|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Old One enjoys full bandwidth?
2. What does Steel's best eightsome show?
3. What does Joanna do to Peregrine?
4. What melts the coldsleep boxes?
5. How does Ravna wish she could learn more about the Slowness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pham distrust Steel?
2. Explain what the material in OOB's library says about the origins of Riders.
3. What does Zonograph Eidolon post on the net about the Zone surge?
4. Describe Peregrine Wickwrackrum / Wickwrackscar.
5. Who does Pham contact and what happens?
6. How does Bluestalk demonstrate that he is not in thrall to the Blight?
7. How does Pham occupy his time while the OOB draws closer to the planet where Jefri awaits?
8. Describe Arne and Sjane Olsndot and what happens to them.
9. Describe Lord Steel.
10. Describe the beings that attack the Olsndots.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book is more of a character-driven plot rather than action-driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character-driven or action-driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character-driven versus action-driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not?
5. What type of plot do you think A Fire Upon the Deep is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 10, when "Scarbutt," the individual that killed Dad, offers water, Johanna without planning attacks, slamming his head against the hull. She realizes that hurting one, she has hurt them all. Discuss the following:
1. Create an analysis of exactly how a pack is organized and functions.
2. Where do the inhabitants of the Tine's world originally come from and what were they in their native world? Is it likely they could have evolved to the point where they are in A Fire under the Deep? Why or why not. Remember to consider how long they have been on this world. This could be perhaps as long as 5 billion years. Do you think they could have evolved even further along than where they are evolutionally?
3. Give a description of how you think humans might have evolved in 5 billion years. Explain your description and why you come up with it.
Essay Topic 3
A Fire upon the Deep is written in the genre of science fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What sets science fiction apart from other genres? What are the characteristics of the genre of science fiction?
2. Based upon the characteristics you list in 1 above, discuss why A Fire upon the Deep falls under the genre of science fiction.
3. Some people might say that science fiction is merely for entertainment? Do you agree or not? Explain.
This section contains 1,473 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)