|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a system in which descent is traced through the mother and maternal ancestors?
2. What does the author define as an open process with a general goal of righting an injustice as an end-result?
(a) Goal-oriented affirmative action.
(b) Process-oriented affirmative action.
(d) Reverse discrimination.
3. In what year did the Mexican-American War begin?
4. Process-oriented conceptions of affirmative action try to formulate an ideally fair application process that is what?
(a) Racialy biased.
(c) Racially blind.
5. What is the second of five stages that whites pass through in dealing with race, according to the author in Part III, Understanding Whiteness in a White Context, Chapter 6, The Development of White Identity?
6. What is a historical colloquial term in the United States for the social classification as black of individuals with any African ancestry?
(a) One-drop rule.
7. What was a case in which the US Supreme Court affirmed that Alabama's anti-miscegenation statute was constitutional?
(a) Brown v. Board of Education.
(b) Roberts v. Colorado.
(c) Loving v. Virginia.
(d) Pace v. Alabama.
8. What is the fourth of five stages that whites pass through in dealing with race, according to the author in Part III, Understanding Whiteness in a White Context, Chapter 6, The Development of White Identity?
9. What is the prejudicial treatment of an individual based on their membership in a certain group or category?
10. Barack Obama's father is from ___________.
11. What refers to movement of people from one nation-state to another, where they are not citizens?
12. Who form the third-largest Hispanic group in the United States?
(a) Puerto Ricans.
(b) Cuban Americans.
(c) Dominican Americans.
(d) Mexican Americans.
13. What governmental agency is represented by the initials OMB?
(a) Office of Maritme Boating regulations.
(b) Office of Merchants and Bankers.
(c) Office of Military and Building.
(d) Office of Management and Budget.
14. Barack Obama's mother is from __________.
15. The second manifestation of the KKK flourished nationwide in what era?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Part IV, Beyond Black and White, Chapter 9, Identity Development in Multiracial Families, biracial girls tend to stay in what environments?
2. According to the author, attempts to relate one's subculture to a broader culture can produce four reactions: assimilation, withdrawal, biculturalism and what?
3. What is the fifth of five stages that whites pass through in dealing with race, according to the author in Part III, Understanding Whiteness in a White Context, Chapter 6, The Development of White Identity?
4. What was a landmark civil rights case in which the US Supreme Court declared Virginia's "Racial Integrity Act of 1924" unconstitutional?
5. What refers to state and local laws in the United States enacted between 1876 and 1965 that mandated racial segregation in all public facilities?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)