|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The _____________ invasions weaken the matrilineal tradition and the Dorians make patrilineal succession normative.
2. At some point, the Goddess acquires a male who becomes her lover or consort, but she retains _____________.
3. What is another name for the Northern Tribes as they are described in this chapter?
4. The Code of _____________ shows that women retain some of their rights as the times begin to change.
5. Neolithic art at Catal Huyuk, Hacilar, and Elam shows the _______ as subsidiary, according to Stone.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the female deity of the time represented as when seem in pictures and in other works of art?
2. What is Eridu said to be the place of when it steps away from the Goddess religions?
3. Describe the battle ax cultures in terms of what their presence was like during their arrival and contact with Goddess-worshiping Middle Easterners.
4. What are the three types of evidence which seem to point out the existence of the Goddess in Upper Paleolithic times?
5. Who is the Goddess Hatti who is found in Hittite literature as being one of the most important figures?
6. What are some of the qualities attributed to the Goddess Isis, as found by Diodorus?
7. Who do women appear as in civil litigation during the times of the Egyptians, according to papyri?
8. Why does brother-sister marriage develop in Egyptian times, according to scholar Dr. Margaret Murray?
9. Since little has survived about the Goddess in Sumerian times, how can one believe the Goddess was important?
10. During the 18th dynasty in Egypt, women's roles are severely changed - what did they change to and from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Stone's research, women in ancient societies used to have more control and power.
Part 1: Why do you think women held more power in earlier times?
Part 2: Why was is beneficial for societies that women held more power and influence?
Part 3: Why do you think women are not as powerful in society anymore? Or are they? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The role of religion in society has many more facets than are seen at first, according to this book and according to society today.
Part 1: In what ways does religion impact society in the accounts of the past?
Part 2: in what ways does religion impact society today?
Part 3: Should religion impact society? If not, why not? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of God being a woman is one that certainly is a mystery to many people in society. The thought that God as anything but male is challenging to grasp.
Part 1: Why do you think the author is trying to support the idea of God being a woman?
Part 2: Why does God being a woman make sense in relation to the information presented in this manuscript?
Part 3: How do you think the idea of God being a woman might change society, if it is true?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)