|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 12-15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, George Martin mentioned his membership in what dramatic group?
(a) The Cavern.
(b) The Four Tune Tellers.
(c) The Waverleys.
(d) The Quavers.
2. In the recording studio, what is the function of the compressor?
(a) Providing quiet heating and cooling to the studio.
(b) Allowing the use of a smaller studio.
(c) Protecting the hearing of musicians and engineers.
(d) Lowering the volume of the loudest sounds and enhancing the quietest sounds.
3. What problem was discovered at AIR, while Laurence Olivier was recording "Julius Caesar"?
(a) Overly sensitive microphones.
(b) Poor air circulation.
(c) A squeaky floorboard.
(d) The walls weren't soundproof.
4. George Martin states that pop music is not a step down from classical, for what reason?
(a) Pop music generates much more revenue than classical.
(b) Pop music attracts larger audiences than classical.
(c) Schubert and Beethoven wrote for the masses, creating pop music for their times.
(d) Classical music is formulaic, while pop music is freeform.
5. What was the first difference George Martin noticed at Capitol Studios in America, as compared to Abbey Road, as described in Chapter 8?
(a) Capitol had better compressors.
(b) Capitol had no compressors.
(c) The monitor level in the Capitol control room was much lower than at Abbey Road.
(d) The monitor level in the Capitol control room was much louder than at Abbey Road.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did George Martin ultimately agree, in 1976, to score the "Sergeant Pepper" film featuring the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton?
2. What did George Martin predict would happen soon after publication of "All You Need Is Ears", regarding holography?
3. In what year did George Martin receive the Britannia Award for being the top British record producer of the past twenty-five years?
4. Which Beatles song was the first to feature other musicians, in addition to the four Beatles and George Martin?
5. Where did George Martin build his second AIR studio?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)