|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to George Martin in Chapter 7, Ringo Starr's lack of technical skill was made up for by what?
(b) Solid technique and individuality.
(c) The sweet voice of Paul McCartney.
(d) The rough voice of John Lennon.
2. At what age did George Martin join his sister at a convent school?
3. As explained in Chapter 4, what is the normal range of hearing for humans?
(a) 20 to 20,000 hertz.
(b) 200 to 100,000 hertz.
(c) 10 to 200,000 hertz.
(d) 20 to 200,000 hertz.
4. The Beatles first signed with which publisher in America?
(a) Dick Clark.
(b) Dick James.
(c) Brian Epstein.
(d) Pete Best.
5. As described in Chapter 4, what are bass traps?
(a) Special strings for bass guitars, featuring extra vibration.
(b) Devices for altering the frequency of bass guitars.
(c) Chimney-like objects used to absorb bass frequencies.
(d) None of the answers is correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in the Fleet Air Arm, George Martin was invited to appear on which BBC program?
2. As explained by George Martin in Chapter 2, how is orchestration different from composition?
3. Who were the four Beatles who first met with George Martin in 1962?
4. Who woke George Martin in the middle of the night, at the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. Who first contacted George Martin in 1962 about a new group called the Beatles, as described in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, according to George Martin in Chapter 2, is pop music not a step down from classical?
2. Why did George Martin's childhood piano lessons end after only eight sessions, and how did he continue to improve his skill?
3. What was George Martin's opinion of the Beatles talent and potential, upon listening to the demo tapes brought to him by Brian Epstein?
4. What was George Martin's first job at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3, and what were his primary duties?
5. What was the danger behind the giggling fits of George Martin and Peter Sellers while recording comedy bits at the studio?
6. What is the strong warning behind George Martin's pun on a Beatles song, "All You Need Is Ears"?
7. As described at the end of Chapter 5, what embarrassing and untactful conversation did George Martin have with the director of the Scottish Festival of Male Voice Praise?
8. Briefly summarize George Martin's experience at the Guildhall School of Music.
9. How, according to George Martin in Chapter 6, did the role of a producer change from the 1950s to the time "All You Need Is Ears" was published, in 1979?
10. How does George Martin describe the collaborative writing style of John Lennon and Paul McCartney?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)