|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" recorded?
2. As described early in Chapter 8, what was one of the main reasons George Martin enjoyed working with the Beatles?
(a) Their success won him artistic freedom.
(b) He earned the respect of his mentors.
(c) Their success allowed him to retire early.
(d) He became a multi-millionaire.
3. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the first layer in a four-track recording?
(a) Rhythm, such as drums and bass.
(b) The lead voice.
(c) Extra bits, called sweetening.
(d) Harmonies, such as piano or guitar.
4. As described in Chapter 10, why did George Martin hesitate to honor John Lennon's request to fuse two versions of "Strawberry Fields"?
(a) The equipment at Abbey Road made such a task nearly impossible.
(b) They were in different keys and different tempos.
(c) Fusing the two versions would make the song too long.
(d) They exemplified two different musical styles.
5. On George Harrison's "Within You Without You", what Indian violin is featured?
(a) The chikara.
(b) The mayuri vina.
(c) The charchari.
(d) The dilruba.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did George Martin ultimately agree, in 1976, to score the "Sergeant Pepper" film featuring the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton?
2. George Martin converted a house in what New England town into a recording studio, to record Sea Train?
3. In what city were the Beatles trapped in an overloaded elevator?
4. In Chapter 10 George Martin describes his disappointment with EMI, due to their unwillingness to pay him a bonus, using what British turn of phrase?
5. In the recording industry, what does the acronym ADT stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way was the construction of the first AIR studio innovative, as described in Chapter 14?
2. What album does George Martin consider to be the classic example of what can be achieved by a talented amateur with multi-track equipment?
3. Briefly describe the controversy surrounding John Lennon's comparison of the Beatles and Jesus.
4. What sorts of diversions did the Beatles create, in order to get in and out of their hotel rooms in the U.S.?
5. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
6. How does George Martin compare multi-track recording to a four-layer cake, as described in Chapter 8?
7. For the film, "The Family Way", what sort of tune did George Martin ask Paul McCartney to write, and what strategy did he employ when Paul McCartney was slow to comply?
8. Describe the early founding of AIR, Associated Independent Recording.
9. How is a click track used in scoring a film?
10. What was the first film scored by George Martin, and why does he refer to the process as a nightmare?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)