|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two career paths did George Martin consider before joining the Fleet Air Arm?
(a) Baking and woodworking.
(b) Architecture and aircraft design.
(c) Aircraft design and baking.
(d) Architecture and woodworking.
2. At the end of Chapter 1, who offered George Martin a job?
(a) Oscar Preuss.
(b) Sidney Harrison.
(c) Eric Harrison.
(d) Peter Ustinov.
3. After attending a concert, George Martin met Eric Harrison, a musician who played which instrument?
4. In 1964, what function did Neil Aspinall perform for the Beatles?
(b) Tour manager.
5. At the time George Martin took over Parlophone, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Stan Kenton, and Peggy Lee were signed with which American label?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does George Martin say he could not have written Beatles tunes?
2. What was George Martin's complaint, in Chapter 4, regarding a beautiful villa in Portugal?
3. Why did George Martin stop taking piano lessons after only eight lessons?
4. As explained in Chapter 7, why was George Martin first skeptical about the Beatles?
5. Which Beatles song was the first to reach number one in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events led to the purchase of Capitol Records by Sir Joseph Lockwood, and what artists did EMI gain as a result of the purchase?
2. Why, according to George Martin in Chapter 2, is pop music not a step down from classical?
3. As described at the end of Chapter 5, what embarrassing and untactful conversation did George Martin have with the director of the Scottish Festival of Male Voice Praise?
4. Why did George Martin's childhood piano lessons end after only eight sessions, and how did he continue to improve his skill?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 1, why did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, call George Martin?
6. Whom does George Martin consider to be his fairy godfather, and how did the two meet?
7. Briefly describe George Martin's first meeting with the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, in 1962.
8. Why does George Martin value the inability of the human voice to stay completely in tune?
9. What was George Martin's opinion of the Beatles talent and potential, upon listening to the demo tapes brought to him by Brian Epstein?
10. Describe the flat George Martin grew up in, especially its sparse amenities.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)