|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, for George Martin, was the main advantage of recording on two tracks instead of one?
(a) If a mistake were made on one track, the other track would compensate.
(b) The rhythms and vocals could be recorded separately.
(c) Two vocalists could sing without hearing each other.
(d) Two songs could be recorded on one section of tape.
2. In Chapter 10, which Beatle does George Martin describe as an aural Salvador Dali?
(a) Ringo Starr.
(b) John Lennon.
(c) Paul McCartney.
(d) George Harrison.
3. The "Yellow Submarine" story was written by Erich Segal, who later found fame with what novel-turned-film?
(b) "Love Story".
(c) "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".
(d) "The Exorcist".
4. Engelbert Humperdinck's single, "Release Me," prevented which double-A-side Beatles record from reaching number one?
(a) "Penny Lane" and "Paperback Writer".
(b) "Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields".
(c) "Yesterday" and "Strawberry Fields".
(d) "Paperback Writer" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".
5. After completion of AIR's first studio, what sort of studio did George Martin next want to create?
(a) A total immersion studio.
(b) A traveling immersion studio.
(c) A total environment studio.
(d) A traveling environment studio.
Short Answer Questions
1. What record, produced by George Martin, was the first record taken to the moon?
2. What was the dream of George Martin's childhood, as revealed in Chapter 12?
3. As described early in Chapter 8, what was one of the main reasons George Martin enjoyed working with the Beatles?
4. Which small American record label released "She Loves You" after Capitol Records refused?
5. George Martin and his second wife, Judy Lockhart-Smith, attended the Beatles' fancy dress party for "Magical Mystery Tour" as what characters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspects of Dick Lester's direction does George Martin most admire, in the Beatles' film, "A Hard Day's Night"?
2. What was the first film scored by George Martin, and why does he refer to the process as a nightmare?
3. What is George Martin's explanation for the song, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", contrary to the popular theory that the song is about LSD?
4. What sites did George Martin consider for AIR's second studio, a residential complex, and where was it ultimately constructed?
5. Which is the only Beatles film not scored by George Martin, and why?
6. How did Capitol Records come to take on the Beatles' records, even though they resisted at first?
7. In what way was the construction of the first AIR studio innovative, as described in Chapter 14?
8. What sorts of diversions did the Beatles create, in order to get in and out of their hotel rooms in the U.S.?
9. What difficulties were presented by John Lennon's request that George Martin fuse together two unique versions of "Strawberry Fields Forever"?
10. Briefly describe the controversy surrounding John Lennon's comparison of the Beatles and Jesus.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)