|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did George Martin receive the Britannia Award for being the top British record producer of the past twenty-five years?
2. After how many attempts, as described in Chapter 9, did Capitol Records agree to release Beatles records?
3. Which Beatles song was the first to feature other musicians, in addition to the four Beatles and George Martin?
(a) "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".
(b) "Paperback Writer".
(d) "A Day in the Life".
4. What album does George Martin cite, in Chapter 12, as the classic example of what a talented amateur can achieve with multi-track recording?
(a) The Beatles' "Sergeant Pepper".
(b) Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells".
(c) America's "History".
(d) Winter Consort's "Icarus".
5. At the time "All You Need Is Ears" was written, anyone wanting to become a professional record producer had what two options, according to George Martin in Chapter 12?
(a) Becoming a staff producer with a large company or attending music school.
(b) Becoming a staff producer with a large company or becoming an independent producer.
(c) Attending production school or becoming an independent producer.
(d) Attending music school or becoming an independent producer.
6. How many years after George Martin returned to England from America, did he finally receive his requested studio upgrades from EMI?
7. How far above the original floor does the studio floor at AIR's first studio float?
(a) Two feet.
(b) Two inches.
(c) One foot.
(d) One inch.
8. In the movie, "Yellow Submarine", what sound effect did George Martin contrive for the enormous monster that sucked up the yellow submarine and, eventually, the movie screen?
(a) Orchestral music played backwards.
(b) Piccolo trumpets.
(c) Small strips of tape, cut apart and spliced in random order.
(d) A dilruba.
9. On George Harrison's "Within You Without You", what Indian violin is featured?
(a) The dilruba.
(b) The chikara.
(c) The mayuri vina.
(d) The charchari.
10. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the third layer in a four-track recording?
(a) Extra bits, called sweetening.
(b) Harmonies, such as piano or guitar.
(c) Rhythm, such as drums and bass.
(d) The lead voice.
11. Which Beatle sang the title song in the James Bond film scored by George Martin?
(a) George Harrison.
(b) Ringo Starr.
(c) Paul McCartney.
(d) John Lennon.
12. When ADT was first applied to John Lennon's voice, what made-up phrase did George Martin use to describe the mechanics?
(a) Double-bifurcated sploshing flange.
(b) Double-flanged sploshing bifurcator.
(c) Triple-tracked sploshing flange.
(d) Triple-sploshing bifurcated flange.
13. The Beatles' friend, Magic Alex, came up with what hypothetical invention to replace lights?
(a) A curtain that would glow in the dark.
(b) A spray-on wall paint that would glow when connected by two anodes.
(c) A spray-on wall paint that would glow in the dark.
(d) A curtain that would glow when connected by two anodes.
14. What problem was discovered at AIR, while Laurence Olivier was recording "Julius Caesar"?
(a) Poor air circulation.
(b) The walls weren't soundproof.
(c) Overly sensitive microphones.
(d) A squeaky floorboard.
15. George Martin and his second wife, Judy Lockhart-Smith, attended the Beatles' fancy dress party for "Magical Mystery Tour" as what characters?
(a) Peter Sellers and Cilla Black.
(b) Frank Sinatra and Sophia Loren.
(c) Prince Philip and the Queen.
(d) A nun and a Cockney costermonger.
Short Answer Questions
1. While orchestrating the film, "The Family Way", what compromise did George Martin reach with John Boulting?
2. What is George Martin's explanation for the song title, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"?
3. Which Beatles associate died from an accidental overdose in August 1967?
4. Which group of painters is George Martin's favorite?
5. What, for George Martin, was the main advantage of recording on two tracks instead of one?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)