|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ___________ sacrifices are important to the Levite rites as to the Brahmins, according to Stone.
2. The __________ at the time of Moses were the first to demand virginity until marriage for all women, according to Stone.
3. Anath buries _____ and avenges him gruesomely, and then allows him to re-enter the world of the living.
4. By Babylonian times, kinds are still appointed by _________ but not put to death, according to Stone.
5. Who is the military hero in the tales of Gilgamesh, as the stories continue?
6. The _________ regard themselves as racially superior to the conquered peoples which helps to explain other texts.
7. King ____________ is threatened with the loss of his kingdom for forsaking Yahweh and worshiping Ashtoreth.
8. Who sees a vision of a mysterious figure at the temple fate who tells of 'filthy things' going on inside?
9. The ___________, an incarnation of the Goddess, takes not a permanent husband, but rather annual lovers or consorts.
10. Yahweh may be derived from the Sanskrit meaning ____________, according to some scholars.
11. On the Nile, the king is killed when his health or his __________ fails, according to Stone.
(d) Battle strength
12. ______________ reflects a political ideology in which a single person rules, while _______________ images the communal attitude.
(a) Matriarchy; Patriarchy
(b) Monotheism; Polytheism
(c) Polytheism; Monotheism
(d) Monotheism; Patriarchy
13. Isis and ___________ are still widely worshiped in the Greco-Roman world at the time of the Apostle Paul.
14. After the division of the Hebrew states, Baal, the storm god, assimilates with the Goddess _____________.
15. In an Iranian tale, __________ is warned that people have sinned, so he should build a vara, or fortress to protect civlization.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stone believes women were the first to connect ___________ and reproduction and to integrate the reality into religion.
2. Instead of the king being put to death, he is stripped and humiliated in public during the _____________.
3. Who is Abraham's wife who ends up dying at some point of their marriage and who Abraham buries?
4. The changing of Jacob's name to __________ may suggest they understand their ancestry is symbolic rather than biological.
5. In Anatolia, ____________ declares that once a man has slept with a Goddess, he may never sleep with a woman.
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)