|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to George Martin, is the real wonder of music and orchestration?
(a) You can actually paint sound.
(b) Music is the common language of all people.
(c) Everyone hears notes differently.
(d) Notes on the page become sound in the ear.
2. In what year did the Beatles first reach number one in America?
3. During the original contract between the Beatles and Parlophone, how many titles were the Beatles expected to record?
4. During the Beatles' first recording session, George Martin wanted to replace which Beatle with a studio musician?
(a) John Lennon.
(b) George Harrison.
(c) Pete Best.
(d) Ringo Starr.
5. Chapter 1 begins with George Martin waking up where?
(a) His childhood home.
(b) A Paris hotel room.
(c) A recording studio.
(d) A house he purchased in London.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, George Martin mentioned his membership in what dramatic group?
2. Who were the four Beatles who first met with George Martin in 1962?
3. How much were the Beatles to receive per record in royalties, per their original contract with Parlophone?
4. What was George Martin's complaint, in Chapter 4, regarding a beautiful villa in Portugal?
5. "Love Me Do" hit what number in the charts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did George Martin have trouble plugging "Love Me Do", which only reached number 17 on the charts?
2. Briefly summarize George Martin's experience at the Guildhall School of Music.
3. Why does George Martin value the inability of the human voice to stay completely in tune?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what were George Martin's criticisms of what he described as a lovely villa in Portugal?
5. What was the danger behind the giggling fits of George Martin and Peter Sellers while recording comedy bits at the studio?
6. What events led to the purchase of Capitol Records by Sir Joseph Lockwood, and what artists did EMI gain as a result of the purchase?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 1, why did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, call George Martin?
8. How, according to George Martin in Chapter 6, did the role of a producer change from the 1950s to the time "All You Need Is Ears" was published, in 1979?
9. Why did George Martin turn down Dick James' offer to take on a share in his company?
10. As described at the end of Chapter 5, what embarrassing and untactful conversation did George Martin have with the director of the Scottish Festival of Male Voice Praise?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)