|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I - A Fish Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is stuffed cod stomach called in the Scottish Highlands?
(d) Float porridge.
2. What is the name of the one freshwater cod?
3. Who conjectured that cod was named after a husk of seeds because the female holds so many eggs?
(a) John Cabot.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Henry David Thoreau.
(d) Samuel Johnson.
4. If hauled up from freezing water, cod will _____ because of a protein they produce.
(c) Turn to jelly.
5. Who was murdered in the Icelandic fishing station of Grindavík in 1532?
(a) Erik the Red.
(b) John Cabot.
(c) John Smith.
(d) John the Broad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the throat of the cod called?
2. What did the Pilgrims fail to bring to North America that would aid in their survival?
3. What was the name of the island that Thomas Croft and John Jay searched for in the Atlantic?
4. What was the premier French fishing port in Newfoundland in the early 16th century?
5. Who backed Giovanni da Verrazzano on his travels?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)