|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first artist recorded by George Martin at AIR's first studio?
(a) Cilla Black.
(b) Mike Oldfield.
(d) The Beatles.
2. What three reasons does George Martin offer for some groups' desire not to work with a producer?
(a) They want the glory that comes with producing themselves; they may fear a producer will steal their ideas; and they may worry a producer will rewrite their songs.
(b) They may fear a producer will steal their ideas; they do not want to surrender a large percentage of the profits to an outsider; and they may feel a producer will inhibit their creativity.
(c) They want the glory that comes with producing themselves; they do not want to surrender a large percentage of the profits to an outsider; and they may feel a producer will inhibit their creativity.
(d) They want the glory that comes with producing themselves; they may worry a producer will rewrite their songs; and they may feel a producer will inhibit their creativity.
3. What did George Martin predict would happen soon after publication of "All You Need Is Ears", regarding holography?
(a) Holographic discs.
(b) Holographic music.
(c) Stereo transmission.
(d) Full-color transmission.
4. In what year did George Martin receive the Britannia Award for being the top British record producer of the past twenty-five years?
5. Why was George Martin shocked when he viewed "Crooks Anonymous", a film that he scored?
(a) His movie score had been replaced with someone else's.
(b) The balance between percussion and other instruments was all wrong.
(c) The vocal track had been removed from the song that played during the opening credits.
(d) The music was out of sync with the action.
6. What was the first difference George Martin noticed at Capitol Studios in America, as compared to Abbey Road, as described in Chapter 8?
(a) The monitor level in the Capitol control room was much louder than at Abbey Road.
(b) Capitol had better compressors.
(c) The monitor level in the Capitol control room was much lower than at Abbey Road.
(d) Capitol had no compressors.
7. In Chapter 10, which Beatle does George Martin describe as an aural Salvador Dali?
(a) George Harrison.
(b) John Lennon.
(c) Ringo Starr.
(d) Paul McCartney.
8. How, according to George Martin, does a computer multiply 17 by 32?
(a) It will add seventeen 32s together.
(b) It will multiply 10 by 32, then multiply 7 by 32, then add the results together.
(c) It will multiply 17 by 30, then multiply 17 by 2, then add the results together.
(d) It will add seventeen 30s together, then add seventeen 2s together, then combine the results.
9. What was the dream of George Martin's childhood, as revealed in Chapter 12?
(a) Becoming an architect.
(b) Becoming a rock star.
(c) Writing music for films.
(d) Painting like the Impressionists.
10. George Martin describes John Lennon and Paul McCartney as the main talent of the Beatles, and describes George Harrison, Ringo Starr, and himself as what?
(a) Overshadowed talents.
(b) Subsidiary talents.
(c) Marginal talents.
(d) Overrated talents.
11. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the second layer in a four-track recording?
(a) Harmonies, such as piano or guitar.
(b) Rhythm, such as drums and bass.
(c) The lead voice.
(d) Extra bits, called sweetening.
12. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the third layer in a four-track recording?
(a) Rhythm, such as drums and bass.
(b) Extra bits, called sweetening.
(c) Harmonies, such as piano or guitar.
(d) The lead voice.
13. Which Beatles associate died from an accidental overdose in August 1967?
(a) Magic Alex.
(b) Pete Best.
(c) Neil Aspinall.
(d) Brian Epstein.
14. In Chapter 12, George Martin reveals that he uses his collection of gold, silver, and platinum discs for what purpose?
(a) They adorn the side walls of his shelving units.
(b) He donates them to music schools to inspire young people.
(c) He sells them in order to maintain and upgrade his studios.
(d) They paper the walls of one room in his house.
15. Members of what group invented an instrument called a Gizmo?
(a) The Ramones.
(c) Deep Purple.
(d) Winter Consort.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" recorded?
2. In filmmaking, what is a click track?
3. When ADT was first applied to John Lennon's voice, what made-up phrase did George Martin use to describe the mechanics?
4. George Martin wrote the musical score for which Michael Caine film, following the success of "Yellow Submarine"?
5. What does George Martin describe as a lifetime ambition in Chapter 12, unfulfilled when the book was written?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)