|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was George Martin born?
2. What happened to many of the labels at EMI, following World War II, according to George Martin?
(a) Most moved to America.
(b) They dismissed pop music as a mere fad, thus losing their position in the industry.
(c) Many were diminished or decimated.
(d) They moved from the recording business to television.
3. Who recommended George Martin for the job at Abbey Road, as cited early in Chapter 3?
(a) Dr. Karl Haas.
(b) Peter Ustinov.
(c) Sidney Harrison.
(d) Oscar Preuss.
4. Before George Martin joined the Fleet Air Arm he worked briefly at what occupation?
5. Chapter 1 begins with George Martin waking up where?
(a) His childhood home.
(b) A recording studio.
(c) A house he purchased in London.
(d) A Paris hotel room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does George Martin say he could not have written Beatles tunes?
2. As explained in Chapter 7, why was George Martin first skeptical about the Beatles?
3. After hearing the Beatles play for the first time live, George Martin wanted to replace which musician?
4. What was unusual about the piano-playing skill of Irving Berlin, according to George Martin?
5. What two career paths did George Martin consider before joining the Fleet Air Arm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did George Martin's childhood piano lessons end after only eight sessions, and how did he continue to improve his skill?
2. How does George Martin describe the collaborative writing style of John Lennon and Paul McCartney?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 1, why did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, call George Martin?
4. Describe the flat George Martin grew up in, especially its sparse amenities.
5. How, according to George Martin in Chapter 6, did the role of a producer change from the 1950s to the time "All You Need Is Ears" was published, in 1979?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what were George Martin's criticisms of what he described as a lovely villa in Portugal?
7. Briefly outline George Martin's career experiences before beginning his ultimate career in the recording industry.
8. Why did George Martin turn down Dick James' offer to take on a share in his company?
9. How did the Beatles come to change drummers before achieving success and fame, letting Pete Best go in favor of Ringo Starr?
10. What was George Martin's first job at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3, and what were his primary duties?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)