|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the Beatles' first recording session, George Martin wanted to replace which Beatle with a studio musician?
(a) Ringo Starr.
(b) George Harrison.
(c) John Lennon.
(d) Pete Best.
2. By the end of Chapter 3, what was George Martin's job at Parlophone?
(a) Manager of the Beatles.
(b) Lead promoter.
(c) Equipment manager.
(d) Head of the record label.
3. What was the name of George Martin's first band?
(a) The Quavers.
(b) The Waverleys.
(c) The Beatles.
(d) The Four Tune Tellers.
4. Why is it almost never cost effective to play classical music live in modern times, according to George Martin?
(a) Audiences will not pay high ticket prices.
(b) Finding enough talented musicians to form an orchestra is difficult.
(c) The sheer number of musicians needed to form an orchestra.
(d) Most people prefer to buy recordings rather than attend live performances.
5. Who were the four Beatles who first met with George Martin in 1962?
(a) Brian Epstein, John Lennon, George Harrison, and Pete Best.
(b) John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Pete Best.
(c) Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Pete Best, and Ringo Starr.
(d) John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Brian Epstein, and Pete Best.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 1, who offered George Martin a job?
2. At Abbey Road, what skills did George Martin realize were required to make recordings, in addition to technical abilities?
3. What is a common mistake made by producers and musicians alike, according to George Martin in Chapter 4?
4. In what year was George Martin born?
5. Who was the sidekick of Jakka the space-boy, a comedic character recorded by George Martin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George Martin describe the collaborative writing style of John Lennon and Paul McCartney?
2. What was George Martin's first job at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3, and what were his primary duties?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what were George Martin's criticisms of what he described as a lovely villa in Portugal?
4. What is the strong warning behind George Martin's pun on a Beatles song, "All You Need Is Ears"?
5. Why did George Martin turn down Dick James' offer to take on a share in his company?
6. How did the Beatles come to change drummers before achieving success and fame, letting Pete Best go in favor of Ringo Starr?
7. How did George Martin come to record "At the Drop of a Hat" with Donald Swann and Michael Flanders, and what was unusual about the recording method he used?
8. What was the atmosphere at Parlophone immediately following the retirement of Oscar Preuss, as described by George Martin at the beginning of Chapter 5?
9. Relate one anecdote from George Martin's early career at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3.
10. What was the danger behind the giggling fits of George Martin and Peter Sellers while recording comedy bits at the studio?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)