|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. George Martin's inspiration for AIR's second studio was The Manor, owned by whom?
(a) Rupert Neve.
(b) Phil Ramon.
(c) Richard Branson.
(d) Mike Oldfield.
2. What password did the Beatles invent, to warn each other about dubious fans approaching?
3. Who found a solution to the noise problem caused by extra tracks multiplying hiss and crackle?
(a) Dick James.
(b) Thomas Dolby.
(c) Dr. Ray Dolby.
(d) George Martin.
4. Which film won the Oscar for musical direction, in the year George Martin was nominated?
(a) "The Sound of Music".
(b) "My Fair Lady".
(c) "Mary Poppins".
(d) "Doctor Zhivago".
5. In the movie, "Yellow Submarine", what sound effect did George Martin contrive for the enormous monster that sucked up the yellow submarine and, eventually, the movie screen?
(a) Orchestral music played backwards.
(b) Piccolo trumpets.
(c) Small strips of tape, cut apart and spliced in random order.
(d) A dilruba.
Short Answer Questions
1. The "Yellow Submarine" story was written by Erich Segal, who later found fame with what novel-turned-film?
2. Why did George Martin leave EMI, even though they ultimately agreed to pay him a commission as he requested?
3. As described in Chapter 10, the British Post Office prevented the Mastersingers from singing a choral version of what?
4. In what city were the Beatles trapped in an overloaded elevator?
5. For which movie did George Martin receive his first and only Academy Award nomination?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)