|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vendacious reveal to Johanna about Jefri?
2. Why does Vendacious lead Woodcarver's army through such rugged land?
3. What does Scrupilo warn Woodcarver about Steel?
4. How does the gray fungus examine a puppy's brain?
5. Who does Ravna think created the Riders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book is more of a character-driven plot rather than action-driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character-driven or action-driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character-driven versus action-driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not?
5. What type of plot do you think A Fire Upon the Deep is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
In order to understand the action in A Fire upon the Deep, it is helpful to understand the layout of the universe which exists five billion years hence. Discuss the following:
1. Describe the various layers of the universe and how each one functions. Which ones are welcoming to technology? In which ones can most technology not exist? Where does Earth fall in these layers?
2. In the Epilog, Peregrine says he believes they will one day travel in space, especially now with the "two-legs" technology and knowledge. Do you think space travel will be a good thing for this planet to aspire to? Why or why not? Given where this planet is positioned within the beyond, can they develop space travel? At what speed will they be able to travel?
3. Do you think it is possible that space will change as much as it has in A Fire upon the Deep given 5 billion years? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 10, when "Scarbutt," the individual that killed Dad, offers water, Johanna without planning attacks, slamming his head against the hull. She realizes that hurting one, she has hurt them all. Discuss the following:
1. Create an analysis of exactly how a pack is organized and functions.
2. Where do the inhabitants of the Tine's world originally come from and what were they in their native world? Is it likely they could have evolved to the point where they are in A Fire under the Deep? Why or why not. Remember to consider how long they have been on this world. This could be perhaps as long as 5 billion years. Do you think they could have evolved even further along than where they are evolutionally?
3. Give a description of how you think humans might have evolved in 5 billion years. Explain your description and why you come up with it.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)