|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason did George Martin offer, in Chapter 1, for marrying his first wife, Sheena?
(a) Her singing voice.
(b) Rebellion against his mother.
(c) Her family's wealth.
(d) Young love.
2. In Chapter 5, when George Martin took over Parlophone, who offered to resign?
(a) Frank Sinatra.
(b) Sidney Harrison.
(c) Judy Lockhart-Smith.
(d) Oscar Preuss.
3. What was unusual about the piano-playing skill of Irving Berlin, according to George Martin?
(a) He could only play his own compositions.
(b) He could only play with his eyes closed.
(c) He could not play the piano without accompaniment.
(d) He could only play in G flat.
4. As explained in Chapter 7, why was George Martin first skeptical about the Beatles?
(a) He was not sure a major talent could come out of any of the provinces.
(b) He did not like their name.
(c) He doubted they could succeed, given their lack of musical training.
(d) He was skeptical about their longish hair.
5. According to George Martin in Chapter 7, Ringo Starr's lack of technical skill was made up for by what?
(a) Solid technique and individuality.
(b) The rough voice of John Lennon.
(c) The sweet voice of Paul McCartney.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the Beatles' first recording session, George Martin wanted to replace which Beatle with a studio musician?
2. As explained by George Martin in Chapter 2, how is orchestration different from composition?
3. Why is it almost never cost effective to play classical music live in modern times, according to George Martin?
4. Who recommended George Martin for the job at Abbey Road, as cited early in Chapter 3?
5. Before George Martin joined the Fleet Air Arm he worked briefly at what occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was George Martin's opinion of the Beatles talent and potential, upon listening to the demo tapes brought to him by Brian Epstein?
2. Briefly summarize George Martin's experience at the Guildhall School of Music.
3. What were George Martin's early life experiences with the piano and performing in general?
4. How does George Martin describe the collaborative writing style of John Lennon and Paul McCartney?
5. Describe the flat George Martin grew up in, especially its sparse amenities.
6. How did the Beatles come to change drummers before achieving success and fame, letting Pete Best go in favor of Ringo Starr?
7. How did George Martin come to record "At the Drop of a Hat" with Donald Swann and Michael Flanders, and what was unusual about the recording method he used?
8. Briefly outline George Martin's career experiences before beginning his ultimate career in the recording industry.
9. Whom does George Martin consider to be his fairy godfather, and how did the two meet?
10. As described at the end of Chapter 5, what embarrassing and untactful conversation did George Martin have with the director of the Scottish Festival of Male Voice Praise?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)