|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the dream of George Martin's childhood, as revealed in Chapter 12?
(a) Painting like the Impressionists.
(b) Writing music for films.
(c) Becoming an architect.
(d) Becoming a rock star.
2. In the movie, "Yellow Submarine", what sound effect did George Martin contrive for the enormous monster that sucked up the yellow submarine and, eventually, the movie screen?
(a) Orchestral music played backwards.
(b) A dilruba.
(c) Piccolo trumpets.
(d) Small strips of tape, cut apart and spliced in random order.
3. Why did George Martin ultimately agree, in 1976, to score the "Sergeant Pepper" film featuring the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton?
(a) The Beatles asked him to do it.
(b) He desperately needed money.
(c) The Bee Gees asked him to do it.
(d) His wife reminded him that if someone else did the job, he wouldn't be there to defend the music's integrity.
4. Why did George Martin leave EMI, even though they ultimately agreed to pay him a commission as he requested?
(a) EMI wanted to tie the commission to a specific profit range.
(b) The deal was structured in such a sneaky way that, after subtracting overhead, George Martin would actually owe EMI money.
(c) If he received a commission, he would receive no salary.
(d) If he received a commission, he would no longer be allowed to work with established artists, including the Beatles.
5. Engelbert Humperdinck's single, "Release Me," prevented which double-A-side Beatles record from reaching number one?
(a) "Yesterday" and "Strawberry Fields".
(b) "Paperback Writer" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".
(c) "Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields".
(d) "Penny Lane" and "Paperback Writer".
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the third layer in a four-track recording?
2. George Martin's inspiration for AIR's second studio was The Manor, owned by whom?
3. How far above the original floor does the studio floor at AIR's first studio float?
4. Members of what group invented an instrument called a Gizmo?
5. On George Harrison's "Within You Without You", what Indian violin is featured?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)