|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Early in the Beatles' saga, who was the assistant to Neil Aspinall?
(a) Brian Epstein.
(b) George Martin.
(c) George Harrison.
(d) Mal Evans.
2. The Beatles first signed with which publisher in America?
(a) Brian Epstein.
(b) Pete Best.
(c) Dick James.
(d) Dick Clark.
3. Regarding the family flat where George Martin lived as a boy, which of the following is true?
(a) The flat had no electricity and no running water.
(b) The flat had electricity but no running water.
(c) The flat had no electricity and the only water supply was a sink on the landing.
(d) The flat had electricity but the only water supply was a sink on the landing.
4. What was George Martin's day job at the BBC Music Library, after he finished music school?
(a) Recording young musicians.
(d) Sorting scores.
5. Why did George Martin stop taking piano lessons after only eight lessons?
(a) The lessons were too expensive.
(b) His mother had a row with his instructor.
(c) The instructor moved away.
(d) His mother died.
6. What, according to George Martin, is the real wonder of music and orchestration?
(a) Everyone hears notes differently.
(b) Music is the common language of all people.
(c) You can actually paint sound.
(d) Notes on the page become sound in the ear.
7. The title of the book and of Chapter 4 is a pun on what Beatles song?
(a) "Love Is All You Need".
(b) "Ears Are All You Need".
(c) "All You Need Is Love".
(d) "All You Need Is Tears".
8. Chapter 1 begins with George Martin waking up where?
(a) A house he purchased in London.
(b) A recording studio.
(c) A Paris hotel room.
(d) His childhood home.
9. Before George Martin joined the Fleet Air Arm he worked briefly at what occupation?
10. In Chapter 7, George Martin reflects that what decision cost him millions of pounds?
(a) Selling his rights to the Beatles catalog to Michael Jackson.
(b) Turning down an offer to buy a share in Dick James Music.
(c) Turning down an offer to buy a share in Dick Clark Music.
(d) Refusing to publish the Beatles' music worldwide.
11. Who was the head of Parlophone, whom George Martin met for an interview at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Oscar Preuss.
(b) Eric Harrison.
(c) Sidney Harrison.
(d) Brian Epstein.
12. Who was the first president of the London Baroque Society?
(a) George Martin.
(b) Peter Ustinov.
(c) Dr. Karl Oskar.
(d) Oscar Preuss.
13. By the end of Chapter 3, what was George Martin's job at Parlophone?
(a) Equipment manager.
(b) Manager of the Beatles.
(c) Head of the record label.
(d) Lead promoter.
14. What is the length of the tubing in a French horn?
(a) Twelve feet.
(b) Ten feet.
(c) Sixteen feet.
(d) Twenty-six feet.
15. Which Beatles song was the first to reach number one in America?
(a) "I Want to Hold Your Hand".
(b) "She Loves You".
(c) "Ticket to Ride".
Short Answer Questions
1. "Love Me Do" hit what number in the charts?
2. When George Martin was a child, his grandmother lived where?
3. At the end of Chapter 1, who offered George Martin a job?
4. What two career paths did George Martin consider before joining the Fleet Air Arm?
5. In 1964, what function did Neil Aspinall perform for the Beatles?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)