|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Faithful married women face the possibility of losing their husband's ________ and being sent out of his house.
2. Who is the military hero in the tales of Gilgamesh, as the stories continue?
3. What might happen if a man were to sleep with another woman after having slept with a Goddess?
(a) The Goddess would die
(b) The woman would die
(c) The man could die
(d) The Goddess' powers could be transferred to someone else
4. ___________ sacrifices are important to the Levite rites as to the Brahmins, according to Stone.
5. The _____________ are a priestly caste that hoards sacred hieroglyphs for their own sacred purposes, according to Stone.
6. Who sees a vision of a mysterious figure at the temple fate who tells of 'filthy things' going on inside?
7. The Psalms show Yahweh heaping __________ on the wicked, consuming them with fire, according to Stone.
8. Later in the Bible, _______ becomes a term of rebuke, suggesting Abraham or Abraham's wife was Indo-European.
9. in around 1930 BCE, ancient customers justify military conquests and marrying the high priestess legitimizes __________ in the eyes of the people.
10. ______________ reflects a political ideology in which a single person rules, while _______________ images the communal attitude.
(a) Monotheism; Polytheism
(b) Matriarchy; Patriarchy
(c) Polytheism; Monotheism
(d) Monotheism; Patriarchy
11. In 3000 BCE, _________ men are sacrificed at the grave of Osiris as a part of ritual regicide, according to Stone.
12. In an Iranian tale, __________ is warned that people have sinned, so he should build a vara, or fortress to protect civlization.
13. The Hebrews retain little knowledge of the battle between ______________ and the serpent Leviathan, though it is preserved in the Psalms.
14. The Hebrew customer of ____________ marriage whereby a widow is assigned to her brother- or father-in-law.
15. King ____________ is threatened with the loss of his kingdom for forsaking Yahweh and worshiping Ashtoreth.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Anatolia, ____________ declares that once a man has slept with a Goddess, he may never sleep with a woman.
2. After the division of the Hebrew states, Baal, the storm god, assimilates with the Goddess _____________.
3. What is the mountain which is also given the moniker of the mountain of God in the Bible and in other stories?
4. Because Egyptian myths are cumulative, both Horus and Osiris can fight Set, but only ___________ dies.
5. The ___________, an incarnation of the Goddess, takes not a permanent husband, but rather annual lovers or consorts.
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)