|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Rousseau feel men treated morality before art?
(a) Men had a rude but natural morality.
(b) Men ignored it.
(c) With passion.
(d) Men were ignorant to it.
2. How does Rousseau believe men should feel at the state of leaving ignorance?
3. Slavery makes people tend to be what according to "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I"?
4. According to Rousseau, what led to the degeneration of society?
(a) The progress of talent.
(b) The establishment of beauty.
(c) The establishment of talent.
(d) The progress of art.
5. Mankind's new period of reason is a transition from what age according to Rousseau?
(a) America's industrialism.
(b) Europe's fall of empire.
(c) Rome's fall of empire.
(d) Europe's barbarism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rousseau's "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I" discuss about the correlation between the restoration of the arts and sciences and morality?
2. What does Rousseau write was required in order to reach a new period of reason?
3. What was the state of France, according to Rousseau, as a result of the introduction of the arts and sciences?
4. What should mans' response to the effects of art and science on society be, as described by Rousseau?
5. According to Rousseau, which of the following did not arise as a result of leaving a state of ignorance?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)