|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of welcome do Peregrine and Scriber receive?
2. Who is Arne Olsndot?
3. What does Grondr tell Ravna?
4. Where are the archeologists from?
5. Who emerges from the cargo shell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the curse of the Pharoah's tomb related to what the humans from the Straumli Realm are doing on Earth?
2. What happens that Blueshell likens to a tsunami?
3. What is the aftermath of the fight at Saint Rihndell's Repair Harbor?
4. Why is Scriber depressed?
5. What is happening in the Hidden Island Kingdom as OOB is making its way to rescue Jefri? What does Pham suspect about the radio request from Jefri?
6. About what is Tyrathect concerned and can she do anything about it?
7. Describe the High Council meeting Johanna attends and what happens to Woodcarver during the meeting.
8. Describe the beings that attack the Olsndots.
9. Describe Johanna.
10. Why is the trip to rescue Jefri going to take longer and what does Ravna do to help Jefri because of the longer time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In A Fire upon the Deep, it is hard to know who is the "good" guy versus the "bad" guy. Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups, factions, or individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout A Fire Upon the Deep. How far into the book does it take to separate the untrustworthy from those who can be trusted?
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout A Fire Upon the Deep.
3. Are there some characters who can be trustworthy at times and not trustworthy at other times? Who? Why do they vacillate?
4. Ravna seems to be much more trusting than Pham. Do you think Ravna is too trusting? Is Pham too suspicious? Who does Pham mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Johanna Olnsdot to her brother, Jefri. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think their differences are mainly due to their age differences? Compare how each initially react to the sentient beings of the planet where they land.
2. Compare/contrast Queen Woodcarver to Lord Steel. How are they alike? How are they different? How do their "world views" differ? Who is the better leader/ruler? Under which one would you rather live?
3. Compare/contrast Ravna to Pham. How are they alike? How are they different? Who is more likeable? Approachable? Compassionate? Intellectual?
4. Compare/contrast Greenstalk to Blueshell. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they more alike than they are different? Why or why not? Are either or both trustworthy? Are they likeable? How do they differ from other sentient beings introduced in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 15, Steel tours his dungeons, where the "raw material" is driven crazy to serve as the basis "blank packs." The dungeon is described in horrifying detail and contrasted with Woodcarver's processes aimed at the same goal, but bounded by "traditional ethics." Discuss the following:
1. Though Steel's methods are more horrific than Woodcarver's, their end goal is the same. Is this goal ethical? Why or why not?
2. Do you think what Steel and Woodcarver are attempting to do is moving the evolution of the Tines forward? Why or why not?
3. What do you think Steel and Woodcarver want in creating blank packs? Are there other ways of obtaining the same end without dubious means?
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)