|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did George Martin ultimately agree, in 1976, to score the "Sergeant Pepper" film featuring the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton?
(a) His wife reminded him that if someone else did the job, he wouldn't be there to defend the music's integrity.
(b) The Beatles asked him to do it.
(c) The Bee Gees asked him to do it.
(d) He desperately needed money.
2. What sound near the end of "Good Morning" sounded remarkably like the guitar at the beginning of "Sergeant Pepper", allowing for an easy fusion of "Good Morning" and the "Sergeant Pepper Reprise"?
(a) A man laughing.
(b) A baby crying.
(c) A chicken clucking.
(d) A horse neighing.
3. Regarding orchestration, what does George Martin offer as the secret to good string writing?
(a) Writing all parts close to the piano's middle C.
(b) Writing as if for a piano, with parts for left and right hands.
(c) Writing for four parts, as if for four human voices.
(d) Writing a separate part for each musician.
4. What was the dream of George Martin's childhood, as revealed in Chapter 12?
(a) Becoming a rock star.
(b) Writing music for films.
(c) Becoming an architect.
(d) Painting like the Impressionists.
5. How, according to George Martin, does a computer multiply 17 by 32?
(a) It will multiply 10 by 32, then multiply 7 by 32, then add the results together.
(b) It will multiply 17 by 30, then multiply 17 by 2, then add the results together.
(c) It will add seventeen 30s together, then add seventeen 2s together, then combine the results.
(d) It will add seventeen 32s together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first movie scored by George Martin?
2. During the Beatles' first visit to America, according to George Martin in Chapter 9, what did some middle-aged men on Fifth Avenue wear to show they were in tune?
3. In Chapter 10 George Martin describes his disappointment with EMI, due to their unwillingness to pay him a bonus, using what British turn of phrase?
4. When ADT was first applied to John Lennon's voice, what made-up phrase did George Martin use to describe the mechanics?
5. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the first layer in a four-track recording?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)