|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Steel enter the ship?
2. Which fragment escapes the butchering of Scriber?
3. Where are Blueshell and Greenstalk sent?
4. What does Johanna notice about her captors?
5. What would the Straumli archeologists sell when they were done?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the technology like that the humans in the lab are developing and what happens?
2. How do packs communicate and how is this related to the fact they believe Johanna is dead when she faints?
3. What is happening on the OOB as it enters the Middle of the Beyond?
4. What is Lord Steel dealing with as Woodcarver's forces advance?
5. How does Pham occupy his time while the OOB draws closer to the planet where Jefri awaits?
6. Describe Scriber's assassination.
7. What happens that Blueshell likens to a tsunami?
8. How do Peregrine and Scriber describe the humans?
9. Who does Pham contact and what happens?
10. Explain what the material in OOB's library says about the origins of Riders.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 12, One pack approaches submissively, gives its unintelligible name, asks hers, and invites her to play the naming game. Johanna's life is about to change as she accepts her fate. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Johanna accepting her fate is wise? Should she continue trying to get free? Why or why not?
2. How much impact do you think Johanna's change in behavior has on Queen Woodcarver's welcome of Ravna and the other awakened children? Do you think Woodcarver would have allowed Ravna and the other children freedom had Johanna continued her hostility?
3. Is it disloyal of Johanna to accept her fate and start bonding with the packs of Woodcarver's domain? Why or why not? What do you think her parents would have advised her to do?
Essay Topic 2
Steel admires the workmanship of the unburned coffins where the children are in suspended animation, but he recoils at the thought that the pups in suspended animation could mature and destroy his world--and that other ships might follow. Discuss the following:
1. Does Steel have legitimate concerns about the possible problems a ship from space could bring?
2. Is attacking the occupants of the ship the wisest course? What other actions might Steel have taken instead of attack? Would one of them have been more advisable?
3. How do you think Steel might have fared in the long run had he made friends with the Olnsdots rather than killing them?
4. Why does Steel leave Jefri alive? Is there any compassion at all to his decision?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Johanna Olnsdot to her brother, Jefri. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think their differences are mainly due to their age differences? Compare how each initially react to the sentient beings of the planet where they land.
2. Compare/contrast Queen Woodcarver to Lord Steel. How are they alike? How are they different? How do their "world views" differ? Who is the better leader/ruler? Under which one would you rather live?
3. Compare/contrast Ravna to Pham. How are they alike? How are they different? Who is more likeable? Approachable? Compassionate? Intellectual?
4. Compare/contrast Greenstalk to Blueshell. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they more alike than they are different? Why or why not? Are either or both trustworthy? Are they likeable? How do they differ from other sentient beings introduced in the novel?
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)