|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, George Martin mentioned his membership in what dramatic group?
(a) The Quavers.
(b) The Four Tune Tellers.
(c) The Cavern.
(d) The Waverleys.
2. During his first meeting with George Martin, the Beatles' manager said that everyone in Liverpool described them in what way?
(a) The bee's knees.
(b) Twenty-three skidoo.
(c) The cat's pajamas.
(d) The best thing since sliced bread.
3. During the original contract between the Beatles and Parlophone, how many titles were the Beatles expected to record?
4. Chapter 4 opens with George Martin's discussion of what, and its relationship to sound and music?
(b) The economy.
(c) Pop culture.
5. What was George Martin's day job at the BBC Music Library, after he finished music school?
(a) Recording young musicians.
(b) Sorting scores.
6. Who was the head of Parlophone, whom George Martin met for an interview at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Eric Harrison.
(b) Brian Epstein.
(c) Sidney Harrison.
(d) Oscar Preuss.
7. At the time "All You Need Is Ears" was written, what equipment was used to alter the pitch of a human voice recording?
(a) Harmonising Eventide.
(b) Eventide Harmoniser.
(c) Harmonising Vocaliser.
(d) Vocal Harmoniser.
8. Who created the Beatles' early image, featuring their famous haircuts?
(a) George Martin.
(b) Pete Best.
(c) Sid Coleman.
(d) Brian Epstein.
9. In Chapter 1, Eric Harrison advised George Martin to do what?
(a) Reenlist in the Royal Air Arm.
(b) Send some of his compositions to the Committee for the Promotion of New Music.
(c) Audition before the Committee for the Promotion of New Music.
(d) Reenlist in the Fleet Air Arm.
10. George Martin perceived which Beatle to be the leader of the group, early in their relationship, as described in Chapter 7?
(a) George Harrison.
(b) John Lennon.
(c) Paul McCartney.
(d) No one.
11. After hearing the Beatles play for the first time live, George Martin wanted to replace which musician?
(a) The vocalist.
(b) The lead guitarist.
(c) The drummer.
(d) The bass player.
12. How long after the wedding of George Martin and Sheena, did his mother pass away?
(a) One year.
(b) Three years.
(c) One week.
(d) Three weeks.
13. In Chapter 7, George Martin reflects that what decision cost him millions of pounds?
(a) Turning down an offer to buy a share in Dick Clark Music.
(b) Turning down an offer to buy a share in Dick James Music.
(c) Refusing to publish the Beatles' music worldwide.
(d) Selling his rights to the Beatles catalog to Michael Jackson.
14. George Martin guesses he was how old when his family got a piano?
15. The B-side of the Beatles' first single, "Love Me Do" was what?
(a) "She Loves You".
(b) "All You Need Is Love".
(c) "I want to Hold Your Hand".
(d) "P.S. I Love You".
Short Answer Questions
1. What was unusual about the piano-playing skill of Irving Berlin, according to George Martin?
2. George Martin's fairy godfather helped him to gain admission to which school?
3. Whom does George Martin refer to as his fairy godfather?
4. During their first meeting with George Martin, who was the most talkative Beatle?
5. According to George Martin in Chapter 4, why is a human voice more interesting than a synthesizer?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)