavior for the era in which the novel is set. What do you think Harlan Coben is trying to say about women through the novel's female characters? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)