|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before George Martin joined the Fleet Air Arm he worked briefly at what occupation?
2. Chapter 4 opens with George Martin's discussion of what, and its relationship to sound and music?
(a) Pop culture.
(d) The economy.
3. By the end of Chapter 3, what was George Martin's job at Parlophone?
(a) Head of the record label.
(b) Lead promoter.
(c) Equipment manager.
(d) Manager of the Beatles.
4. "Love Me Do" hit what number in the charts?
5. Whom does George Martin refer to as his fairy godfather?
(a) Sidney Harrison.
(b) George Harrison.
(c) Oscar Preuss.
(d) Eric Harrison.
6. Who created the Beatles' early image, featuring their famous haircuts?
(a) Sid Coleman.
(b) George Martin.
(c) Pete Best.
(d) Brian Epstein.
7. While in the Fleet Air Arm, George Martin was invited to appear on which BBC program?
(a) "Army Marches".
(b) "Benny Hill Show".
(c) "Top of the Pops".
(d) "Navy Mixture".
8. In 1977, how did Paul McCartney compensate for sound differences when performing "Live and Let Die" in concert?
(a) He compensated for less orchestration by adding more guitars and drums.
(b) He lip-synched to a recording of the song.
(c) He encouraged the audience to sing along.
(d) He compensated for less orchestration by adding lasers and explosions.
9. What was the scandal at EMI, involving sopranos Kirsten Flagstad and Elisabeth Schwarzkopf?
(a) Flagstad recorded songs that were released under the Schwarzkopf name.
(b) Schwarzkopf had throat trouble during a recording session, and Flagstad was secretly brought in to dub in the high C note for her.
(c) The two had a secret affair.
(d) Flagstad had throat trouble during a recording session, and Schwarzkopf was secretly brought in to dub in the high C note for her.
10. What was the name of George Martin's first band?
(a) The Beatles.
(b) The Quavers.
(c) The Four Tune Tellers.
(d) The Waverleys.
11. According to George Martin in Chapter 2, what was the great challenge faced by classical composers in the late twentieth century?
(a) Not being influenced by pop music.
(b) Making a living.
(c) They must create a new sound, or else risk being categorized by the style they emulate.
(d) Finding enough talented musicians to form an orchestra.
12. What is a common mistake made by producers and musicians alike, according to George Martin in Chapter 4?
(a) Over-orchestrating their songs.
(b) Not copyrighting their material.
(c) Not protecting their ears from damage.
(d) Recording at too high a volume for standard record players in the 60s and 70s.
13. How long after the wedding of George Martin and Sheena, did his mother pass away?
(a) Three years.
(b) One year.
(c) One week.
(d) Three weeks.
14. What is the mathematical relationship between middle A, the octave above middle A, and the octave below middle A on a standard piano?
(a) The notes vibrate respectively at 440, 880, and 1600 hertz.
(b) The notes vibrate respectively at 220, 440, and 880 hertz.
(c) The notes vibrate respectively at 440, 880, and 220 hertz.
(d) The notes vibrate respectively at 220, 440, and 110 hertz.
15. After attending a concert, George Martin met Eric Harrison, a musician who played which instrument?
Short Answer Questions
1. As explained in Chapter 4, what is the normal range of hearing for humans?
2. The Beatles first signed with which publisher in America?
3. Who was the sidekick of Jakka the space-boy, a comedic character recorded by George Martin?
4. In Chapter 7, George Martin reflects that what decision cost him millions of pounds?
5. In Chapter 1, which two songs did George Martin want the Beatles to record in a foreign language?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)