|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it almost never cost effective to play classical music live in modern times, according to George Martin?
(a) Most people prefer to buy recordings rather than attend live performances.
(b) Audiences will not pay high ticket prices.
(c) The sheer number of musicians needed to form an orchestra.
(d) Finding enough talented musicians to form an orchestra is difficult.
2. What was the name of George Martin's first band?
(a) The Beatles.
(b) The Quavers.
(c) The Four Tune Tellers.
(d) The Waverleys.
3. In Chapter 1, which two songs did George Martin want the Beatles to record in a foreign language?
(a) "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "Yesterday".
(b) "Yesterday" and "Ticket to Ride".
(c) "Ticket to Ride" and "She Loves You".
(d) "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand".
4. Why did George Martin stop taking piano lessons after only eight lessons?
(a) His mother had a row with his instructor.
(b) The instructor moved away.
(c) His mother died.
(d) The lessons were too expensive.
5. What was the scandal at EMI, involving sopranos Kirsten Flagstad and Elisabeth Schwarzkopf?
(a) Flagstad had throat trouble during a recording session, and Schwarzkopf was secretly brought in to dub in the high C note for her.
(b) Flagstad recorded songs that were released under the Schwarzkopf name.
(c) The two had a secret affair.
(d) Schwarzkopf had throat trouble during a recording session, and Flagstad was secretly brought in to dub in the high C note for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Early in Chapter 3, what was George Martin's job at Parlophone?
2. Whom does George Martin refer to as his fairy godfather?
3. What was the profession of George Martin's father?
4. During recording sessions, as described in Chapter 5, George Martin and which artist often collapsed into fits of giggles?
5. As explained by George Martin in Chapter 2, how is orchestration different from composition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was George Martin's first job at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3, and what were his primary duties?
2. How did the Beatles come to change drummers before achieving success and fame, letting Pete Best go in favor of Ringo Starr?
3. Why did the Beatles stand up George Martin in 1964, as described in Chapter 1?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what were George Martin's criticisms of what he described as a lovely villa in Portugal?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 1, why did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, call George Martin?
6. How does George Martin describe the collaborative writing style of John Lennon and Paul McCartney?
7. What were George Martin's early life experiences with the piano and performing in general?
8. Why, according to George Martin in Chapter 2, is pop music not a step down from classical?
9. How, according to George Martin in Chapter 6, did the role of a producer change from the 1950s to the time "All You Need Is Ears" was published, in 1979?
10. How did George Martin come to record "At the Drop of a Hat" with Donald Swann and Michael Flanders, and what was unusual about the recording method he used?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)