|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. George Martin and his second wife, Judy Lockhart-Smith, attended the Beatles' fancy dress party for "Magical Mystery Tour" as what characters?
(a) Prince Philip and the Queen.
(b) Frank Sinatra and Sophia Loren.
(c) Peter Sellers and Cilla Black.
(d) A nun and a Cockney costermonger.
2. Which film won the Oscar for musical direction, in the year George Martin was nominated?
(a) "The Sound of Music".
(b) "Doctor Zhivago".
(c) "Mary Poppins".
(d) "My Fair Lady".
3. In Chapter 12, what does George Martin refer to as a "golden treadmill?"
(a) Following one's dreams.
(b) His meteoric journey with the Beatles.
(c) Marriage and divorce.
(d) Writing one film score after another, to the exclusion of any other musical endeavor.
4. As described in Chapter 14, AIR built its first studio where?
(a) At the top of an old department store in London, in what was once a restaurant for the gentry.
(b) A yacht formerly owned by the Yugoslavian government.
(c) A house in New England.
(d) A private area in the Caribbean.
5. What does George Martin describe as one of his biggest hurts, during the Pepper era?
(a) He and his first wife divorced.
(b) He was not invited to be on the cover of the "Sergeant Pepper" album.
(c) John Lennon found someone else to score "Day in the Life", because of a minor scheduling conflict.
(d) Paul McCartney found someone else to score "She's Leaving Home", because of a minor scheduling conflict.
6. Which Beatles song was the first to feature other musicians, in addition to the four Beatles and George Martin?
(a) "A Day in the Life".
(b) "Paperback Writer".
(c) "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".
7. What did George Martin believe would replace discs played by needles, at the time his book was written?
(a) Tapes scanned by laser beam.
(b) Mp3 technology.
(c) Discs scanned by laser beam.
(d) Discs scanned by x-ray.
8. Members of what group invented an instrument called a Gizmo?
(a) Winter Consort.
(b) The Ramones.
(c) Deep Purple.
9. In what year did George Martin receive the Britannia Award for being the top British record producer of the past twenty-five years?
10. While orchestrating the film, "The Family Way", what compromise did George Martin reach with John Boulting?
(a) George Martin would score the film if Paul McCartney would write the title song.
(b) They agreed to use a click track if they could not keep things synchronized manually.
(c) George Martin would score the film only if Cilla Black would sing the title song.
(d) If the recording session at the Boulting's Shepperton studio was lacking, another recording would be made at CTS.
11. In Chapter 12, George Martin reveals that he uses his collection of gold, silver, and platinum discs for what purpose?
(a) He sells them in order to maintain and upgrade his studios.
(b) He donates them to music schools to inspire young people.
(c) They paper the walls of one room in his house.
(d) They adorn the side walls of his shelving units.
12. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the fourth layer in a four-track recording?
(a) The lead voice.
(b) Extra bits, called sweetening.
(c) Rhythm, such as drums and bass.
(d) Harmonies, such as piano or guitar.
13. What password did the Beatles invent, to warn each other about dubious fans approaching?
14. In the recording studio, what is the function of the compressor?
(a) Allowing the use of a smaller studio.
(b) Protecting the hearing of musicians and engineers.
(c) Lowering the volume of the loudest sounds and enhancing the quietest sounds.
(d) Providing quiet heating and cooling to the studio.
15. George Martin's inspiration for AIR's second studio was The Manor, owned by whom?
(a) Richard Branson.
(b) Mike Oldfield.
(c) Rupert Neve.
(d) Phil Ramon.
Short Answer Questions
1. As described early in Chapter 8, what was one of the main reasons George Martin enjoyed working with the Beatles?
2. In what year was "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" recorded?
3. At EMI, what did engineer Charlie Anderson do when a photographer wanted to take pictures of a recording artist in the studio?
4. Which group of painters is George Martin's favorite?
5. After how many attempts, as described in Chapter 9, did Capitol Records agree to release Beatles records?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)