|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first president of the London Baroque Society?
(a) Peter Ustinov.
(b) Dr. Karl Oskar.
(c) George Martin.
(d) Oscar Preuss.
2. According to George Martin in Chapter 4, why is a human voice more interesting than a synthesizer?
(a) The human voice touches one's soul.
(b) The human voice enunciates words better.
(c) The human voice includes variations in pitch and tone.
(d) The human voice is male or female.
3. Who first contacted George Martin in 1962 about a new group called the Beatles, as described in Chapter 7?
(a) Dr. Karl Haas.
(b) Brian Epstein.
(c) Judy Lockhart-Smith.
(d) Sid Coleman.
4. Who woke George Martin in the middle of the night, at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Brian Epstein.
(b) Mal Evans.
(c) Neil Aspinall.
(d) Paul McCartney.
5. George Martin guesses he was how old when his family got a piano?
6. As explained by George Martin in Chapter 2, how is orchestration different from composition?
(a) Orchestration involves changing a composition, as an editor changes a manuscript.
(b) Orchestration is easier than composition.
(c) Orchestration is a matter of giving color to lines that are already there.
(d) Orchestration is more difficult than composition.
7. What, according to George Martin, is the real wonder of music and orchestration?
(a) You can actually paint sound.
(b) Everyone hears notes differently.
(c) Notes on the page become sound in the ear.
(d) Music is the common language of all people.
8. As explained in Chapter 4, what is the normal range of hearing for humans?
(a) 10 to 200,000 hertz.
(b) 200 to 100,000 hertz.
(c) 20 to 20,000 hertz.
(d) 20 to 200,000 hertz.
9. Early in the Beatles' saga, who was the assistant to Neil Aspinall?
(a) George Martin.
(b) Brian Epstein.
(c) Mal Evans.
(d) George Harrison.
10. While in the Fleet Air Arm, George Martin was invited to appear on which BBC program?
(a) "Army Marches".
(b) "Navy Mixture".
(c) "Benny Hill Show".
(d) "Top of the Pops".
11. Why did George Martin stop taking piano lessons after only eight lessons?
(a) His mother died.
(b) The lessons were too expensive.
(c) The instructor moved away.
(d) His mother had a row with his instructor.
12. After hearing the Beatles play for the first time live, George Martin wanted to replace which musician?
(a) The drummer.
(b) The bass player.
(c) The lead guitarist.
(d) The vocalist.
13. Early in Chapter 1, when the Beatles stood up George Martin, where did he find them?
(a) The Hotel Jacques Cinq.
(b) The Hotel Georges Deux.
(c) The Hotel Jacques Trois.
(d) The Hotel Georges Cinq.
14. Who are the two children of George Martin and Sheena?
(a) Bundy and Poggy.
(b) Lindy and Bindy.
(c) Lundy and Froggy.
(d) Pundy and Boggy.
15. George Martin perceived which Beatle to be the leader of the group, early in their relationship, as described in Chapter 7?
(a) George Harrison.
(b) Paul McCartney.
(c) John Lennon.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, which two songs did George Martin want the Beatles to record in a foreign language?
2. George Martin had trouble plugging "Love Me Do" for what reason, as explained in Chapter 7?
3. In Chapter 7 George Martin and Judy took their first trip to which club, where the Beatles often performed?
4. At the end of Chapter 1, who offered George Martin a job?
5. As explained in Chapter 7, why was George Martin first skeptical about the Beatles?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)