|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what date did the Beatles gather to record their first record?
(a) July 22, 1962.
(b) August 12, 1963.
(c) July 9, 1961.
(d) September 11, 1962.
2. At the time George Martin took over Parlophone, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Stan Kenton, and Peggy Lee were signed with which American label?
3. In what year did the Beatles first reach number one in America?
4. At what age did George Martin join his sister at a convent school?
5. By the end of Chapter 3, what was George Martin's job at Parlophone?
(a) Head of the record label.
(b) Lead promoter.
(c) Equipment manager.
(d) Manager of the Beatles.
6. Before George Martin joined the Fleet Air Arm he worked briefly at what occupation?
7. At the end of Chapter 1, who offered George Martin a job?
(a) Eric Harrison.
(b) Sidney Harrison.
(c) Peter Ustinov.
(d) Oscar Preuss.
8. During recording sessions, as described in Chapter 5, George Martin and which artist often collapsed into fits of giggles?
(a) Peter Sellers.
(b) Peggy Lee.
(c) George Harrison.
(d) Frank Sinatra.
9. Chapter 4 opens with George Martin's discussion of what, and its relationship to sound and music?
(a) The economy.
(b) Pop culture.
10. In Chapter 3, who was mistakenly announced to Oscar Preuss as "Mr. Arse"?
(a) Dr. Karl Haas, head of EMI.
(b) Dr. Karl Oskar, conductor of the London Baroque Ensemble.
(c) Dr. Karl Haas, conductor of the London Baroque Ensemble.
(d) Dr. Karl Oskar, head of EMI.
11. When George Martin was a child, his grandmother lived where?
12. In Chapter 7, George Martin reflects that what decision cost him millions of pounds?
(a) Selling his rights to the Beatles catalog to Michael Jackson.
(b) Turning down an offer to buy a share in Dick Clark Music.
(c) Refusing to publish the Beatles' music worldwide.
(d) Turning down an offer to buy a share in Dick James Music.
13. What sort of horn is featured in the Beatles song, "Penny Lane"?
(a) Piccolo trumpet.
(c) Pocket trumpet.
14. After his first trip to America, Brian Epstein returned with a song written by which undiscovered composer?
(a) Burt Bacharach.
(b) Irving Berlin.
(c) Dick James.
(d) Elvis Presley.
15. Which Beatle, according to George Martin in Chapter 7, was the most proficient musician?
(a) George Harrison.
(b) John Lennon.
(c) Paul McCartney.
(d) Ringo Starr.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two children of George Martin and Sheena?
2. What is the length of the tubing in a French horn?
3. Early in Chapter 1, when the Beatles stood up George Martin, where did he find them?
4. Why does George Martin say he could not have written Beatles tunes?
5. The B-side of the Beatles' first single, "Love Me Do" was what?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)