|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As described in Chapter 10, why did George Martin hesitate to honor John Lennon's request to fuse two versions of "Strawberry Fields"?
(a) They exemplified two different musical styles.
(b) Fusing the two versions would make the song too long.
(c) The equipment at Abbey Road made such a task nearly impossible.
(d) They were in different keys and different tempos.
2. Which Beatles song was the first to feature other musicians, in addition to the four Beatles and George Martin?
(a) "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".
(b) "A Day in the Life".
(c) "Paperback Writer".
3. Regarding orchestration, what does George Martin offer as the secret to good string writing?
(a) Writing a separate part for each musician.
(b) Writing as if for a piano, with parts for left and right hands.
(c) Writing for four parts, as if for four human voices.
(d) Writing all parts close to the piano's middle C.
4. George Martin's inspiration for AIR's second studio was The Manor, owned by whom?
(a) Richard Branson.
(b) Mike Oldfield.
(c) Phil Ramon.
(d) Rupert Neve.
5. George Martin witnessed an argument between Frank Sinatra and Voyle Gilmore during his first trip to America, regarding what topic?
(a) Sinatra wanted to record in London rather than in New York.
(b) Sinatra did not like his newest album cover, featuring a TWA airliner.
(c) Sinatra wanted to record some Beatles tracks.
(d) Sinatra did not like the quality of the studio equipment.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1950s studios had A&R men, meaning what?
2. Where did George Martin build his second AIR studio?
3. Which Beatles associate died from an accidental overdose in August 1967?
4. For which movie did George Martin receive his first and only Academy Award nomination?
5. What was the first movie scored by George Martin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first film scored by George Martin, and why does he refer to the process as a nightmare?
2. How is a compressor used in a recording studio?
3. For the film, "The Family Way", what sort of tune did George Martin ask Paul McCartney to write, and what strategy did he employ when Paul McCartney was slow to comply?
4. Briefly summarize George Martin's predictions for the future, as of 1979, regarding the use of digital recording.
5. What is George Martin's explanation for the song, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", contrary to the popular theory that the song is about LSD?
6. What difficulties were presented by John Lennon's request that George Martin fuse together two unique versions of "Strawberry Fields Forever"?
7. In what way was the construction of the first AIR studio innovative, as described in Chapter 14?
8. How does George Martin compare multi-track recording to a four-layer cake, as described in Chapter 8?
9. What sites did George Martin consider for AIR's second studio, a residential complex, and where was it ultimately constructed?
10. What main advantage did George Martin gain from EMI, as a result of creating gold records with the Beatles?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)