* Chapters 1-2
* "White Teacher" deals with a teacher, Mrs. Paley, and her experiences while teaching at a time in which American schools were transitioning into an integrated school system.
* She comprised her book from a 5 year period of note taking and observations from her classroom.
* In her book, she hoped to approach the struggles and subjects of dealing with racial differences among her black and white students.
* Another teacher asked Mrs. Paley why she talked so much about the black children, and Mrs. Paley was surprised by this question.
* The other teacher suggested she was less confident in her judgment where these students were concerned.
* As a result, Mrs. Paley began taking notes of her classroom's activities.
* Mrs. Paley decided she would like to teach in an integrated school.
* She moved to Chicago, and her first black student was named Alma Franklin.
* Alma did not talk...
This section contains 1,761 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)