|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Beatle sang the title song in the James Bond film scored by George Martin?
(a) John Lennon.
(b) Paul McCartney.
(c) George Harrison.
(d) Ringo Starr.
2. Which Beatles associate died from an accidental overdose in August 1967?
(a) Magic Alex.
(b) Pete Best.
(c) Neil Aspinall.
(d) Brian Epstein.
3. Which group of painters is George Martin's favorite?
(a) The Expressionists.
(b) The Humanists.
(c) The Realists.
(d) The Impressionists.
4. What password did the Beatles invent, to warn each other about dubious fans approaching?
5. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the third layer in a four-track recording?
(a) The lead voice.
(b) Harmonies, such as piano or guitar.
(c) Extra bits, called sweetening.
(d) Rhythm, such as drums and bass.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the recording tape used at Capitol in 1958 differ from the tape used at Abbey Road?
2. As described in Chapter 14, AIR built its first studio where?
3. What did George Martin believe would replace discs played by needles, at the time his book was written?
4. In the 1950s studios had A&R men, meaning what?
5. What did George Martin predict would happen soon after publication of "All You Need Is Ears", regarding holography?
Short Essay Questions
1. For the film, "The Family Way", what sort of tune did George Martin ask Paul McCartney to write, and what strategy did he employ when Paul McCartney was slow to comply?
2. Briefly describe the controversy surrounding John Lennon's comparison of the Beatles and Jesus.
3. What difficulties were presented by John Lennon's request that George Martin fuse together two unique versions of "Strawberry Fields Forever"?
4. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
5. How is a compressor used in a recording studio?
6. How does George Martin compare multi-track recording to a four-layer cake, as described in Chapter 8?
7. What is George Martin's explanation for the song, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", contrary to the popular theory that the song is about LSD?
8. In what way was the construction of the first AIR studio innovative, as described in Chapter 14?
9. Why did the creators of the James Bond film, "Live and Let Die", want someone other than songwriter Paul McCartney to sing the title song?
10. Describe the early founding of AIR, Associated Independent Recording.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)