Part I - A Fish Tale
• Gadus morhua, or cod, has been an important commercial fish for about six hundred years.
• As early as 1620, cod fishing was the center of international conflict as various nations attempted to monopolize rich fishing grounds.
• Cod's prolific reproductive rates have been seen for hundreds of years as a guarantee that the species would never be negatively impacted by human activity.
• Today, cod is a depleted fishery and rapidly is becoming increasingly scarce.
• Sam Lee, Leonard Stack, Bernard Chafe, and the author board a fishing skiff in Newfoundland.
• The skiff is one of two fishing skiffs participating in Newfoundland's Sentinel Fishery. * The Sentinel Fishery seeks to monitor local cod populations for size and numbers during a ban on cod fishing.
• The men use handline fishing techniques to catch several dozen cod and each fish is measured, tagged, and logged before it is released...
This section contains 1,711 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)