|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, who was mistakenly announced to Oscar Preuss as "Mr. Arse"?
(a) Dr. Karl Oskar, head of EMI.
(b) Dr. Karl Haas, head of EMI.
(c) Dr. Karl Oskar, conductor of the London Baroque Ensemble.
(d) Dr. Karl Haas, conductor of the London Baroque Ensemble.
2. What was George Martin's day job at the BBC Music Library, after he finished music school?
(a) Sorting scores.
(b) Recording young musicians.
3. Who woke George Martin in the middle of the night, at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Paul McCartney.
(b) Mal Evans.
(c) Neil Aspinall.
(d) Brian Epstein.
4. How much were the Beatles to receive per record in royalties, per their original contract with Parlophone?
(a) One pound.
(b) One penny.
(c) Two pennies.
(d) One-half pound.
5. As explained by George Martin in Chapter 2, how is orchestration different from composition?
(a) Orchestration is easier than composition.
(b) Orchestration is more difficult than composition.
(c) Orchestration involves changing a composition, as an editor changes a manuscript.
(d) Orchestration is a matter of giving color to lines that are already there.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Abbey Road, what skills did George Martin realize were required to make recordings, in addition to technical abilities?
2. How, according to George Martin in Chapter 7, was the collaboration of Lennon and McCartney different from Rodgers and Hart?
3. In Chapter 1, Eric Harrison advised George Martin to do what?
4. During their first meeting with George Martin, who was the most talkative Beatle?
5. In 1964, what function did Neil Aspinall perform for the Beatles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George Martin describe the collaborative writing style of John Lennon and Paul McCartney?
2. How, according to George Martin in Chapter 6, did the role of a producer change from the 1950s to the time "All You Need Is Ears" was published, in 1979?
3. What were George Martin's first impressions of the Beatles when he met them for the first time at Abbey Road?
4. How did George Martin come to record "At the Drop of a Hat" with Donald Swann and Michael Flanders, and what was unusual about the recording method he used?
5. What was the danger behind the giggling fits of George Martin and Peter Sellers while recording comedy bits at the studio?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what were George Martin's criticisms of what he described as a lovely villa in Portugal?
7. What events led to the purchase of Capitol Records by Sir Joseph Lockwood, and what artists did EMI gain as a result of the purchase?
8. What was George Martin's opinion of the Beatles talent and potential, upon listening to the demo tapes brought to him by Brian Epstein?
9. Briefly describe George Martin's first meeting with the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, in 1962.
10. Why, according to George Martin in Chapter 2, is pop music not a step down from classical?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)