|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was George Martin shocked when he viewed "Crooks Anonymous", a film that he scored?
(a) The music was out of sync with the action.
(b) His movie score had been replaced with someone else's.
(c) The balance between percussion and other instruments was all wrong.
(d) The vocal track had been removed from the song that played during the opening credits.
2. In filmmaking, what is a click track?
(a) A technique used to speed up or slow film speed.
(b) A separate track used to absorb extraneous noises from the soundtrack.
(c) A separate track featuring a click sound every so many frames of film, used to synchronize the musical score.
(d) A special type of percussion, adding excitement to a scene.
3. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the first layer in a four-track recording?
(a) Rhythm, such as drums and bass.
(b) Extra bits, called sweetening.
(c) The lead voice.
(d) Harmonies, such as piano or guitar.
4. In what city were the Beatles trapped in an overloaded elevator?
(b) St. Louis.
(c) New York.
5. George Martin describes John Lennon and Paul McCartney as the main talent of the Beatles, and describes George Harrison, Ringo Starr, and himself as what?
(a) Subsidiary talents.
(b) Overrated talents.
(c) Marginal talents.
(d) Overshadowed talents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which film won the Oscar for musical direction, in the year George Martin was nominated?
2. As described in Chapter 10, why did George Martin hesitate to honor John Lennon's request to fuse two versions of "Strawberry Fields"?
3. At EMI, what did engineer Charlie Anderson do when a photographer wanted to take pictures of a recording artist in the studio?
4. During the Beatles' first trip to America, why did Alan Livingston attempt to keep George Martin away from press conferences and the limelight?
5. As described in Chapter 14, AIR built its first studio where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George Martin compare multi-track recording to a four-layer cake, as described in Chapter 8?
2. What difficulties were presented by John Lennon's request that George Martin fuse together two unique versions of "Strawberry Fields Forever"?
3. How is a click track used in scoring a film?
4. What aspects of Dick Lester's direction does George Martin most admire, in the Beatles' film, "A Hard Day's Night"?
5. Which is the only Beatles film not scored by George Martin, and why?
6. Briefly describe the controversy surrounding John Lennon's comparison of the Beatles and Jesus.
7. What sorts of diversions did the Beatles create, in order to get in and out of their hotel rooms in the U.S.?
8. What, according to George Martin, is the best way to orchestrate for strings?
9. What sites did George Martin consider for AIR's second studio, a residential complex, and where was it ultimately constructed?
10. Describe the early founding of AIR, Associated Independent Recording.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)