|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long after the wedding of George Martin and Sheena, did his mother pass away?
(a) One year.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Three years.
2. The B-side of the Beatles' first single, "Love Me Do" was what?
(a) "I want to Hold Your Hand".
(b) "All You Need Is Love".
(c) "She Loves You".
(d) "P.S. I Love You".
3. According to Chapter 2, what was George Martin's first real love in music?
(a) Debussy's "Deux Arabesques".
(b) Chopin's "Fantaisie in F minor".
(c) Debussy's "L'Après-midi d'une faune".
(d) Chopin's "Fantaisie-Impromptu in C-sharp minor".
4. Early in Chapter 1, when the Beatles stood up George Martin, where did he find them?
(a) The Hotel Jacques Cinq.
(b) The Hotel Jacques Trois.
(c) The Hotel Georges Cinq.
(d) The Hotel Georges Deux.
5. What was the name of George Martin's first band?
(a) The Waverleys.
(b) The Four Tune Tellers.
(c) The Beatles.
(d) The Quavers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, who was mistakenly announced to Oscar Preuss as "Mr. Arse"?
2. In Chapter 1, which two songs did George Martin want the Beatles to record in a foreign language?
3. What was the scandal at EMI, involving sopranos Kirsten Flagstad and Elisabeth Schwarzkopf?
4. Who was the first president of the London Baroque Society?
5. Who woke George Martin in the middle of the night, at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what were George Martin's criticisms of what he described as a lovely villa in Portugal?
2. Describe the circumstances that led George Martin to marry his first wife, Sheena, and the tragedy, which occurred shortly thereafter.
3. How does George Martin compare the nature of singer/songwriters in the 1950s, when he started at Parlophone, with the situation in 1979, when "All You Need Is Ears" was published?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 1, why did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, call George Martin?
5. Why did George Martin have trouble plugging "Love Me Do", which only reached number 17 on the charts?
6. Why was George Martin gradually disenchanted with EMI by the end of Chapter 3, and what happened when he announced his plan to accept a position elsewhere?
7. Briefly summarize George Martin's experience at the Guildhall School of Music.
8. Why did George Martin's childhood piano lessons end after only eight sessions, and how did he continue to improve his skill?
9. Why does George Martin value the inability of the human voice to stay completely in tune?
10. As described at the end of Chapter 5, what embarrassing and untactful conversation did George Martin have with the director of the Scottish Festival of Male Voice Praise?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)