|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a common mistake made by producers and musicians alike, according to George Martin in Chapter 4?
(a) Over-orchestrating their songs.
(b) Recording at too high a volume for standard record players in the 60s and 70s.
(c) Not protecting their ears from damage.
(d) Not copyrighting their material.
2. In Chapter 1, George Martin mentioned his membership in what dramatic group?
(a) The Waverleys.
(b) The Quavers.
(c) The Four Tune Tellers.
(d) The Cavern.
3. In Chapter 1, George Martin wanted the Beatles to record two songs in which foreign language?
4. George Martin explains that, in 1954, what was true about singer/songwriters?
(a) Singers only sang their own songs.
(b) Singer/songwriters were a rare breed, less common than in the late 1970s.
(c) Singers were discouraged from singing their own compositions.
(d) Singer/songwriters were asked to choose one specialty or the other.
5. Early in Chapter 1, when the Beatles stood up George Martin, where did he find them?
(a) The Hotel Georges Cinq.
(b) The Hotel Georges Deux.
(c) The Hotel Jacques Trois.
(d) The Hotel Jacques Cinq.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it almost never cost effective to play classical music live in modern times, according to George Martin?
2. Who was the sidekick of Jakka the space-boy, a comedic character recorded by George Martin?
3. Why does George Martin say he could not have written Beatles tunes?
4. What, according to George Martin, is the real wonder of music and orchestration?
5. After his first trip to America, Brian Epstein returned with a song written by which undiscovered composer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George Martin value the inability of the human voice to stay completely in tune?
2. Briefly describe the controversy surrounding John Lennon's comparison of the Beatles and Jesus.
3. In what way was the construction of the first AIR studio innovative, as described in Chapter 14?
4. Describe the flat George Martin grew up in, especially its sparse amenities.
5. Why was George Martin gradually disenchanted with EMI by the end of Chapter 3, and what happened when he announced his plan to accept a position elsewhere?
6. What was George Martin's first musical love, and what did he do to understand its construction, as described in Chapter 2?
7. What was the atmosphere at Parlophone immediately following the retirement of Oscar Preuss, as described by George Martin at the beginning of Chapter 5?
8. Why, as described in Chapter 10, did George Martin become increasingly frustrated with EMI?
9. What difficulties were presented by John Lennon's request that George Martin fuse together two unique versions of "Strawberry Fields Forever"?
10. What was George Martin's opinion of the Beatles talent and potential, upon listening to the demo tapes brought to him by Brian Epstein?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)