|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the second layer in a four-track recording?
(a) The lead voice.
(b) Harmonies, such as piano or guitar.
(c) Rhythm, such as drums and bass.
(d) Extra bits, called sweetening.
2. Why was George Martin shocked when he viewed "Crooks Anonymous", a film that he scored?
(a) The music was out of sync with the action.
(b) His movie score had been replaced with someone else's.
(c) The vocal track had been removed from the song that played during the opening credits.
(d) The balance between percussion and other instruments was all wrong.
3. Which Beatles song was the first to feature other musicians, in addition to the four Beatles and George Martin?
(a) "Paperback Writer".
(c) "A Day in the Life".
(d) "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".
4. Members of what group invented an instrument called a Gizmo?
(a) Winter Consort.
(b) Deep Purple.
(c) The Ramones.
5. Regarding orchestration, what does George Martin offer as the secret to good string writing?
(a) Writing for four parts, as if for four human voices.
(b) Writing all parts close to the piano's middle C.
(c) Writing a separate part for each musician.
(d) Writing as if for a piano, with parts for left and right hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. After how many attempts, as described in Chapter 9, did Capitol Records agree to release Beatles records?
2. In what year was "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" recorded?
3. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the third layer in a four-track recording?
4. George Martin wrote the musical score for which James Bond film?
5. At the time "All You Need Is Ears" was written, anyone wanting to become a professional record producer had what two options, according to George Martin in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inspired the Beatles to present "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" as a concept album?
2. What was the first film scored by George Martin, and why does he refer to the process as a nightmare?
3. What sorts of diversions did the Beatles create, in order to get in and out of their hotel rooms in the U.S.?
4. Describe the early founding of AIR, Associated Independent Recording.
5. Briefly describe the controversy surrounding John Lennon's comparison of the Beatles and Jesus.
6. What does George Martin define as the golden treadmill?
7. How is a compressor used in a recording studio?
8. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
9. Which is the only Beatles film not scored by George Martin, and why?
10. Discuss two innovations predicted by George Martin in Chapter 15 that have since become reality.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)