|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Canaan, women have sex with males in the community who come to honor ____________, according to Stone.
(a) The Universe
(b) The Goddess
(c) The powers of nature
(d) The temple
2. When Moses is done writing Yahweh's laws, he gives them to the ______ to place in the Ark of the Covenant.
3. Who is considered to be the prophet of the tribes and the first prophet of Yahweh?
4. The _______ were first known as the sacred women of the temples, though the name changes to being more negative in connotation.
5. Who is NOT one of the historical figures who link the Hebrews with Egypt's Indo-European royalty?
6. What is the real name of the Hittite language, adding to the irony of WWII and the rise of Hitler?
7. The _____________ are a priestly caste that hoards sacred hieroglyphs for their own sacred purposes, according to Stone.
8. Who sees a vision of a mysterious figure at the temple fate who tells of 'filthy things' going on inside?
9. Married or betrothed women who are ____________ are killed for being __________.
(b) Cheated on
(c) Sexually open
10. The ___________, an incarnation of the Goddess, takes not a permanent husband, but rather annual lovers or consorts.
11. Who is the military hero in the tales of Gilgamesh, as the stories continue?
12. On the Nile, the king is killed when his health or his __________ fails, according to Stone.
(d) Battle strength
13. Editing of the Hebrew texts takes place over the many centuries, including _______________ by priests.
(a) Jealous censorship
(b) Goddess condemnation
(c) Blatant lies
(d) Jesus stories
14. ___________ are the core of communities, whence not only religious business, but also all urban and rural activities are directed.
15. The annual death of the son/lover is connected to the ritual sacrifice of the ____________.
(b) Consort king
(c) First calf
(d) First girl child
Short Answer Questions
1. The __________ at the time of Moses were the first to demand virginity until marriage for all women, according to Stone.
2. _________ tells Ezekiel to mark the foreheads of men in Jerusalem who commit abominations so they can be destroyed.
3. Faithful married women face the possibility of losing their husband's ________ and being sent out of his house.
4. The Hebrews retain little knowledge of the battle between ______________ and the serpent Leviathan, though it is preserved in the Psalms.
5. Because Egyptian myths are cumulative, both Horus and Osiris can fight Set, but only ___________ dies.
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)