|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which class did Whittington's dissenter say Aysehaia should be in?
2. What does Opabinia need?
3. What happened after Whittington published his monograph on Naraoia?
4. What is the third stage of the fauna?
5. How did Gould come to understand the Burgess Shale?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't the discovery of the Burgess Shale and its consequent new shift in perspective a gradual change?
2. Why did classifying Naraoia pose a problem for Whittington?
3. What is uniquely special about the discovery of Sanctacaris?
4. How did Aysehaia contribute to the Burgess Drama?
5. Why does Gould deplore the prevention of Des Collins excavation of Walcot's quarry?
6. How did Naraoia contribute to the Burgess Drama?
7. What did Collins do when faced with the prevention of Des Collins excavation of Walcott's quarry?
8. What new species does the fourth act concentrate on?
9. Describe Wiwaxia.
10. What did Leanchoilica look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 4, there is a drama concerning trilobites, Whittington and Naraoia. Explain the relationship between the three by citing three examples from the book as evidence. In addition, answer the following questions. What is the history of their relationship? How does the book conclude the discussion of their relationship and how is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
In Act 1, Whittington begins to observe Yohoia. Answer the following question: Should Whittington's observations of Marrella have affected his approach to Yohoia? Use one of your own supporting ideas to back up your statement, and at least two examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 2 focuses on the myth of the laboratory and of field work. What does Gould have to say about the myths behind these work stations? Discuss three examples that explain how Gould presents these working stations as mythic. Also, determine the similarities and differences between laboratory and field work.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)