|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the two children of George Martin and Sheena?
(a) Lundy and Froggy.
(b) Pundy and Boggy.
(c) Lindy and Bindy.
(d) Bundy and Poggy.
2. What was the name of George Martin's first band?
(a) The Beatles.
(b) The Quavers.
(c) The Waverleys.
(d) The Four Tune Tellers.
3. According to George Martin in Chapter 7, Ringo Starr's lack of technical skill was made up for by what?
(a) The sweet voice of Paul McCartney.
(c) Solid technique and individuality.
(d) The rough voice of John Lennon.
4. What was the scandal at EMI, involving sopranos Kirsten Flagstad and Elisabeth Schwarzkopf?
(a) Flagstad had throat trouble during a recording session, and Schwarzkopf was secretly brought in to dub in the high C note for her.
(b) Flagstad recorded songs that were released under the Schwarzkopf name.
(c) Schwarzkopf had throat trouble during a recording session, and Flagstad was secretly brought in to dub in the high C note for her.
(d) The two had a secret affair.
5. According to Chapter 2, what was George Martin's first real love in music?
(a) Chopin's "Fantaisie-Impromptu in C-sharp minor".
(b) Debussy's "L'Après-midi d'une faune".
(c) Chopin's "Fantaisie in F minor".
(d) Debussy's "Deux Arabesques".
Short Answer Questions
1. Early in Chapter 3, what was George Martin's job at Parlophone?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 3, George Martin went to Abbey Road to visit which studio?
3. Who was the first president of the London Baroque Society?
4. What was unusual about the piano-playing skill of Irving Berlin, according to George Martin?
5. As explained by George Martin in Chapter 2, how is orchestration different from composition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did George Martin turn down Dick James' offer to take on a share in his company?
2. Briefly describe George Martin's first meeting with the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, in 1962.
3. What was George Martin's first musical love, and what did he do to understand its construction, as described in Chapter 2?
4. How, according to George Martin in Chapter 6, did the role of a producer change from the 1950s to the time "All You Need Is Ears" was published, in 1979?
5. Briefly outline George Martin's career experiences before beginning his ultimate career in the recording industry.
6. As described at the end of Chapter 5, what embarrassing and untactful conversation did George Martin have with the director of the Scottish Festival of Male Voice Praise?
7. Why does George Martin value the inability of the human voice to stay completely in tune?
8. How does George Martin compare the nature of singer/songwriters in the 1950s, when he started at Parlophone, with the situation in 1979, when "All You Need Is Ears" was published?
9. Early in Chapter 1, why were the Beatles in Paris?
10. Describe the flat George Martin grew up in, especially its sparse amenities.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)