|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the best shore spaces for drying catch called?
(a) Salt caves.
(b) Fishing rooms.
(d) Line shacks.
2. The eating habits of cod are classified as _____.
3. What is the name of the tropical body of water that once ran around the earth east-west and connected all the oceans?
(a) The Proto-Caribbean Sea.
(b) The Panthalassic Ocean.
(c) The Tethys Sea.
(d) The Chixiclub Sea,
4. What is the name of the long tube of air bladder in a cod that fills and adjusts swimming depth?
(a) The buoy.
(b) The sound.
(c) The balloon.
(d) The floater.
5. What was the French salt tax called?
(b) Sels tax.
(d) Franc sel.
6. If hauled up from freezing water, cod will _____ because of a protein they produce.
(c) Turn to jelly.
7. What is a growth that is produced from the nitrates being stirred up by conflicting currents?
8. What is cod pickled with in barrels?
9. In 1598, with whom were the Catholics at war?
(a) The Lutherans.
(b) The Hanseatics.
(c) The Huguenots.
(d) The Hussars.
10. Jacques Cartier is credited for "discovering" the mouth of which river?
(a) The Mississippi.
(b) The St. Lawrence.
(c) The Pinware River.
(d) The Hudson.
11. Who was the father of Erik the Red?
(a) Cnut the Great.
(b) Leif Erickson.
(c) Brodir of Man
12. John Smith renamed _____ "New England".
(b) New Yorkshire.
(c) Nova Scotia.
(d) North Virginia.
13. The colonial governor of New Amsterdam wrote of six-foot _____ in 1649.
14. Who outlawed the Basque language?
(a) Archduke Ferdinand.
(b) Ricardo Sáenz de Ynestrillas Pérez.
(c) Francisco Franco.
(d) Juan Carlos.
15. What are cod called after the larval stage?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was murdered in the Icelandic fishing station of Grindavík in 1532?
2. Where was John Cabot born?
3. What do humpback whales feed on?
4. Who was sent to Guiana as a death sentence in the 16th century?
5. What is the scientific name for cod?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)