|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Burgess Shale represent that occurred 570 million years ago?
(a) The "Prezoaic Explosion."
(b) The "Anthropological Explosion."
(c) The "Cambrian Explosion."
(d) The "Precambrian Explosion."
2. Which creatures are representative of these four classes that survived the first great extinction?
(a) Eurypterid, mollusk, sea cucumbers.
(b) Dragonfly, crabs, and trilobites.
(c) Snails, crabs and dragonflies.
(d) Dragonfly, a fossil eurypterid, a crab and a trilobite
3. What is the Burgess Shale?
(a) The smallest collection of fossils ever discovered.
(b) The largest collection of fossils ever discovered.
(c) A territory of British Columbia.
(d) The Canadian Rockies.
4. What is so strange about Opabinia that paleontologists found it unbelievable?
(a) The function.
(b) The proboscis.
(c) The structure.
(d) The diagnosis.
5. What does Gould's new interpretation emphasize about human evolution?
(a) It has no single order.
(b) It has a single order.
(c) It has two orders.
(d) It has five orders.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Walcott group the Burgess arthropods among the arthropod phylum?
2. What do the levels range from in the taxonomy of life?
3. What kinds of versions does the story of the Burgess Shale's discovery have?
4. How did the Burgess Shale's mysteries become apparent?
5. What does Gould strain to emphasize for his audience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the definition of decimation in the relation to the evolution of life?
2. Why did Gould write this book as an homage to the Burgess Shale?
3. What evidence favors Opabinia's uniqueness?
4. What did Leif Størmer's "Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology" describe?
5. What is the boundary between the Paleozoic and Mesozoic eras famous?
6. What are Marrella and Yohoia in terms of evolution?
7. What did Leif Størmer decide to do in contrast to Walcott?
8. What sorts of new procedures did Whittington's team use?
9. Why is the Burgess Shale acknowledged as the most significant collection of fossils yet discovered?
10. How is the Precambrian Era defined?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)