|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Burgess Shale?
(a) A territory of British Columbia.
(b) The Canadian Rockies.
(c) The smallest collection of fossils ever discovered.
(d) The largest collection of fossils ever discovered.
2. What part did Whittington dissect of Opabinia?
(a) The legs.
(b) The carapace.
(c) The head.
(d) The arms.
3. How does Walcott group the Burgess arthropods among the arthropod phylum?
4. Where is the Burgess Shale?
(a) The Canadian Rockies.
(b) The Appalachian Mountains.
(c) Mt. Everest.
5. What kind of paradigm does Gould believe has not been communicated to the public?
(a) A provoking platonic paradigm.
(b) A leftover historical paradigm.
(c) A new research paradigm.
(d) A controversial conservative paradigm.
6. After publishing his first monograph, which two graduate students did Whittington employ?
(a) Barry Moser and Simeon Martin.
(b) Jeremy Morris and Derek Briggs.
(c) Simon Conway Morris and Derek Briggs.
(d) Briggs Morris and Simon Conway.
7. What pushed Whittington beyond the idea he struggled under?
8. In what fashion was the Burgess Shale actually discovered?
(a) A more mundane fashion.
(b) A sympathetic fashion.
(c) A reasonable fashion.
(d) A respectable fashion.
9. What association does Gould make with progress and evolution?
(a) Evolution is progress.
(b) Evolution doesn't always involve progress.
(c) Evolution is scattered progress.
(d) Evolution always involves progress.
10. What was Yohoia specialized for?
(a) An environment.
(b) A kingdom.
(c) A habitat.
(d) A species.
11. How much of all marine life died during the greatest extinction in history?
12. Of Whittington's team, who was more methodologically conservative?
(a) Derek Briggs.
(c) Simeon Martin.
(d) Conway Morris.
13. What kind of development were the Burgess animals first interpreted to have?
(a) Quick, rash development.
(b) Regressing development.
(c) Gradual, progressive development.
(d) Unchanging development.
14. Where was Opabinia quoted to belong?
(a) Among the crustaceans.
(b) Nowhere among the known animals.
(c) With the arthropods.
(d) In the third genus.
15. What could Whittington not classify Marella with?
(a) Any known group of arthropods.
(b) Any taxonomic genus.
(c) Any known group of vertebrates.
(d) Any species or phyla.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Precambrian Era contain?
2. How does Leif Størmer spread the Burgess arthropods among the groups in the arthropod phylum?
3. Who proposes to use the Burgess Shale to illustrate the nature of history?
4. What is the Burgess Shale composed of?
5. The Burgess fauna follow the beginning of what era?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)