|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years did Whittington spend on his 1979 monograph?
(a) One year.
(b) Four and a half years.
(c) Five and a half years.
(d) Six months.
2. What bizarre features does Opabinia possess?
(a) Twenty limbs.
(b) Eight noses and four eyes.
(c) Frontal nozzle and five eyes.
(d) No nose and three eyes.
3. What could Whittington not figure out to do about Marrella?
(a) Which two classes to classify it in.
(b) Which existing phyla to classify it in.
(c) Which class it did not belong to.
(d) Which class to make up.
4. What kind of lessons does Stephen Jay Gould draw from how the Burgess Shale was first interpreted?
(a) Conservative and biological lessons.
(b) Methodological and philosophical lessons.
(c) Religious and traditional lessons.
(d) Medieval and historical lessons.
5. What was Whittington armed with that helped him review the claim that Opabinia was an arthropod?
(a) New fossils.
(b) Old instructional manuals.
(c) New techniques.
(d) New tossils.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comprises the first 4 billion years of Earth's history?
2. What is one of the first tasks of the paleontologist after producing a clear specimen?
3. What types did Whittingdon use to classify the new species?
4. Where is the Burgess Shale?
5. What is the most common organism among the Burgess Shale fossils?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the definition of decimation in the relation to the evolution of life?
2. What did people think Opabinia was and what did Whittington choose to believe about this idea?
3. Why do paleontologists find Opabinia unbelievable and fascinating?
4. How is the Precambrian Era defined?
5. Name four levels of the taxonomy of life.
6. Why are the Burgess Shale's arthropod designs odd?
7. How is the "Cambrian explosion" defined?
8. What is the first chapter of "Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History" about?
9. What did using these new methods allow Whittington's team to do?
10. What evidence favors Opabinia's uniqueness?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)