|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For which movie did George Martin receive his first and only Academy Award nomination?
(a) "A Hard Day's Night".
(c) "Live and Let Die".
2. As described in Chapter 10, the British Post Office prevented the Mastersingers from singing a choral version of what?
(a) Postal employee regulations.
(b) The telephone directory.
(c) Addresses of government officials.
(d) The history of British stamps.
3. Members of what group invented an instrument called a Gizmo?
(a) Deep Purple.
(b) Winter Consort.
(c) The Ramones.
4. Why did George Martin ultimately agree, in 1976, to score the "Sergeant Pepper" film featuring the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton?
(a) He desperately needed money.
(b) The Beatles asked him to do it.
(c) The Bee Gees asked him to do it.
(d) His wife reminded him that if someone else did the job, he wouldn't be there to defend the music's integrity.
5. George Martin converted a house in what New England town into a recording studio, to record Sea Train?
(b) Cape Cod.
6. George Martin's new business, AIR, is an acronym for what?
(a) Associated Independent Recording.
(b) Associated Independent Records.
(c) Artists Independently Recording.
(d) Artistic Institute of Recording.
7. What does George Martin describe as one of his biggest hurts, during the Pepper era?
(a) John Lennon found someone else to score "Day in the Life", because of a minor scheduling conflict.
(b) He and his first wife divorced.
(c) Paul McCartney found someone else to score "She's Leaving Home", because of a minor scheduling conflict.
(d) He was not invited to be on the cover of the "Sergeant Pepper" album.
8. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the fourth layer in a four-track recording?
(a) The lead voice.
(b) Harmonies, such as piano or guitar.
(c) Extra bits, called sweetening.
(d) Rhythm, such as drums and bass.
9. In what year was "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" recorded?
10. What password did the Beatles invent, to warn each other about dubious fans approaching?
11. What, for George Martin, was the main advantage of recording on two tracks instead of one?
(a) Two songs could be recorded on one section of tape.
(b) If a mistake were made on one track, the other track would compensate.
(c) The rhythms and vocals could be recorded separately.
(d) Two vocalists could sing without hearing each other.
12. As described early in Chapter 8, what was one of the main reasons George Martin enjoyed working with the Beatles?
(a) Their success allowed him to retire early.
(b) He earned the respect of his mentors.
(c) He became a multi-millionaire.
(d) Their success won him artistic freedom.
13. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the third layer in a four-track recording?
(a) Harmonies, such as piano or guitar.
(b) Extra bits, called sweetening.
(c) Rhythm, such as drums and bass.
(d) The lead voice.
14. George Martin and his second wife, Judy Lockhart-Smith, attended the Beatles' fancy dress party for "Magical Mystery Tour" as what characters?
(a) Peter Sellers and Cilla Black.
(b) Frank Sinatra and Sophia Loren.
(c) Prince Philip and the Queen.
(d) A nun and a Cockney costermonger.
15. During the Beatles' first trip to America, why did Alan Livingston attempt to keep George Martin away from press conferences and the limelight?
(a) Alan Livingston wanted to woo the Beatles away from George Martin.
(b) Alan Livingston had turned the Beatles down four separate times.
(c) Alan Livingston thought George Martin's accent was too thick.
(d) Alan Livingston had turned the Beatles down three separate times.
Short Answer Questions
1. As described in Chapter 14, AIR built its first studio where?
2. What record, produced by George Martin, was the first record taken to the moon?
3. At the time "All You Need Is Ears" was written, anyone wanting to become a professional record producer had what two options, according to George Martin in Chapter 12?
4. What problem was discovered at AIR, while Laurence Olivier was recording "Julius Caesar"?
5. While orchestrating the film, "The Family Way", what compromise did George Martin reach with John Boulting?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)