|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does OOB decide to go?
2. Who prepares to eradicate all humans?
3. What are Riders through their skrodes?
4. When are the 152 ships pursuing Pham due?
5. What does Steel order ignited?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in A Fire Upon the Deep. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of genocide in A Fire Upon the Deep. Which characters seem to accept that genocide is sometimes necessary? Why? Which characters seem opposed to genocide no matter what? Why? Which ones seem not to care one way or the other?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. Death happens on a scale that is almost incomprehensible with billions of sentient beings being wiped out of existence. Does this inure a reader to the impact of death? When death is brought to a more individual level, such as in the world where the Olnsdots land, does it have a greater impact? How do the Tines' civilization seem to view death? What is different about the death of some of the Tine's packs? Do you think the way the Tines live in packs makes death easier or more difficult to bear?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by this book. Questions that most likely Vinge wanted the readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the author's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Vinge's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Johanna Olnsdot to her brother, Jefri. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think their differences are mainly due to their age differences? Compare how each initially react to the sentient beings of the planet where they land.
2. Compare/contrast Queen Woodcarver to Lord Steel. How are they alike? How are they different? How do their "world views" differ? Who is the better leader/ruler? Under which one would you rather live?
3. Compare/contrast Ravna to Pham. How are they alike? How are they different? Who is more likeable? Approachable? Compassionate? Intellectual?
4. Compare/contrast Greenstalk to Blueshell. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they more alike than they are different? Why or why not? Are either or both trustworthy? Are they likeable? How do they differ from other sentient beings introduced in the novel?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)