|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Female deities are extolled for their roles as healers, with female priestesses serving as _____________.
(a) Voodoo doctors
2. What Goddess is said to be the Goddess of the Northern part of Egypt before 3000 BCE?
(a) Water Goddess
(b) Vulture Goddess
(c) Gold Goddess
(d) Cobra Goddess
3. Indo-European deities are male and are mainly what kind of gods, blazing high in the mountains in fire or lightning?
4. Robertson Smith claims that in Arabia, all traits of the dominant Goddess are transferred to the _____________ before she is subordinated.
5. Egypt practices ___________ when they need to determine property and descent in the society.
(a) Goddess will
(b) God structure
6. Who were the darker skinned Goddess worshiping people who were seen to be culturally superior?
(b) Indo-Aryan barbarians
7. Even as the males gain control over government in Minoan culture, the Goddess remains supreme and the male is a _____________.
8. The _____________ invasions weaken the matrilineal tradition and the Dorians make patrilineal succession normative.
9. Who is the author of "The Golden Ass' which was written in the second century CE?
10. ____________ continues to be revered as the bestower of rights to shepherds and kings, suggesting matrilineal rights still apply to royalty.
11. Myths that grow from a religion serving a female deity view ______________ differently from those created by male-oriented religions.
12. As Indo-Aryan and Hoite princes and nobles seek to establish themselves, there is continual __________.
(a) Nomadic disruption
(c) Mass executions
(d) Goddess desecration
13. Who is the weaker brother or husband to the Egyptian Goddess Isis?
14. ______________ is said to have been Queen Omphale's servile lover, according to Stone.
15. Who were the light-skinned warriors who encountered the darker-skinned Goddess worshiping people?
(a) Indo-Ayyan barbarians
Short Answer Questions
1. Robertson Smith claims the Semitic religion results from the juxtaposition of ___________ worship and a female kinship system.
2. Stone's question is: What affect does worshiping a female deity and living in a _________ society have on women?
3. Which area has the sex roles for society reversed and where a warrior-Goddess is worshiped?
4. It appears that the critical element is matrilineal descent of name and ___________ rather than women in power.
5. In northern Canaan, Adath, the "Important Lady of the _____________" rules in Ugarit in the 14th century BCE.
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)