|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" recorded?
2. In what year did George Martin receive the Britannia Award for being the top British record producer of the past twenty-five years?
3. What is George Martin's explanation for the song title, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"?
(a) The song was a tribute to John Lennon's mother, Lucy, who often wished for a diamond ring.
(b) Lucy was a stewardess on a flight taken by John Lennon shortly before he wrote the lyrics.
(c) John Lennon's son, Julian, had drawn a picture of his friend, Lucy, floating in a black sky full of stars.
(d) Lysergic acid diethylamide, or LSD, an illegal psychedelic drug.
4. As described in Chapter 10, why did George Martin hesitate to honor John Lennon's request to fuse two versions of "Strawberry Fields"?
(a) They were in different keys and different tempos.
(b) The equipment at Abbey Road made such a task nearly impossible.
(c) They exemplified two different musical styles.
(d) Fusing the two versions would make the song too long.
5. What is the double meaning of the title of Chapter 15?
(a) It is both the title of a Beatles song and a reference to his fears about the future.
(b) It is both the title of a Cilla Black song and a reference to his predictions for the future.
(c) It is both the title of a Cilla Black song and a reference to his fears about the future.
(d) It is both the title of a Beatles song and a reference to his predictions for the future.
6. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the second layer in a four-track recording?
(a) Harmonies, such as piano or guitar.
(b) Extra bits, called sweetening.
(c) Rhythm, such as drums and bass.
(d) The lead voice.
7. Who was the first artist recorded by George Martin at AIR's first studio?
(a) Mike Oldfield.
(c) Cilla Black.
(d) The Beatles.
8. In the 1950s studios had A&R men, meaning what?
(a) Acoustic and Reverberation men.
(b) Artists and Repertoire men.
(c) Assimilation and Recruitment men.
(d) Audio and Recording men.
9. Which Beatles song was the first to feature other musicians, in addition to the four Beatles and George Martin?
(a) "Paperback Writer".
(b) "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".
(d) "A Day in the Life".
10. What did George Martin believe would replace discs played by needles, at the time his book was written?
(a) Discs scanned by laser beam.
(b) Discs scanned by x-ray.
(c) Tapes scanned by laser beam.
(d) Mp3 technology.
11. As stated in Chapter 8, in what year did George Martin make his first trip to America?
12. In 1979, George Martin predicted the now-common change from analog to what sort of recording?
13. In Chapter 10, which Beatle does George Martin describe as an aural Salvador Dali?
(a) Paul McCartney.
(b) John Lennon.
(c) George Harrison.
(d) Ringo Starr.
14. How did the recording tape used at Capitol in 1958 differ from the tape used at Abbey Road?
(a) Capitol used half-inch tape to produce a three-track recording, while Abbey Road used quarter-inch tape to produce three tracks.
(b) Capitol used one-inch tape to produce a three-track recording, while Abbey Road used half-inch tape to produce two tracks.
(c) Capitol used half-inch tape to produce a three-track recording, while Abbey Road used quarter-inch tape to produce two tracks.
(d) Capitol used quarter-inch tape to produce a two-track recording, while Abbey Road used half-inch tape to produce three tracks.
15. During the Beatles' first visit to America, according to George Martin in Chapter 9, what did some middle-aged men on Fifth Avenue wear to show they were in tune?
(a) Skinny-legged pants.
(b) Collarless suits.
(c) Beatle t-shirts.
(d) Beatle wigs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What three reasons does George Martin offer for some groups' desire not to work with a producer?
2. Which Beatles associate died from an accidental overdose in August 1967?
3. After how many attempts, as described in Chapter 9, did Capitol Records agree to release Beatles records?
4. As described early in Chapter 8, what was one of the main reasons George Martin enjoyed working with the Beatles?
5. What was the first movie scored by George Martin?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)