|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The _______ were first known as the sacred women of the temples, though the name changes to being more negative in connotation.
2. The Bible shows Moses being adopted by __________________ and given a name that is a frequent part of royal names.
3. What might happen if a man were to sleep with another woman after having slept with a Goddess?
4. Who is the military hero in the tales of Gilgamesh, as the stories continue?
5. The _________ regard themselves as racially superior to the conquered peoples which helps to explain other texts.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a Pahlavi text depict Jeh as? How is Jeh described in this certain text?
2. What kind of romantic relationships does the priestess of the time take on?
3. What does the term 'levirate marriage' refer to within the context of history?
4. What happens to kinds in the time of the Babylonians as they are not killed at their end of their service?
5. What are some of the activities that take place at the temples of the era in which women ruled?
6. What are the names of the three men who all link the Hebrews with Egypt's Indo-European royalty?
7. What do the Aryans consider about themselves, which is something that extends to this day in some groups?
8. Why do the people in the birthplace of Christianity and Judaism worship two different deities? And which deities?
9. What are some of the things the Levites do in order to discredit Ashtoreth?
10. Why does Gilgamesh spurn the proposal of marriage from Ishtar when she asks him to marry her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The symbolism of birth and of giving life is one that is attributed to women and the Goddess figures.
Part 1: Why is the birth symbolism so important to earlier cultures?
Part 2: Why is the idea of a Great Mother so important to people throughout history?
Part 3: If the giving of life is so important, why aren't women given more power as the years go by, as opposed to less?
Essay Topic 2
The role of religion in society has many more facets than are seen at first, according to this book and according to society today.
Part 1: In what ways does religion impact society in the accounts of the past?
Part 2: in what ways does religion impact society today?
Part 3: Should religion impact society? If not, why not? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of God being a woman is one that certainly is a mystery to many people in society. The thought that God as anything but male is challenging to grasp.
Part 1: Why do you think the author is trying to support the idea of God being a woman?
Part 2: Why does God being a woman make sense in relation to the information presented in this manuscript?
Part 3: How do you think the idea of God being a woman might change society, if it is true?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)