|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the gray fungus examine a puppy's brain?
2. Who does Steel threaten to kill?
3. What is Steel happy about concerning the radio cloaks?
4. Why does Vendacious lead Woodcarver's army through such rugged land?
5. What does Woodcarver's route do for the march?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A Fire upon the Deep is written in the genre of science fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What sets science fiction apart from other genres? What are the characteristics of the genre of science fiction?
2. Based upon the characteristics you list in 1 above, discuss why A Fire upon the Deep falls under the genre of science fiction.
3. Some people might say that science fiction is merely for entertainment? Do you agree or not? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In A Fire upon the Deep, it is hard to know who is the "good" guy versus the "bad" guy. Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups, factions, or individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout A Fire Upon the Deep. How far into the book does it take to separate the untrustworthy from those who can be trusted?
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout A Fire Upon the Deep.
3. Are there some characters who can be trustworthy at times and not trustworthy at other times? Who? Why do they vacillate?
4. Ravna seems to be much more trusting than Pham. Do you think Ravna is too trusting? Is Pham too suspicious? Who does Pham mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
In order to understand the action in A Fire upon the Deep, it is helpful to understand the layout of the universe which exists five billion years hence. Discuss the following:
1. Describe the various layers of the universe and how each one functions. Which ones are welcoming to technology? In which ones can most technology not exist? Where does Earth fall in these layers?
2. In the Epilog, Peregrine says he believes they will one day travel in space, especially now with the "two-legs" technology and knowledge. Do you think space travel will be a good thing for this planet to aspire to? Why or why not? Given where this planet is positioned within the beyond, can they develop space travel? At what speed will they be able to travel?
3. Do you think it is possible that space will change as much as it has in A Fire upon the Deep given 5 billion years? Why or why not?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)