|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time "All You Need Is Ears" was written, what equipment was used to alter the pitch of a human voice recording?
(a) Vocal Harmoniser.
(b) Harmonising Eventide.
(c) Eventide Harmoniser.
(d) Harmonising Vocaliser.
2. What was George Martin's day job at the BBC Music Library, after he finished music school?
(b) Recording young musicians.
(c) Sorting scores.
3. How much were the Beatles to receive per record in royalties, per their original contract with Parlophone?
(a) Two pennies.
(b) One-half pound.
(c) One pound.
(d) One penny.
4. At Abbey Road, what skills did George Martin realize were required to make recordings, in addition to technical abilities?
(a) Promotion and public relations.
(b) Diplomatic skills and tact.
5. After his first trip to America, Brian Epstein returned with a song written by which undiscovered composer?
(a) Irving Berlin.
(b) Dick James.
(c) Burt Bacharach.
(d) Elvis Presley.
6. What is the length of the tubing in a French horn?
(a) Twenty-six feet.
(b) Twelve feet.
(c) Ten feet.
(d) Sixteen feet.
7. While in the Fleet Air Arm, George Martin was invited to appear on which BBC program?
(a) "Benny Hill Show".
(b) "Army Marches".
(c) "Top of the Pops".
(d) "Navy Mixture".
8. At the time George Martin took over Parlophone, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Stan Kenton, and Peggy Lee were signed with which American label?
9. Unbeknownst to George Martin, the Beatles wanted to replace one of their musicians with what new man?
(a) Ringo Starr.
(b) Brian Epstein.
(c) Paul McCartney.
(d) John Lennon.
10. In what year was George Martin born?
11. Which Beatle, according to George Martin in Chapter 7, was the most proficient musician?
(a) Paul McCartney.
(b) George Harrison.
(c) Ringo Starr.
(d) John Lennon.
12. According to Chapter 2, what was George Martin's first real love in music?
(a) Debussy's "L'Après-midi d'une faune".
(b) Chopin's "Fantaisie-Impromptu in C-sharp minor".
(c) Chopin's "Fantaisie in F minor".
(d) Debussy's "Deux Arabesques".
13. During his first meeting with George Martin, the Beatles' manager said that everyone in Liverpool described them in what way?
(a) The bee's knees.
(b) The best thing since sliced bread.
(c) The cat's pajamas.
(d) Twenty-three skidoo.
14. What was the cause of death of George Martin's mother?
(a) Heart attack.
(c) Cerebral hemorrhage.
15. George Martin's fairy godfather helped him to gain admission to which school?
(b) Royal Symphonic.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their first meeting with George Martin, which Beatle did not speak a word?
2. What was George Martin's complaint, in Chapter 4, regarding a beautiful villa in Portugal?
3. The original contract between the Beatles and Parlophone was set to last for how long?
4. As explained in Chapter 4, what is the normal range of hearing for humans?
5. Who woke George Martin in the middle of the night, at the beginning of Chapter 1?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)