|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When George Martin took over Parlophone, what was the job description of Shirley Spence?
(a) Judy Lockhart-Smith's assistant.
(b) Recording engineer.
2. Regarding the family flat where George Martin lived as a boy, which of the following is true?
(a) The flat had electricity but no running water.
(b) The flat had no electricity and no running water.
(c) The flat had no electricity and the only water supply was a sink on the landing.
(d) The flat had electricity but the only water supply was a sink on the landing.
3. Chapter 4 opens with George Martin's discussion of what, and its relationship to sound and music?
(a) Pop culture.
(b) The economy.
4. How much were the Beatles to receive per record in royalties, per their original contract with Parlophone?
(a) One pound.
(b) One penny.
(c) One-half pound.
(d) Two pennies.
5. George Martin's fairy godfather helped him to gain admission to which school?
(d) Royal Symphonic.
6. By the end of Chapter 3, what was George Martin's job at Parlophone?
(a) Head of the record label.
(b) Lead promoter.
(c) Equipment manager.
(d) Manager of the Beatles.
7. Who was the manager of the Beatles in 1962?
(a) Sid Coleman.
(b) Brian Epstein.
(c) John Lennon.
(d) Sidney Harrison.
8. The title of the book and of Chapter 4 is a pun on what Beatles song?
(a) "Ears Are All You Need".
(b) "All You Need Is Tears".
(c) "Love Is All You Need".
(d) "All You Need Is Love".
9. What was the scandal at EMI, involving sopranos Kirsten Flagstad and Elisabeth Schwarzkopf?
(a) Flagstad recorded songs that were released under the Schwarzkopf name.
(b) Flagstad had throat trouble during a recording session, and Schwarzkopf was secretly brought in to dub in the high C note for her.
(c) Schwarzkopf had throat trouble during a recording session, and Flagstad was secretly brought in to dub in the high C note for her.
(d) The two had a secret affair.
10. Who are the two children of George Martin and Sheena?
(a) Lundy and Froggy.
(b) Pundy and Boggy.
(c) Bundy and Poggy.
(d) Lindy and Bindy.
11. During recording sessions, as described in Chapter 5, George Martin and which artist often collapsed into fits of giggles?
(a) Peggy Lee.
(b) Frank Sinatra.
(c) Peter Sellers.
(d) George Harrison.
12. Who were the four Beatles who first met with George Martin in 1962?
(a) John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Brian Epstein, and Pete Best.
(b) John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Pete Best.
(c) Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Pete Best, and Ringo Starr.
(d) Brian Epstein, John Lennon, George Harrison, and Pete Best.
13. As explained in Chapter 4, what is the normal range of hearing for humans?
(a) 200 to 100,000 hertz.
(b) 10 to 200,000 hertz.
(c) 20 to 20,000 hertz.
(d) 20 to 200,000 hertz.
14. During the original contract between the Beatles and Parlophone, how many titles were the Beatles expected to record?
15. Chapter 1 begins with George Martin waking up where?
(a) A recording studio.
(b) A house he purchased in London.
(c) A Paris hotel room.
(d) His childhood home.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, George Martin mentioned his membership in what dramatic group?
2. Who was the head of Parlophone, whom George Martin met for an interview at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. What was the name of George Martin's first band?
4. What sort of horn is featured in the Beatles song, "Penny Lane"?
5. After attending a concert, George Martin met Eric Harrison, a musician who played which instrument?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)