|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Iceland Coast Guard's secret weapon?
(a) A radio jammer.
(b) A trawl wire cutter.
(c) A fire hose.
(d) A linguistics expert.
2. Which London newspaper reported that the Icelanders were very difficult to deal with in the third Cod War?
(a) The Guardian.
(b) The Financial Times.
(c) The Daily Mirror.
(d) The Times.
3. What are most houses in Iceland made out of now?
(a) Metal or concrete.
(c) Mud or brick.
4. Clarence Birdseye was passing the winter in _____ when he discovered how to freeze food.
5. Who was the longtime director of Iceland's Marine Research Institute and one of the negotiators during the third Cod War?
(a) Thor Thorsson.
(b) Erik Grindavík.
(c) Leif Marksson.
(d) Jon Jonsson.
Short Answer Questions
1. A ship with onboard fish processing is called a _____.
2. What are twenty-foot, deckless skiffs called?
3. Watertight ship holds with holes for circulating seawater to keep fish alive were called _____.
4. Which boat was invented on the Pacific to deal with rough seas and haul in bigger catches?
5. Most Icelandic towns have a population under _____ people.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Icelanders rejoice in the addition of the 12-mile limit zone around their country?
2. What skills did fishermen learn in the wake of the imposition of 200-mile zones?
3. How did the invention of filleting machinery change New England's cod fishing industry?
4. How did the British respond to being asked to change their preference for fried cod as the cod catch continued to decline?
5. How did the Icelandic government finally curb the capacity of is own fishing fleet?
6. How did navigation improve in fishing in the 17th century?
7. How were the Icelandic Coast Guard ships during the Cod Wars armed and manned?
8. How is hákarl flesh processed and why?
9. Why was the British Royal Navy reluctant to send combat ships to deal with Iceland during the second Cod War?
10. What effect did the term "scrod" have on consumer's perspective on fish?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)