|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. George Martin states, throughout "All You Need Is Ears", that major change comes to the recording industry at what general interval of time?
(a) Every twenty-five years.
(b) Every ten years.
(c) Every twenty years.
(d) Every fifteen years.
2. Which Beatles song was the first to feature other musicians, in addition to the four Beatles and George Martin?
(a) "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".
(b) "Paperback Writer".
(d) "A Day in the Life".
3. While recording the twenty-four-bar climax for "A Day in the Life", George Martin told the orchestra to disobey a fundamental rule by doing what?
(a) They were told not to tune their instruments.
(b) He did not tell them to disobey a fundamental rule.
(c) They were told not to listen to their neighbors.
(d) They were told not to sit in their usual seats, but to mix the different sections of the orchestra.
4. For which movie did George Martin receive his first and only Academy Award nomination?
(a) "A Hard Day's Night".
(c) "Live and Let Die".
5. In what year did George Martin receive the Britannia Award for being the top British record producer of the past twenty-five years?
Short Answer Questions
1. George Martin wrote the musical score for which Michael Caine film, following the success of "Yellow Submarine"?
2. What album does George Martin cite, in Chapter 12, as the classic example of what a talented amateur can achieve with multi-track recording?
3. Which group of painters is George Martin's favorite?
4. At EMI, what did engineer Charlie Anderson do when a photographer wanted to take pictures of a recording artist in the studio?
5. Who found a solution to the noise problem caused by extra tracks multiplying hiss and crackle?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)