|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the dream of George Martin's childhood, as revealed in Chapter 12?
(a) Becoming an architect.
(b) Writing music for films.
(c) Painting like the Impressionists.
(d) Becoming a rock star.
2. What record, produced by George Martin, was the first record taken to the moon?
(a) "Icarus", by Winter Consort.
(b) "Yesterday", by the Beatles.
(c) "She's Leaving Home", by the Beatles.
(d) "Tubular Bells", by Mike Oldfield.
3. In Chapter 10, which Beatle does George Martin describe as an aural Salvador Dali?
(a) George Harrison.
(b) John Lennon.
(c) Ringo Starr.
(d) Paul McCartney.
4. Which group of painters is George Martin's favorite?
(a) The Humanists.
(b) The Impressionists.
(c) The Expressionists.
(d) The Realists.
5. What password did the Beatles invent, to warn each other about dubious fans approaching?
Short Answer Questions
1. For which movie did George Martin receive his first and only Academy Award nomination?
2. As described in Chapter 14, AIR built its first studio where?
3. At EMI, what did engineer Charlie Anderson do when a photographer wanted to take pictures of a recording artist in the studio?
4. How far above the original floor does the studio floor at AIR's first studio float?
5. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the fourth layer in a four-track recording?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way was the construction of the first AIR studio innovative, as described in Chapter 14?
2. Briefly summarize George Martin's predictions for the future, as of 1979, regarding the use of digital recording.
3. What, according to George Martin, is the best way to orchestrate for strings?
4. What does George Martin define as the golden treadmill?
5. What was the first film scored by George Martin, and why does he refer to the process as a nightmare?
6. As explained in Chapter 13, how does George Martin respond when asked how to become a successful record producer?
7. Discuss two innovations predicted by George Martin in Chapter 15 that have since become reality.
8. How is a compressor used in a recording studio?
9. How is a click track used in scoring a film?
10. In Chapter 11, George Martin expresses his naivety regarding what activities of the Beatles?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)