|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. George Martin converted a house in what New England town into a recording studio, to record Sea Train?
(b) Cape Cod.
2. Engelbert Humperdinck's single, "Release Me," prevented which double-A-side Beatles record from reaching number one?
(a) "Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields".
(b) "Penny Lane" and "Paperback Writer".
(c) "Yesterday" and "Strawberry Fields".
(d) "Paperback Writer" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".
3. George Martin describes John Lennon and Paul McCartney as the main talent of the Beatles, and describes George Harrison, Ringo Starr, and himself as what?
(a) Subsidiary talents.
(b) Marginal talents.
(c) Overrated talents.
(d) Overshadowed talents.
4. After how many attempts, as described in Chapter 9, did Capitol Records agree to release Beatles records?
5. Members of what group invented an instrument called a Gizmo?
(a) The Ramones.
(b) Deep Purple.
(c) Winter Consort.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did George Martin leave EMI, even though they ultimately agreed to pay him a commission as he requested?
2. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the first layer in a four-track recording?
3. What password did the Beatles invent, to warn each other about dubious fans approaching?
4. George Martin's new business, AIR, is an acronym for what?
5. How did the recording tape used at Capitol in 1958 differ from the tape used at Abbey Road?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what circumstances did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, die?
2. Why did the creators of the James Bond film, "Live and Let Die", want someone other than songwriter Paul McCartney to sing the title song?
3. What sorts of diversions did the Beatles create, in order to get in and out of their hotel rooms in the U.S.?
4. How does George Martin compare multi-track recording to a four-layer cake, as described in Chapter 8?
5. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
6. How is a compressor used in a recording studio?
7. In what way was the construction of the first AIR studio innovative, as described in Chapter 14?
8. As explained in Chapter 13, how does George Martin respond when asked how to become a successful record producer?
9. In Chapter 11, George Martin expresses his naivety regarding what activities of the Beatles?
10. Describe the early founding of AIR, Associated Independent Recording.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)