|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the book, fishing is hardest on what part of the body?
(a) The eyes.
(b) The legs.
(c) The back.
(d) The fingers.
2. What were the French fishing fleets called?
(a) Bateaux Royales.
(c) Poisson de la Mer.
3. Which British foreign secretary commented on the third Cod War saying that both sides have shown valor, but there was no need to show virility?
(a) Robin Cook.
(b) James Callaghan.
(c) David Miliband.
(d) Anthony Crosland.
4. Who was the longtime director of Iceland's Marine Research Institute and one of the negotiators during the third Cod War?
(a) Leif Marksson.
(b) Thor Thorsson.
(c) Erik Grindavík.
(d) Jon Jonsson.
5. In 1944, Iceland negotiated full independence from _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were leaders of the trawler industry and chip shop guilds called?
2. In the quota system, groundfish are killed being hauled up do to _____.
3. What is a lost net that can continue to fish for as long as five years called?
4. Which author's novel described too many fishermen on the banks working the same grounds.
5. In 1995, a system was initiated to restrict the total cod catch to _____ percent of the estimated stock.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the British Royal Navy reluctant to send combat ships to deal with Iceland during the second Cod War?
2. How did the invention of filleting machinery change New England's cod fishing industry?
3. What did Halldór Laxness win the Nobel Prize for and why?
4. What happened to many British and German trawlers during the second Cod War?
5. Why did President Harry Truman impose protected zones for American fisheries?
6. What were the Grandmother messages of 1928?
7. How is hákarl flesh processed and why?
8. Describe how gill nets are used.
9. What is pair fishing?
10. How did the British respond to being asked to change their preference for fried cod as the cod catch continued to decline?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)