|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Johanna sail?
2. How is Crupilo injured?
3. What could steal the secrets the Straumli archeologists uncover?
4. How many stars does the planet the archeologists explore have?
5. From what is Pham recovering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What the Arbitration Arts Corporation communicate in various posts about a new Power?
2. Describe Arne and Sjane Olsndot and what happens to them.
3. How does Pham stop the Blight and what happens to him?
4. Describe briefly what what narration says about the organization of Tines.
5. How is Johanna faring in the Woodcarver's domain?
6. What does Pham learn while the OOB is headed for repairs and how does Ravna react?
7. What do Peregrine Wickwrackrum and Scriber Jaqueramaphan observe and how do they describe the Olsndot's ship?
8. Describe Peregrine Wickwrackrum / Wickwrackscar.
9. What do Pham and Ravna think is behind the ambush by the Riders at Saint Rihndell's Repair Harbor?
10. Describe Scriber's assassination.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A Fire upon the Deep is written in the genre of science fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What sets science fiction apart from other genres? What are the characteristics of the genre of science fiction?
2. Based upon the characteristics you list in 1 above, discuss why A Fire upon the Deep falls under the genre of science fiction.
3. Some people might say that science fiction is merely for entertainment? Do you agree or not? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Steel admires the workmanship of the unburned coffins where the children are in suspended animation, but he recoils at the thought that the pups in suspended animation could mature and destroy his world--and that other ships might follow. Discuss the following:
1. Does Steel have legitimate concerns about the possible problems a ship from space could bring?
2. Is attacking the occupants of the ship the wisest course? What other actions might Steel have taken instead of attack? Would one of them have been more advisable?
3. How do you think Steel might have fared in the long run had he made friends with the Olnsdots rather than killing them?
4. Why does Steel leave Jefri alive? Is there any compassion at all to his decision?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Johanna Olnsdot to her brother, Jefri. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think their differences are mainly due to their age differences? Compare how each initially react to the sentient beings of the planet where they land.
2. Compare/contrast Queen Woodcarver to Lord Steel. How are they alike? How are they different? How do their "world views" differ? Who is the better leader/ruler? Under which one would you rather live?
3. Compare/contrast Ravna to Pham. How are they alike? How are they different? Who is more likeable? Approachable? Compassionate? Intellectual?
4. Compare/contrast Greenstalk to Blueshell. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they more alike than they are different? Why or why not? Are either or both trustworthy? Are they likeable? How do they differ from other sentient beings introduced in the novel?
This section contains 1,515 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)