|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The original contract between the Beatles and Parlophone was set to last for how long?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Five years.
2. As described in Chapter 4, what are bass traps?
(a) Chimney-like objects used to absorb bass frequencies.
(b) Devices for altering the frequency of bass guitars.
(c) None of the answers is correct.
(d) Special strings for bass guitars, featuring extra vibration.
3. Who was the sidekick of Jakka the space-boy, a comedic character recorded by George Martin?
(a) A five-legged dog.
(b) Jenna the space-girl.
(c) Jakka had no sidekick.
(d) A three-legged cat.
4. During the original contract between the Beatles and Parlophone, how many titles were the Beatles expected to record?
5. In Chapter 1, Eric Harrison advised George Martin to do what?
(a) Send some of his compositions to the Committee for the Promotion of New Music.
(b) Reenlist in the Fleet Air Arm.
(c) Audition before the Committee for the Promotion of New Music.
(d) Reenlist in the Royal Air Arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the length of the tubing in a French horn?
2. What is a common mistake made by producers and musicians alike, according to George Martin in Chapter 4?
3. Which Beatles song was the first to reach number one in America?
4. Chapter 4 opens with George Martin's discussion of what, and its relationship to sound and music?
5. What was the profession of George Martin's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the strong warning behind George Martin's pun on a Beatles song, "All You Need Is Ears"?
2. Briefly outline George Martin's career experiences before beginning his ultimate career in the recording industry.
3. Why, according to George Martin in Chapter 2, is pop music not a step down from classical?
4. What was the atmosphere at Parlophone immediately following the retirement of Oscar Preuss, as described by George Martin at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. What was George Martin's opinion of the Beatles talent and potential, upon listening to the demo tapes brought to him by Brian Epstein?
6. Briefly describe George Martin's first meeting with the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, in 1962.
7. Why did George Martin turn down Dick James' offer to take on a share in his company?
8. Describe the flat George Martin grew up in, especially its sparse amenities.
9. What was George Martin's first job at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3, and what were his primary duties?
10. Why did George Martin's childhood piano lessons end after only eight sessions, and how did he continue to improve his skill?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)