|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the sidekick of Jakka the space-boy, a comedic character recorded by George Martin?
(a) A five-legged dog.
(b) Jenna the space-girl.
(c) Jakka had no sidekick.
(d) A three-legged cat.
2. Who were the four Beatles who first met with George Martin in 1962?
(a) Brian Epstein, John Lennon, George Harrison, and Pete Best.
(b) Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Pete Best, and Ringo Starr.
(c) John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Brian Epstein, and Pete Best.
(d) John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Pete Best.
3. As described in Chapter 4, what are bass traps?
(a) Special strings for bass guitars, featuring extra vibration.
(b) Chimney-like objects used to absorb bass frequencies.
(c) Devices for altering the frequency of bass guitars.
(d) None of the answers is correct.
4. In Chapter 1, George Martin mentioned his membership in what dramatic group?
(a) The Quavers.
(b) The Waverleys.
(c) The Cavern.
(d) The Four Tune Tellers.
5. Early in the Beatles' saga, who was the assistant to Neil Aspinall?
(a) George Harrison.
(b) Brian Epstein.
(c) Mal Evans.
(d) George Martin.
6. In Chapter 1, which two songs did George Martin want the Beatles to record in a foreign language?
(a) "Ticket to Ride" and "She Loves You".
(b) "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "Yesterday".
(c) "Yesterday" and "Ticket to Ride".
(d) "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand".
7. What two career paths did George Martin consider before joining the Fleet Air Arm?
(a) Architecture and aircraft design.
(b) Aircraft design and baking.
(c) Architecture and woodworking.
(d) Baking and woodworking.
8. What is the mathematical relationship between middle A, the octave above middle A, and the octave below middle A on a standard piano?
(a) The notes vibrate respectively at 440, 880, and 220 hertz.
(b) The notes vibrate respectively at 440, 880, and 1600 hertz.
(c) The notes vibrate respectively at 220, 440, and 110 hertz.
(d) The notes vibrate respectively at 220, 440, and 880 hertz.
9. "Love Me Do" hit what number in the charts?
10. What was George Martin's day job at the BBC Music Library, after he finished music school?
(a) Recording young musicians.
(d) Sorting scores.
11. George Martin guesses he was how old when his family got a piano?
12. What reason did George Martin offer, in Chapter 1, for marrying his first wife, Sheena?
(a) Her family's wealth.
(b) Rebellion against his mother.
(c) Young love.
(d) Her singing voice.
13. The title of the book and of Chapter 4 is a pun on what Beatles song?
(a) "Ears Are All You Need".
(b) "All You Need Is Love".
(c) "Love Is All You Need".
(d) "All You Need Is Tears".
14. Who woke George Martin in the middle of the night, at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Paul McCartney.
(b) Mal Evans.
(c) Brian Epstein.
(d) Neil Aspinall.
15. Who are the two children of George Martin and Sheena?
(a) Bundy and Poggy.
(b) Lundy and Froggy.
(c) Lindy and Bindy.
(d) Pundy and Boggy.
Short Answer Questions
1. The B-side of the Beatles' first single, "Love Me Do" was what?
2. Who created the Beatles' early image, featuring their famous haircuts?
3. Who recommended George Martin for the job at Abbey Road, as cited early in Chapter 3?
4. Who was the manager of the Beatles in 1962?
5. In Chapter 3, who was mistakenly announced to Oscar Preuss as "Mr. Arse"?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)