Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Engelbert Humperdinck's single, "Release Me," prevented which double-A-side Beatles record from reaching number one?
(a) "Paperback Writer" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".
(b) "Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields".
(c) "Yesterday" and "Strawberry Fields".
(d) "Penny Lane" and "Paperback Writer".
2. Which Beatles movie was produced with no assistance from George Martin?
(a) "Abbey Road".
(c) "Sergeant Pepper".
(d) "A Hard Day's Night".
3. What was the first difference George Martin noticed at Capitol Studios in America, as compared to Abbey Road, as described in Chapter 8?
(a) Capitol had better compressors.
(b) The monitor level in the Capitol control room was much louder than at Abbey Road.
(c) Capitol had no compressors.
(d) The monitor level in the Capitol control room was much lower than at Abbey Road.
4. In Chapter 10 George Martin describes his disappointment with EMI, due to their unwillingness to pay him a bonus, using what British turn of phrase?
(a) Blow this for a lark.
(b) Sod this for a game of soldiers.
(c) Sod this for a lark.
(d) Let's blow this pop-stand.
5. Why did George Martin leave EMI, even though they ultimately agreed to pay him a commission as he requested?
(a) EMI wanted to tie the commission to a specific profit range.
(b) If he received a commission, he would no longer be allowed to work with established artists, including the Beatles.
(c) The deal was structured in such a sneaky way that, after subtracting overhead, George Martin would actually owe EMI money.
(d) If he received a commission, he would receive no salary.
6. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the second layer in a four-track recording?
(a) Extra bits, called sweetening.
(b) Rhythm, such as drums and bass.
(c) Harmonies, such as piano or guitar.
(d) The lead voice.
7. How does George Martin describe the result, when a recording is overcompressed?
(a) Echoes on the track.
(b) The volume of the recording is too low.
(c) Punching holes in the sound.
(d) Background noise, as air enters and leaves the studio.
8. Why was George Martin shocked when he viewed "Crooks Anonymous", a film that he scored?
(a) The balance between percussion and other instruments was all wrong.
(b) The music was out of sync with the action.
(c) The vocal track had been removed from the song that played during the opening credits.
(d) His movie score had been replaced with someone else's.
9. What password did the Beatles invent, to warn each other about dubious fans approaching?
10. After completion of AIR's first studio, what sort of studio did George Martin next want to create?
(a) A traveling environment studio.
(b) A total immersion studio.
(c) A total environment studio.
(d) A traveling immersion studio.
11. How did the recording tape used at Capitol in 1958 differ from the tape used at Abbey Road?
(a) Capitol used half-inch tape to produce a three-track recording, while Abbey Road used quarter-inch tape to produce two tracks.
(b) Capitol used quarter-inch tape to produce a two-track recording, while Abbey Road used half-inch tape to produce three tracks.
(c) Capitol used half-inch tape to produce a three-track recording, while Abbey Road used quarter-inch tape to produce three tracks.
(d) Capitol used one-inch tape to produce a three-track recording, while Abbey Road used half-inch tape to produce two tracks.
12. Who was the first artist recorded by George Martin at AIR's first studio?
(a) Mike Oldfield.
(c) Cilla Black.
(d) The Beatles.
13. George Martin and his second wife, Judy Lockhart-Smith, attended the Beatles' fancy dress party for "Magical Mystery Tour" as what characters?
(a) A nun and a Cockney costermonger.
(b) Peter Sellers and Cilla Black.
(c) Frank Sinatra and Sophia Loren.
(d) Prince Philip and the Queen.
14. After how many attempts, as described in Chapter 9, did Capitol Records agree to release Beatles records?
15. How many years after George Martin returned to England from America, did he finally receive his requested studio upgrades from EMI?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1950s studios had A&R men, meaning what?
2. Which small American record label released "She Loves You" after Capitol Records refused?
3. What sound near the end of "Good Morning" sounded remarkably like the guitar at the beginning of "Sergeant Pepper", allowing for an easy fusion of "Good Morning" and the "Sergeant Pepper Reprise"?
4. George Martin's inspiration for AIR's second studio was The Manor, owned by whom?
5. In 1979, George Martin predicted the now-common change from analog to what sort of recording?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)