|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the first time this child ever spoke to Mrs. Paley?
2. What ethnicity were the parents of the child mentioned in Chapter 11?
3. Who did Sylvia later become friends with?
4. What did Mrs. Paley do to Sylvia for hitting another student?
5. What did Mrs. Paley wonder about the situation in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the doll corner in Chapter 17.
2. Describe Ayana.
3. Discuss what Claire struggled with and why.
4. How did the other girls treat Sylvia when they played games?
5. How did Kenny behave in class compared to out of class?
6. Describe the father of the student who had nightmares and what he believed was the cause.
7. Describe Anna, the leader of the mutiny from the doll corner.
8. What were the black girls hesitant to discuss in Chapter 21?
9. Describe the announcement made by the little girls at the end of class in Chapter 24.
10. Who does Mrs. Paley feel influences children's opinions most?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the black clique in Chapter 13 is an example of the book's theme of exclusion of whites in a world that excludes blacks.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Mrs. Paley protested for and how it ultimately connected to her desire for her classroom. Explain what Mrs. Paley really wanted to accomplish in her classroom.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Felice's father wanted Mrs. Paley to do and why he believed this would solve his daughter's nightmares. How did Mrs. Paley react to this request made by Felice's father?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)