|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first difference George Martin noticed at Capitol Studios in America, as compared to Abbey Road, as described in Chapter 8?
(a) Capitol had no compressors.
(b) Capitol had better compressors.
(c) The monitor level in the Capitol control room was much louder than at Abbey Road.
(d) The monitor level in the Capitol control room was much lower than at Abbey Road.
2. How does George Martin describe the result, when a recording is overcompressed?
(a) Punching holes in the sound.
(b) Background noise, as air enters and leaves the studio.
(c) Echoes on the track.
(d) The volume of the recording is too low.
3. What album does George Martin cite, in Chapter 12, as the classic example of what a talented amateur can achieve with multi-track recording?
(a) Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells".
(b) Winter Consort's "Icarus".
(c) The Beatles' "Sergeant Pepper".
(d) America's "History".
4. George Martin converted a house in what New England town into a recording studio, to record Sea Train?
(c) Cape Cod.
5. In what city were the Beatles trapped in an overloaded elevator?
(c) St. Louis.
(d) New York.
6. After completion of AIR's first studio, what sort of studio did George Martin next want to create?
(a) A total environment studio.
(b) A total immersion studio.
(c) A traveling environment studio.
(d) A traveling immersion studio.
7. What is the double meaning of the title of Chapter 15?
(a) It is both the title of a Cilla Black song and a reference to his predictions for the future.
(b) It is both the title of a Cilla Black song and a reference to his fears about the future.
(c) It is both the title of a Beatles song and a reference to his predictions for the future.
(d) It is both the title of a Beatles song and a reference to his fears about the future.
8. In what year did George Martin receive the Britannia Award for being the top British record producer of the past twenty-five years?
9. During the Beatles' first trip to America, why did Alan Livingston attempt to keep George Martin away from press conferences and the limelight?
(a) Alan Livingston had turned the Beatles down three separate times.
(b) Alan Livingston had turned the Beatles down four separate times.
(c) Alan Livingston thought George Martin's accent was too thick.
(d) Alan Livingston wanted to woo the Beatles away from George Martin.
10. On George Harrison's "Within You Without You", what Indian violin is featured?
(a) The chikara.
(b) The dilruba.
(c) The charchari.
(d) The mayuri vina.
11. Who found a solution to the noise problem caused by extra tracks multiplying hiss and crackle?
(a) George Martin.
(b) Thomas Dolby.
(c) Dick James.
(d) Dr. Ray Dolby.
12. George Martin's inspiration for AIR's second studio was The Manor, owned by whom?
(a) Richard Branson.
(b) Mike Oldfield.
(c) Phil Ramon.
(d) Rupert Neve.
13. As mentioned in Chapter 12, where did George Martin first meet the then-unknown composer, Randy Newman?
(a) A recording studio in London.
(b) A musical factory in Hollywood.
(c) A party in the Caribbean.
(d) A piano bar in Los Angeles.
14. While orchestrating the film, "The Family Way", what compromise did George Martin reach with John Boulting?
(a) George Martin would score the film only if Cilla Black would sing the title song.
(b) They agreed to use a click track if they could not keep things synchronized manually.
(c) If the recording session at the Boulting's Shepperton studio was lacking, another recording would be made at CTS.
(d) George Martin would score the film if Paul McCartney would write the title song.
15. George Martin witnessed an argument between Frank Sinatra and Voyle Gilmore during his first trip to America, regarding what topic?
(a) Sinatra did not like the quality of the studio equipment.
(b) Sinatra did not like his newest album cover, featuring a TWA airliner.
(c) Sinatra wanted to record in London rather than in New York.
(d) Sinatra wanted to record some Beatles tracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which small American record label released "She Loves You" after Capitol Records refused?
2. As described in Chapter 10, why did George Martin hesitate to honor John Lennon's request to fuse two versions of "Strawberry Fields"?
3. How, according to George Martin, does a computer multiply 17 by 32?
4. What does George Martin describe as one of his biggest hurts, during the Pepper era?
5. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the third layer in a four-track recording?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)