|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, when George Martin took over Parlophone, who offered to resign?
(a) Judy Lockhart-Smith.
(b) Frank Sinatra.
(c) Oscar Preuss.
(d) Sidney Harrison.
2. Who first contacted George Martin in 1962 about a new group called the Beatles, as described in Chapter 7?
(a) Sid Coleman.
(b) Judy Lockhart-Smith.
(c) Brian Epstein.
(d) Dr. Karl Haas.
3. After attending a concert, George Martin met Eric Harrison, a musician who played which instrument?
4. At the end of Chapter 1, who offered George Martin a job?
(a) Oscar Preuss.
(b) Eric Harrison.
(c) Peter Ustinov.
(d) Sidney Harrison.
5. What two career paths did George Martin consider before joining the Fleet Air Arm?
(a) Baking and woodworking.
(b) Aircraft design and baking.
(c) Architecture and aircraft design.
(d) Architecture and woodworking.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did the Beatles gather to record their first record?
2. According to George Martin in Chapter 7, Ringo Starr's lack of technical skill was made up for by what?
3. What happened to many of the labels at EMI, following World War II, according to George Martin?
4. Early in Chapter 1, when the Beatles stood up George Martin, where did he find them?
5. What was the name of George Martin's first band?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe George Martin's first meeting with the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, in 1962.
2. Briefly outline George Martin's career experiences before beginning his ultimate career in the recording industry.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 1, why did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, call George Martin?
4. What events led to the purchase of Capitol Records by Sir Joseph Lockwood, and what artists did EMI gain as a result of the purchase?
5. Why was George Martin gradually disenchanted with EMI by the end of Chapter 3, and what happened when he announced his plan to accept a position elsewhere?
6. What was George Martin's first job at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3, and what were his primary duties?
7. Early in Chapter 1, why were the Beatles in Paris?
8. How did the Beatles come to change drummers before achieving success and fame, letting Pete Best go in favor of Ringo Starr?
9. Describe the circumstances that led George Martin to marry his first wife, Sheena, and the tragedy, which occurred shortly thereafter.
10. Why did the Beatles stand up George Martin in 1964, as described in Chapter 1?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)