|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pham do before loosing consciousness?
2. To what does Steel have a natural aversion?
3. What does Johanna find upsetting about the Tines' behavior in the wild?
4. When are the 152 ships pursuing Pham due?
5. Why does Pham power up his weapons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book is more of a character-driven plot rather than action-driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character-driven or action-driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character-driven versus action-driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not?
5. What type of plot do you think A Fire Upon the Deep is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of A Fire upon the Deep, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur such as exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement. Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements. Subplots may not contain every element of a major plot. Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not? Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
A Fire upon the Deep is written in the genre of science fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What sets science fiction apart from other genres? What are the characteristics of the genre of science fiction?
2. Based upon the characteristics you list in 1 above, discuss why A Fire upon the Deep falls under the genre of science fiction.
3. Some people might say that science fiction is merely for entertainment? Do you agree or not? Explain.
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)