|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Brother-sister marriage is seen in Egypt in order to give _______ access to royal privilege as international marriages were prohibited.
2. What is another name for the Northern Tribes as they are described in this chapter?
(a) Old boys' clubs
(b) Battle ax cultures
(c) Gods of the darkness
(d) Warrior kings
3. Who charges Inanna with stealing the gifts of civilization from him, according to Stone?
4. Royal families were found to show that the Egyptian culture was ____________, according to Stone.
5. Robertson Smith claims the Semitic religion results from the juxtaposition of ___________ worship and a female kinship system.
6. Females seem to invent not just agriculture, but also ______________, according to Stone's findings.
7. ____________ worship is described throughout the Middle East in the period of time of 3000 BCE.
8. One theory is that the woman's ability to produce ___________ so awes men that they worship women.
9. The Mother Goddess provides life and a controllable ____________ to the people who believe in her.
(a) Money supply
(b) Water supply
(c) Seasonal pattern
(d) Food supply
10. Even as the males gain control over government in Minoan culture, the Goddess remains supreme and the male is a _____________.
11. What is the name of the Indo-European group who live directly south of the Hittites in Cicilia?
12. Stories about the Goddesses were hardly the innocent childlike ____________ that many stories of them have become.
13. __________, "Lord of the mountains," kills Danu and her son Vrtra, causing cosmic waters to flow, which gives birth to the sun.
14. _____________ is the name given by scholars to Cretan cultural sites on the Greek mainland.
15. ___________ women work in business, hold real estate, lend money, and work as scribes around the time of 2000 BCE.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Shuchinak, "Father of the ________" becomes "Father of the Gods" and later "Protector of the Gods of Heave and Earth."
2. At some point, the Goddess acquires a male who becomes her lover or consort, but she retains _____________.
3. Hebrew women are inferior to their neighbors because they are needed to bear many __________.
4. Which area has communal marriage, according to the writings of Diodorus?
5. The ___________ are ruled by an Aryan warrior caste and worship old Indian deities, according to Stone.
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)