|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Hardcastle say the neighbors bring back from their trips to town?
(a) Useless furniture and ugly paintings.
(b) Things for which they have no use.
(c) Bills and bad dispositions.
(d) Vanity and affectation.
2. Before offering to give directions to Marlow and Hastings, what does Tony want to know?
(a) If they have an invitation to the Hardcastle mansion.
(b) If they have servants traveling with them.
(c) If they know where they are and how they got there.
(d) If they need to see Hardcastle right away.
3. What joke does Tony play on Hastings and Marlow?.
(a) He puts something in their ale that will put them to sleep.
(b) He sends someone out to loosen the reins on their horses.
(c) He gives them directions to Hardcastle's house but tells them it is an inn.
(d) He tells them that Hardcastle and his daughter have gone to Paris.
4. What comment does Mr. Hardcastle make to his daughter, Kate, seeing her dressed in the latest fashion.
(a) What is wrong with the simple country dress?
(b) There's enough silk in that gown to make two.
(c) Have you turned to be like Mrs. Hardcastle?
(d) The indigent world could be clothed out of the trimmings of the vain.
5. When Marlow and Hastings enter the Three Pigeons, Marlow is complaining about the distance they came. What does Hastings say?
(a) It was because he forgot his top hat and had to go back for it.
(b) It was because they had no roadmap to the Hardcastle estate.
(c) It was because a wheel broke on the carriage and they had to haul it to London.
(d) It was because he would not stop and ask directions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony tell Marlow and Hastings about the owner of the inn?
2. Who does Constance say Marlow is?
3. When Mrs. Hardcastle tries to get Tony to say home one night, where is he planning to go?
4. Giving up on following Tony's directions, what does Marlow do?
5. What is Mrs. Hardcastle's complaint with her husband?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)