|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which author's novel described too many fishermen on the banks working the same grounds.
2. In 1995, a system was initiated to restrict the total cod catch to _____ percent of the estimated stock.
3. In Peru, Clarence Birdseye found a way to covert crushed remains of sugar cane into _____.
(a) Dog food.
4. What were the French fishing fleets called?
(c) Bateaux Royales.
(d) Poisson de la Mer.
5. Which international organization met in 1973 to expand ocean sovereignty?
(a) International Fisheries Council.
(b) The Northern Seas Alliance.
(d) The UN Seabed Committee.
Short Answer Questions
1. One-third of the Iceland town of Heimaey was destroyed by _____ in 1973?
2. The 19th-century debate over longlining seemed to have been fueled by _____.
3. Clarence Birdseye was passing the winter in _____ when he discovered how to freeze food.
4. What is considered a bread substitute in Iceland?
5. In the 1780's, British medicine decided cod-liver oil was a remedy for _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Icelanders rejoice in the addition of the 12-mile limit zone around their country?
2. What effect did the term "scrod" have on consumer's perspective on fish?
3. What served as buoys and what were they used for in early cod fishing?
4. What skills did fishermen learn in the wake of the imposition of 200-mile zones?
5. Why did it take over seventy years for Europeans to convert their cod fishing fleets to engine power?
6. What is pair fishing?
7. How did the Icelandic government finally curb the capacity of is own fishing fleet?
8. Why was the British Royal Navy reluctant to send combat ships to deal with Iceland during the second Cod War?
9. Describe how gill nets are used.
10. Why do fishermen have comparatively high accident rates?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)