|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, which two songs did George Martin want the Beatles to record in a foreign language?
(a) "Yesterday" and "Ticket to Ride".
(b) "Ticket to Ride" and "She Loves You".
(c) "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand".
(d) "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "Yesterday".
2. George Martin explains that, in 1954, what was true about singer/songwriters?
(a) Singers were discouraged from singing their own compositions.
(b) Singer/songwriters were asked to choose one specialty or the other.
(c) Singers only sang their own songs.
(d) Singer/songwriters were a rare breed, less common than in the late 1970s.
3. While in the Fleet Air Arm, George Martin was invited to appear on which BBC program?
(a) "Army Marches".
(b) "Top of the Pops".
(c) "Navy Mixture".
(d) "Benny Hill Show".
4. George Martin states that pop music is not a step down from classical, for what reason?
(a) Pop music attracts larger audiences than classical.
(b) Schubert and Beethoven wrote for the masses, creating pop music for their times.
(c) Classical music is formulaic, while pop music is freeform.
(d) Pop music generates much more revenue than classical.
5. Who was the head of Parlophone, whom George Martin met for an interview at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Oscar Preuss.
(b) Brian Epstein.
(c) Eric Harrison.
(d) Sidney Harrison.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who recommended George Martin for the job at Abbey Road, as cited early in Chapter 3?
2. The Beatles first signed with which publisher in America?
3. In Chapter 3, who was mistakenly announced to Oscar Preuss as "Mr. Arse"?
4. Early in Chapter 3, what was George Martin's job at Parlophone?
5. What was George Martin's complaint, in Chapter 4, regarding a beautiful villa in Portugal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Early in Chapter 1, why were the Beatles in Paris?
2. Why was George Martin gradually disenchanted with EMI by the end of Chapter 3, and what happened when he announced his plan to accept a position elsewhere?
3. What was George Martin's first musical love, and what did he do to understand its construction, as described in Chapter 2?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 1, why did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, call George Martin?
5. Relate one anecdote from George Martin's early career at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3.
6. Describe the circumstances that led George Martin to marry his first wife, Sheena, and the tragedy, which occurred shortly thereafter.
7. Why did the Beatles stand up George Martin in 1964, as described in Chapter 1?
8. Why did George Martin turn down Dick James' offer to take on a share in his company?
9. As described at the end of Chapter 5, what embarrassing and untactful conversation did George Martin have with the director of the Scottish Festival of Male Voice Praise?
10. What was George Martin's opinion of the Beatles talent and potential, upon listening to the demo tapes brought to him by Brian Epstein?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)