|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first difference George Martin noticed at Capitol Studios in America, as compared to Abbey Road, as described in Chapter 8?
(a) The monitor level in the Capitol control room was much lower than at Abbey Road.
(b) The monitor level in the Capitol control room was much louder than at Abbey Road.
(c) Capitol had better compressors.
(d) Capitol had no compressors.
2. During the Beatles' first visit to America, according to George Martin in Chapter 9, what did some middle-aged men on Fifth Avenue wear to show they were in tune?
(a) Skinny-legged pants.
(b) Beatle wigs.
(c) Collarless suits.
(d) Beatle t-shirts.
3. In what year did George Martin receive the Britannia Award for being the top British record producer of the past twenty-five years?
4. Which Beatles song was the first to feature other musicians, in addition to the four Beatles and George Martin?
(a) "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".
(c) "Paperback Writer".
(d) "A Day in the Life".
5. In the 1950s studios had A&R men, meaning what?
(a) Assimilation and Recruitment men.
(b) Audio and Recording men.
(c) Artists and Repertoire men.
(d) Acoustic and Reverberation men.
6. Why did George Martin leave EMI, even though they ultimately agreed to pay him a commission as he requested?
(a) EMI wanted to tie the commission to a specific profit range.
(b) If he received a commission, he would receive no salary.
(c) The deal was structured in such a sneaky way that, after subtracting overhead, George Martin would actually owe EMI money.
(d) If he received a commission, he would no longer be allowed to work with established artists, including the Beatles.
7. In 1979, George Martin predicted the now-common change from analog to what sort of recording?
8. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the third layer in a four-track recording?
(a) The lead voice.
(b) Harmonies, such as piano or guitar.
(c) Extra bits, called sweetening.
(d) Rhythm, such as drums and bass.
9. When ADT was first applied to John Lennon's voice, what made-up phrase did George Martin use to describe the mechanics?
(a) Double-flanged sploshing bifurcator.
(b) Triple-sploshing bifurcated flange.
(c) Double-bifurcated sploshing flange.
(d) Triple-tracked sploshing flange.
10. Members of what group invented an instrument called a Gizmo?
(a) Deep Purple.
(c) Winter Consort.
(d) The Ramones.
11. What is the double meaning of the title of Chapter 15?
(a) It is both the title of a Beatles song and a reference to his predictions for the future.
(b) It is both the title of a Beatles song and a reference to his fears about the future.
(c) It is both the title of a Cilla Black song and a reference to his predictions for the future.
(d) It is both the title of a Cilla Black song and a reference to his fears about the future.
12. For which movie did George Martin receive his first and only Academy Award nomination?
(c) "A Hard Day's Night".
(d) "Live and Let Die".
13. Who was the first artist recorded by George Martin at AIR's first studio?
(a) Mike Oldfield.
(b) The Beatles.
(c) Cilla Black.
14. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the first layer in a four-track recording?
(a) Harmonies, such as piano or guitar.
(b) Extra bits, called sweetening.
(c) The lead voice.
(d) Rhythm, such as drums and bass.
15. George Martin witnessed an argument between Frank Sinatra and Voyle Gilmore during his first trip to America, regarding what topic?
(a) Sinatra did not like the quality of the studio equipment.
(b) Sinatra wanted to record some Beatles tracks.
(c) Sinatra wanted to record in London rather than in New York.
(d) Sinatra did not like his newest album cover, featuring a TWA airliner.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" recorded?
2. The "Yellow Submarine" story was written by Erich Segal, who later found fame with what novel-turned-film?
3. In filmmaking, what is a click track?
4. On George Harrison's "Within You Without You", what Indian violin is featured?
5. As described in Chapter 10, the British Post Office prevented the Mastersingers from singing a choral version of what?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)