|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the weaker brother or husband to the Egyptian Goddess Isis?
2. ___________ figures are everywhere: in fire sacrifices, astral bodies, lightning, skin color, and some of the gods - Brahma, Mithra, and Dyaus Pitar.
3. It appears that the critical element is matrilineal descent of name and ___________ rather than women in power.
4. What is the name of the Indo-European group who live directly south of the Hittites in Cicilia?
5. Which Goddess is thought to be the inventor of agriculture, a healer, a physician, and a lawgiver?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Middle East societies look at the Goddess in their ancient times?
2. During the 18th dynasty in Egypt, women's roles are severely changed - what did they change to and from?
3. Describe the battle ax cultures in terms of what their presence was like during their arrival and contact with Goddess-worshiping Middle Easterners.
4. Where does the word, "Hurrian," come from? What is its meaning and its roots?
5. What is the female deity of the time represented as when seem in pictures and in other works of art?
6. Since little has survived about the Goddess in Sumerian times, how can one believe the Goddess was important?
7. What do surviving documents seem to suggest about the writings of priestly scribes during the time of the battle ax warriors?
8. How does Merlin Stone say that society portrays the modern women and her inherent qualities?
9. What do love poems of Egyptian times have to say about the Egyptian woman's role in the courtship with a man?
10. How does the Goddess movement and belief system survive, even though the male deity movement continues to take hold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems that various peoples are trying to create a Master Race to take over all others.
Part 1: Why would a person want their race to be the most important of all?
Part 2: Do you think there can ever be one Master Race? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a group of people tries to convince others their race is the 'best'?
Essay Topic 2
The story of Adam and Eve is one which has been debated and interpreted in numerous ways.
Part 1: What do you think of the story of Adam and Eve? Do you think it's a true story? Why or why not?
Part 2: What does the story of Adam and Eve seem to say about women? Support your answer.
Part 3: If the story of Adam and Eve had been reversed (with Adam eating the apple), what implications might that have had on religion today?
Essay Topic 3
Women were deeply affected, it seems, by the presence of a more matriarchal society and structure.
Part 1: How were women affected by having a matriarchal society?
Part 2: How might women be affected today if the government and all positions of power were to be filled with women?
Part 3: What are the advantages and the disadvantages of a patriarchal society?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)