|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chitiratte wait impatiently to signal?
2. Why does Pham order a landing?
3. For what does Jefri send?
4. What does Greenstalk say must be repaired soon?
5. Who takes over control of the fighting from Scrupilo?
Essay Topic 1
Scriber describes the Olnsdot's cargo ship as a "flying house." Humans tend to learn about or relate to new things through an association with something they already know. Discuss the following:
1. Describe and analyze some of the descriptions the pack gives the new things and people, Jefri and Johanna, and show how their descriptions are related to what they already know.
2. While reading A Fire under the Deep, it is likely that you also relate new concepts and objects to what is already familiar to you. Choose 5 new objects or concepts and write about how they are similar to something already in your experience. Does this help or hinder your understanding of the new concept or object?
3. What do you think might be the pitfalls of relating new experiences in terms of previous experiences?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 10, when "Scarbutt," the individual that killed Dad, offers water, Johanna without planning attacks, slamming his head against the hull. She realizes that hurting one, she has hurt them all. Discuss the following:
1. Create an analysis of exactly how a pack is organized and functions.
2. Where do the inhabitants of the Tine's world originally come from and what were they in their native world? Is it likely they could have evolved to the point where they are in A Fire under the Deep? Why or why not. Remember to consider how long they have been on this world. This could be perhaps as long as 5 billion years. Do you think they could have evolved even further along than where they are evolutionally?
3. Give a description of how you think humans might have evolved in 5 billion years. Explain your description and why you come up with it.
Essay Topic 3
Steel admires the workmanship of the unburned coffins where the children are in suspended animation, but he recoils at the thought that the pups in suspended animation could mature and destroy his world--and that other ships might follow. Discuss the following:
1. Does Steel have legitimate concerns about the possible problems a ship from space could bring?
2. Is attacking the occupants of the ship the wisest course? What other actions might Steel have taken instead of attack? Would one of them have been more advisable?
3. How do you think Steel might have fared in the long run had he made friends with the Olnsdots rather than killing them?
4. Why does Steel leave Jefri alive? Is there any compassion at all to his decision?
This section contains 3,019 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)