|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the recording studio, what is the function of the compressor?
(a) Protecting the hearing of musicians and engineers.
(b) Allowing the use of a smaller studio.
(c) Lowering the volume of the loudest sounds and enhancing the quietest sounds.
(d) Providing quiet heating and cooling to the studio.
2. For which movie did George Martin receive his first and only Academy Award nomination?
(c) "Live and Let Die".
(d) "A Hard Day's Night".
3. While recording the twenty-four-bar climax for "A Day in the Life", George Martin told the orchestra to disobey a fundamental rule by doing what?
(a) They were told not to sit in their usual seats, but to mix the different sections of the orchestra.
(b) They were told not to tune their instruments.
(c) They were told not to listen to their neighbors.
(d) He did not tell them to disobey a fundamental rule.
4. What album does George Martin cite, in Chapter 12, as the classic example of what a talented amateur can achieve with multi-track recording?
(a) America's "History".
(b) Winter Consort's "Icarus".
(c) The Beatles' "Sergeant Pepper".
(d) Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells".
5. During the Beatles' first visit to America, according to George Martin in Chapter 9, what did some middle-aged men on Fifth Avenue wear to show they were in tune?
(a) Collarless suits.
(b) Skinny-legged pants.
(c) Beatle t-shirts.
(d) Beatle wigs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Regarding orchestration, what does George Martin offer as the secret to good string writing?
2. George Martin describes John Lennon and Paul McCartney as the main talent of the Beatles, and describes George Harrison, Ringo Starr, and himself as what?
3. At the British Embassy in 1964, what did one Beatle fan do to Ringo Starr?
4. How many years after George Martin returned to England from America, did he finally receive his requested studio upgrades from EMI?
5. George Martin wrote the musical score for which Michael Caine film, following the success of "Yellow Submarine"?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)