|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ figures are everywhere: in fire sacrifices, astral bodies, lightning, skin color, and some of the gods - Brahma, Mithra, and Dyaus Pitar.
2. The female must suffer in pain in ____________ because of the fall of Adam and Eve, according to Stone.
3. At some point, the Goddess acquires a male who becomes her lover or consort, but she retains _____________.
4. During her six year reign, Queen Athalia reestablishes __________ which angers the Hebrew priest
5. The _____________ invasions weaken the matrilineal tradition and the Dorians make patrilineal succession normative.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the word, "Hurrian," come from? What is its meaning and its roots?
2. What is the effect the Adam and Eve story has had on the female child, according to the author?
3. Who is the Goddess Hatti who is found in Hittite literature as being one of the most important figures?
4. How does the Goddess movement and belief system survive, even though the male deity movement continues to take hold?
5. Since little has survived about the Goddess in Sumerian times, how can one believe the Goddess was important?
6. Early Sumerian tablets associate the Divine Ancestress with particular towns. What are three of these towns' names?
7. Who is the Goddess Ninhursag, otherwise known as Ninmah?
8. Describe the battle ax cultures in terms of what their presence was like during their arrival and contact with Goddess-worshiping Middle Easterners.
9. What is Eridu said to be the place of when it steps away from the Goddess religions?
10. How does the mythological spouse begin to gain importance in the female-based world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems that various peoples are trying to create a Master Race to take over all others.
Part 1: Why would a person want their race to be the most important of all?
Part 2: Do you think there can ever be one Master Race? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a group of people tries to convince others their race is the 'best'?
Essay Topic 2
Women were deeply affected, it seems, by the presence of a more matriarchal society and structure.
Part 1: How were women affected by having a matriarchal society?
Part 2: How might women be affected today if the government and all positions of power were to be filled with women?
Part 3: What are the advantages and the disadvantages of a patriarchal society?
Essay Topic 3
According to Stone's research, women in ancient societies used to have more control and power.
Part 1: Why do you think women held more power in earlier times?
Part 2: Why was is beneficial for societies that women held more power and influence?
Part 3: Why do you think women are not as powerful in society anymore? Or are they? Support your answer.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)