|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of reception does Hornblower receive when he arrives at the Chateau de Graçay?
2. Instead of returning to England, what does Hornblower decide to do while in Nevers?
3. How does Napoleon respond to the Comte and his followers?
4. What does the local magistrate tell the Comte after he is captured by Napoleon's troops?
5. What does Hornblower plan to do about Napoleon's show of force?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the reasons that Hornblower doesn't return immediately to England?
2. What does the Mayor of Le Havre do when he meets Hornblower? Why is this significant?
3. What does Hornblower have the English troops do at the end of the Mayor Momas' ceremony, and why is this significant?
4. How does Hornblower react to Barbara's presence?
5. How does Hornblower ruin the evening for his wife at the Duke's banquet and reception? Why is this significant?
6. What does Hornblower come to realize about his wife and himself?
7. How does C. S. Forester show that the English admire and think well of Hornblower and his actions? What does this show us about Hornblower?
8. Two important historical events follow soon after Hornblower's capture of Rouen. What are they? Why are they significant?
9. How are Hornblower and the Comte saved from execution?
10. What does Hornblower plan to do with the militia sent to bolster Le Havre's defenses? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A number of characters die in this book, including Hornblower's mistress and his best friend. Why do you think C. S. Forester kills off these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the typical conditions on a British ship of the line as experienced by a seaman and an officer. Why are things so different? How much of this can be attributed to class inequality?
Essay Topic 3
As a character, Hornblower is all about duty and honor. Given that he cheats on his wife, do you think Hornblower is still an honorable man? Why? Why not? Is this in line with societal norms?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)