Final Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Engelbert Humperdinck's single, "Release Me," prevented which double-A-side Beatles record from reaching number one?
(a) "Paperback Writer" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".
(b) "Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields".
(c) "Yesterday" and "Strawberry Fields".
(d) "Penny Lane" and "Paperback Writer".
2. Which Beatles movie was produced with no assistance from George Martin?
(a) "Abbey Road".
(c) "Sergeant Pepper".
(d) "A Hard Day's Night".
3. What was the first difference George Martin noticed at Capitol Studios in America, as compared to Abbey Road, as described in Chapter 8?
(a) Capitol had better compressors.
(b) The monitor level in the Capitol control room was much louder than at Abbey Road.
(c) Capitol had no compressors.
(d) The monitor level in the Capitol control room was much lower than at Abbey Road.
4. In Chapter 10 George Martin describes his disappointment with EMI, due to their unwillingness to pay him a bonus, using what British turn of phrase?
(a) Blow this for a lark.
(b) Sod this for a game of soldiers.
(c) Sod this for a lark.
(d) Let's blow this pop-stand.
5. Why did George Martin leave EMI, even though they ultimately agreed to pay him a commission as he requested?
(a) EMI wanted to tie the commission to a specific profit range.
(b) If he received a commission, he would no longer be allowed to work with established artists, including the Beatles.
(c) The deal was structured in such a sneaky way that, after subtracting overhead, George Martin would actually owe EMI money.
(d) If he received a commission, he would receive no salary.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the second layer in a four-track recording?
2. How does George Martin describe the result, when a recording is overcompressed?
3. Why was George Martin shocked when he viewed "Crooks Anonymous", a film that he scored?
4. What password did the Beatles invent, to warn each other about dubious fans approaching?
5. After completion of AIR's first studio, what sort of studio did George Martin next want to create?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)