|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the scandal at EMI, involving sopranos Kirsten Flagstad and Elisabeth Schwarzkopf?
(a) The two had a secret affair.
(b) Schwarzkopf had throat trouble during a recording session, and Flagstad was secretly brought in to dub in the high C note for her.
(c) Flagstad had throat trouble during a recording session, and Schwarzkopf was secretly brought in to dub in the high C note for her.
(d) Flagstad recorded songs that were released under the Schwarzkopf name.
2. On what date did the Beatles gather to record their first record?
(a) August 12, 1963.
(b) July 22, 1962.
(c) July 9, 1961.
(d) September 11, 1962.
3. At the time "All You Need Is Ears" was written, what equipment was used to alter the pitch of a human voice recording?
(a) Harmonising Vocaliser.
(b) Harmonising Eventide.
(c) Eventide Harmoniser.
(d) Vocal Harmoniser.
4. In Chapter 1, Eric Harrison advised George Martin to do what?
(a) Send some of his compositions to the Committee for the Promotion of New Music.
(b) Reenlist in the Fleet Air Arm.
(c) Reenlist in the Royal Air Arm.
(d) Audition before the Committee for the Promotion of New Music.
5. Early in Chapter 3, what was George Martin's job at Parlophone?
(a) Overseeing classical music.
(b) Sorting scores.
6. When George Martin took over Parlophone, what was the job description of Shirley Spence?
(a) Recording engineer.
(b) Judy Lockhart-Smith's assistant.
7. "Love Me Do" hit what number in the charts?
8. What is the length of the tubing in a French horn?
(a) Twenty-six feet.
(b) Ten feet.
(c) Sixteen feet.
(d) Twelve feet.
9. While in the Fleet Air Arm, George Martin was invited to appear on which BBC program?
(a) "Benny Hill Show".
(b) "Army Marches".
(c) "Navy Mixture".
(d) "Top of the Pops".
10. Who was the sidekick of Jakka the space-boy, a comedic character recorded by George Martin?
(a) A five-legged dog.
(b) A three-legged cat.
(c) Jenna the space-girl.
(d) Jakka had no sidekick.
11. As described in Chapter 4, what are bass traps?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) Chimney-like objects used to absorb bass frequencies.
(c) Special strings for bass guitars, featuring extra vibration.
(d) Devices for altering the frequency of bass guitars.
12. In Chapter 1, which two songs did George Martin want the Beatles to record in a foreign language?
(a) "Yesterday" and "Ticket to Ride".
(b) "Ticket to Ride" and "She Loves You".
(c) "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "Yesterday".
(d) "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand".
13. Who was the manager of the Beatles in 1962?
(a) Sidney Harrison.
(b) Sid Coleman.
(c) John Lennon.
(d) Brian Epstein.
14. The original contract between the Beatles and Parlophone was set to last for how long?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) One year.
(d) Five years.
15. Regarding the family flat where George Martin lived as a boy, which of the following is true?
(a) The flat had no electricity and no running water.
(b) The flat had no electricity and the only water supply was a sink on the landing.
(c) The flat had electricity but no running water.
(d) The flat had electricity but the only water supply was a sink on the landing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did George Martin stop taking piano lessons after only eight lessons?
2. Chapter 4 opens with George Martin's discussion of what, and its relationship to sound and music?
3. The Beatles first signed with which publisher in America?
4. Before George Martin joined the Fleet Air Arm he worked briefly at what occupation?
5. As explained in Chapter 4, what is the normal range of hearing for humans?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)