|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. George Martin states that pop music is not a step down from classical, for what reason?
(a) Pop music generates much more revenue than classical.
(b) Pop music attracts larger audiences than classical.
(c) Classical music is formulaic, while pop music is freeform.
(d) Schubert and Beethoven wrote for the masses, creating pop music for their times.
2. At Abbey Road, what skills did George Martin realize were required to make recordings, in addition to technical abilities?
(a) Diplomatic skills and tact.
(d) Promotion and public relations.
3. Which Beatles song was the first to reach number one in America?
(a) "She Loves You".
(b) "Ticket to Ride".
(c) "I Want to Hold Your Hand".
4. What sort of horn is featured in the Beatles song, "Penny Lane"?
(b) Pocket trumpet.
(c) Piccolo trumpet.
5. The composer Bach trudged hundreds of miles in a failed attempt to meet which other musician, according to George Martin in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to many of the labels at EMI, following World War II, according to George Martin?
2. Which Beatle, according to George Martin in Chapter 7, was the most proficient musician?
3. What was the cause of death of George Martin's mother?
4. What was George Martin's day job at the BBC Music Library, after he finished music school?
5. What is the length of the tubing in a French horn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did George Martin turn down Dick James' offer to take on a share in his company?
2. Briefly describe George Martin's first meeting with the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, in 1962.
3. Relate one anecdote from George Martin's early career at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3.
4. What was George Martin's first job at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3, and what were his primary duties?
5. What was the atmosphere at Parlophone immediately following the retirement of Oscar Preuss, as described by George Martin at the beginning of Chapter 5?
6. What was George Martin's opinion of the Beatles talent and potential, upon listening to the demo tapes brought to him by Brian Epstein?
7. Early in Chapter 1, why were the Beatles in Paris?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what were George Martin's criticisms of what he described as a lovely villa in Portugal?
9. Describe the circumstances that led George Martin to marry his first wife, Sheena, and the tragedy, which occurred shortly thereafter.
10. Why did George Martin have trouble plugging "Love Me Do", which only reached number 17 on the charts?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)