|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the best shore spaces for drying catch called?
(b) Fishing rooms.
(c) Salt caves.
(d) Line shacks.
2. What is the Anglo-Saxon word that means "a place that has salt"?
3. What is stuffed cod stomach called in the Scottish Highlands?
(d) Float porridge.
4. Who was the father of Erik the Red?
(a) Leif Erickson.
(c) Brodir of Man
(d) Cnut the Great.
5. What commodity did Bartholomew Gosnold find in North America?
6. What was the name of the island that Thomas Croft and John Jay searched for in the Atlantic?
(b) Gran Canaria.
7. Where were slaves purchased with cured cod?
(b) New Zealand.
(d) West Africa.
8. Who was sent to Guiana as a death sentence in the 16th century?
(a) John Cabot.
(b) Juan Martinez.
(c) Marco Polo.
(d) Thomas Huxley.
9. What color of the meat of a cod is the result of sluggish muscle tissue?
10. What does the word "Naumkeag" mean?
(a) Farming land.
(b) Running horses.
(c) Mountain people.
(d) Fishing place.
11. The word for fresh cod in French is ____.
12. What is the scientific name for cod?
(a) Oncorhynchus tshawytscha.
(b) Pomoxis nigromaculatus.
(c) Gadus morhua.
(d) Mircopterus salmoides floridanus.
13. "In gadiform fish, evolution is seen in the _____."
14. According to the author, what is the most notable sport the Basques are known for?
(a) Table tennis.
(b) Field hockey.
(d) Jai alai.
15. What was the French salt tax called?
(a) Franc sel.
(d) Sels tax.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who backed Giovanni da Verrazzano on his travels?
2. What were wind-dried whiting wetted with seawater to give them a special taste called?
3. Sterling", according to Kurlansky, means what?
4. What does "Hanse" mean in Middle High German?
5. What is the name of the only tropical cod that remains today?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)