|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of relationship does Gould say Oxford advisers have with their students?
(a) A premature relationship.
(b) A strong relationship.
(c) Little to no relationship.
(d) A mature relationship.
2. What do Oxford advisers not spend much of their time on, according to Gould?
(a) Philosophers' work.
(b) Paleontologists' work.
(c) Parents' work.
(d) Students' work.
3. What is the problem with the Burgess Shale in relation to many of the similarities and distinctions?
(a) Few are unknown and there are so many different classifications.
(b) Many are unknown and this makes classification difficult.
(c) Only two are known and there are no classifications to put them in.
(d) The classification system needs a complete overview.
4. What does Gould say represents the Burgess message?
5. What kind of similarities and differences must scientists attend to?
(c) Fair to middling.
6. When did prokaryotic cells exist?
(a) At 6.7 billion years.
(b) At 3.7 billion years.
(c) At 3.5 billion years.
(d) At 3.5 million years.
7. What must evolutionary biologists specify concerning similarities and differences?
(a) Vertebrate types.
(b) Types and sub-types.
(c) Six types.
(d) Invertebrate types.
8. Where did Collins find another dig site?
(a) On the other side of the mountains.
(b) In Alaska.
(c) Five miles south of the original quarry.
(d) Five miles north of the original quarry.
9. Why is the Burgess Shale such an amazing find?
(a) It contains five thousand creatures.
(b) It contains hard-bodied creatures.
(c) It contains soft-bodied creatures.
(d) It contains no creatures.
10. Who dissented with Whittington about Aysehaia?
(a) Mary Whittington.
(c) Des Collins.
11. Which team member has Gould largely ignored at this point?
(a) Simon Morris.
(b) Simon Conway.
(c) Derek Briggs.
(d) General Briggs.
12. How many acts does the Burgess Drama have?
13. What did Gould say the next generation must do with the Burgess Shale?
(a) Work on it with old techniques and forms of analysis.
(b) Work on it with new techniques and forms of paradigms.
(c) Work on it with new techniques and forms of analysis.
(d) Fix it with revised techniques and forms of analysis.
14. What adjectives describe Morris?
(a) Radical, immature.
(b) Antisocial, benevolent, gracious.
(c) Gracious, young, compassionate.
(d) Young, radical, antisocial.
15. What did the dissenter believe should happen to Aysehaia?
(a) It should jump two classes.
(b) It should not exist.
(c) It should spread to the lower classes.
(d) It should be retained in a known class.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can scientists describe the structure of evolutionary inference?
2. How many general Burgess revisions did we acquire?
3. What is the name of the class of Burgess arthropods?
4. What large crab with an enormous number of spines did Collins publish a monograph on in 1985?
5. What are the two Ps?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)