|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because Egyptian myths are cumulative, both Horus and Osiris can fight Set, but only ___________ dies.
2. When the worship of the Egyptian _________ comes to Rome, sacred women follow the ancient customs there.
3. Who is the wild man of the woods in the story of Gilgamesh who appears and is extravagantly treated?
4. Yahweh is supposedly going to give the Hebrews a _________, but it is revealed by the Levites that this is already populated and fortified.
(a) Sacred space
(d) Promised Land
5. In Anatolia, ____________ declares that once a man has slept with a Goddess, he may never sleep with a woman.
6. Faithful married women face the possibility of losing their husband's ________ and being sent out of his house.
7. Zeus is worshiped on Crete as the son of his mother __________ and in one legend sexually attacks her.
8. The sexual union between the Goddess and the lover who is young enough to be her son is called _____________.
(a) Sacred Marriage
(d) Special Coupling
9. The annual death of the son/lover is connected to the ritual sacrifice of the ____________.
(a) First calf
(c) Consort king
(d) First girl child
10. King ____________ is threatened with the loss of his kingdom for forsaking Yahweh and worshiping Ashtoreth.
11. The _____________ are a priestly caste that hoards sacred hieroglyphs for their own sacred purposes, according to Stone.
12. Who is considered to be the prophet of the tribes and the first prophet of Yahweh?
13. Pagan ways may have entered through King Solomon's 700 woman ________, according to Stone.
14. In Canaan, women have sex with males in the community who come to honor ____________, according to Stone.
(a) The temple
(b) The Universe
(c) The Goddess
(d) The powers of nature
15. The Psalms show Yahweh heaping __________ on the wicked, consuming them with fire, according to Stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Indo-Europeans resent the Cretan legend of the death of Zeus, insisting he is _________.
2. Anath buries _____ and avenges him gruesomely, and then allows him to re-enter the world of the living.
3. The Hebrews retain little knowledge of the battle between ______________ and the serpent Leviathan, though it is preserved in the Psalms.
4. Aryan priests despise _______ and present the story of Noah and the ark as relatives who survived the flood.
5. The Hebrew customer of ____________ marriage whereby a widow is assigned to her brother- or father-in-law.
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)