|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, George Martin reflects that what decision cost him millions of pounds?
(a) Turning down an offer to buy a share in Dick James Music.
(b) Selling his rights to the Beatles catalog to Michael Jackson.
(c) Turning down an offer to buy a share in Dick Clark Music.
(d) Refusing to publish the Beatles' music worldwide.
2. In Chapter 1, which two songs did George Martin want the Beatles to record in a foreign language?
(a) "Yesterday" and "Ticket to Ride".
(b) "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "Yesterday".
(c) "Ticket to Ride" and "She Loves You".
(d) "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand".
3. What was the name of George Martin's first band?
(a) The Waverleys.
(b) The Quavers.
(c) The Four Tune Tellers.
(d) The Beatles.
4. Regarding the family flat where George Martin lived as a boy, which of the following is true?
(a) The flat had electricity but no running water.
(b) The flat had no electricity and the only water supply was a sink on the landing.
(c) The flat had electricity but the only water supply was a sink on the landing.
(d) The flat had no electricity and no running water.
5. Before George Martin joined the Fleet Air Arm he worked briefly at what occupation?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the profession of George Martin's father?
2. How much were the Beatles to receive per record in royalties, per their original contract with Parlophone?
3. During their first meeting with George Martin, which Beatle did not speak a word?
4. In Chapter 7 George Martin and Judy took their first trip to which club, where the Beatles often performed?
5. According to George Martin in Chapter 2, what was the great challenge faced by classical composers in the late twentieth century?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did George Martin's childhood piano lessons end after only eight sessions, and how did he continue to improve his skill?
2. What is the strong warning behind George Martin's pun on a Beatles song, "All You Need Is Ears"?
3. Briefly describe George Martin's first meeting with the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, in 1962.
4. Briefly outline George Martin's career experiences before beginning his ultimate career in the recording industry.
5. How did George Martin come to record "At the Drop of a Hat" with Donald Swann and Michael Flanders, and what was unusual about the recording method he used?
6. Why did George Martin have trouble plugging "Love Me Do", which only reached number 17 on the charts?
7. How does George Martin describe the collaborative writing style of John Lennon and Paul McCartney?
8. What events led to the purchase of Capitol Records by Sir Joseph Lockwood, and what artists did EMI gain as a result of the purchase?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 1, why did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, call George Martin?
10. Why, according to George Martin in Chapter 2, is pop music not a step down from classical?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)