|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While orchestrating the film, "The Family Way", what compromise did George Martin reach with John Boulting?
(a) They agreed to use a click track if they could not keep things synchronized manually.
(b) If the recording session at the Boulting's Shepperton studio was lacking, another recording would be made at CTS.
(c) George Martin would score the film only if Cilla Black would sing the title song.
(d) George Martin would score the film if Paul McCartney would write the title song.
2. Regarding orchestration, what does George Martin offer as the secret to good string writing?
(a) Writing for four parts, as if for four human voices.
(b) Writing all parts close to the piano's middle C.
(c) Writing as if for a piano, with parts for left and right hands.
(d) Writing a separate part for each musician.
3. Which Beatles associate died from an accidental overdose in August 1967?
(a) Brian Epstein.
(b) Magic Alex.
(c) Pete Best.
(d) Neil Aspinall.
4. After completion of AIR's first studio, what sort of studio did George Martin next want to create?
(a) A total environment studio.
(b) A traveling immersion studio.
(c) A traveling environment studio.
(d) A total immersion studio.
5. On George Harrison's "Within You Without You", what Indian violin is featured?
(a) The mayuri vina.
(b) The chikara.
(c) The charchari.
(d) The dilruba.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound near the end of "Good Morning" sounded remarkably like the guitar at the beginning of "Sergeant Pepper", allowing for an easy fusion of "Good Morning" and the "Sergeant Pepper Reprise"?
2. What, for George Martin, was the main advantage of recording on two tracks instead of one?
3. What problem was discovered at AIR, while Laurence Olivier was recording "Julius Caesar"?
4. What does George Martin describe as a lifetime ambition in Chapter 12, unfulfilled when the book was written?
5. As described in Chapter 10, the British Post Office prevented the Mastersingers from singing a choral version of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is a compressor used in a recording studio?
2. Briefly describe the controversy surrounding John Lennon's comparison of the Beatles and Jesus.
3. How did Capitol Records come to take on the Beatles' records, even though they resisted at first?
4. What does George Martin define as the golden treadmill?
5. What is George Martin's explanation for the song, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", contrary to the popular theory that the song is about LSD?
6. Why, as described in Chapter 10, did George Martin become increasingly frustrated with EMI?
7. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
8. Under what circumstances did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, die?
9. What, according to George Martin, is the best way to orchestrate for strings?
10. Discuss two innovations predicted by George Martin in Chapter 15 that have since become reality.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)