|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Pham after the Old One's death?
2. How does Ravna wish she could learn more about the Slowness?
3. What does Johanna notice about her captors?
4. What does Johanna call her captives?
5. How does Steel create packs free of memory or soul and subject to total control from the beginning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Scriber's assassination.
2. What does Steel do in the dungeons?
3. Describe Ravna Bergsndot.
4. What are some of the arguments about the Blight on the net?
5. What the Arbitration Arts Corporation communicate in various posts about a new Power?
6. What is the aftermath of the fight at Saint Rihndell's Repair Harbor?
7. Who does Pham contact and what happens?
8. Describe Johanna.
9. How do packs communicate and how is this related to the fact they believe Johanna is dead when she faints?
10. What does Pham learn while the OOB is headed for repairs and how does Ravna react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Johanna Olnsdot to her brother, Jefri. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think their differences are mainly due to their age differences? Compare how each initially react to the sentient beings of the planet where they land.
2. Compare/contrast Queen Woodcarver to Lord Steel. How are they alike? How are they different? How do their "world views" differ? Who is the better leader/ruler? Under which one would you rather live?
3. Compare/contrast Ravna to Pham. How are they alike? How are they different? Who is more likeable? Approachable? Compassionate? Intellectual?
4. Compare/contrast Greenstalk to Blueshell. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they more alike than they are different? Why or why not? Are either or both trustworthy? Are they likeable? How do they differ from other sentient beings introduced in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
A Fire upon the Deep is written in the genre of science fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What sets science fiction apart from other genres? What are the characteristics of the genre of science fiction?
2. Based upon the characteristics you list in 1 above, discuss why A Fire upon the Deep falls under the genre of science fiction.
3. Some people might say that science fiction is merely for entertainment? Do you agree or not? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Steel admires the workmanship of the unburned coffins where the children are in suspended animation, but he recoils at the thought that the pups in suspended animation could mature and destroy his world--and that other ships might follow. Discuss the following:
1. Does Steel have legitimate concerns about the possible problems a ship from space could bring?
2. Is attacking the occupants of the ship the wisest course? What other actions might Steel have taken instead of attack? Would one of them have been more advisable?
3. How do you think Steel might have fared in the long run had he made friends with the Olnsdots rather than killing them?
4. Why does Steel leave Jefri alive? Is there any compassion at all to his decision?
This section contains 3,947 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)