|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "The Golden Ass' which was written in the second century CE?
2. Indo-European deities are male and are mainly what kind of gods, blazing high in the mountains in fire or lightning?
3. Hebrew women are inferior to their neighbors because they are needed to bear many __________.
4. In Shuchinak, "Father of the ________" becomes "Father of the Gods" and later "Protector of the Gods of Heave and Earth."
5. As Indo-Aryan and Hoite princes and nobles seek to establish themselves, there is continual __________.
(a) Goddess desecration
(b) Mass executions
(c) Nomadic disruption
6. What do the words 'bala' in Sanskrit, or bull, and 'tura' from Akkadian times mean?
7. Robertson Smith claims that in Arabia, all traits of the dominant Goddess are transferred to the _____________ before she is subordinated.
8. What is another name for Artemis, as discover by scholars in the classical Greek times?
9. The Adam and Eve myth tells a female children her entire ______ is easily tricked, defiant, and provoking, according to Stone.
10. Who charges Inanna with stealing the gifts of civilization from him, according to Stone?
11. Which area has communal marriage, according to the writings of Diodorus?
12. In northern Canaan, Adath, the "Important Lady of the _____________" rules in Ugarit in the 14th century BCE.
(c) Royal House
(d) Royal Family
13. What is another name for the Northern Tribes as they are described in this chapter?
(a) Battle ax cultures
(b) Gods of the darkness
(c) Old boys' clubs
(d) Warrior kings
14. Diodorus of _________ writes respectfully and admiringly about women wielding power in the lands where he travels.
15. Stone's question is: What affect does worshiping a female deity and living in a _________ society have on women?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT a city-state which is matrilineal, according to Stone?
2. One theory is that the woman's ability to produce ___________ so awes men that they worship women.
3. Female deities are extolled for their roles as healers, with female priestesses serving as _____________.
4. Neolithic art at Catal Huyuk, Hacilar, and Elam shows the _______ as subsidiary, according to Stone.
5. Archaeology indicates that societies revere the Mother Goddess as the supreme __________.
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)