|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Myths that grow from a religion serving a female deity view ______________ differently from those created by male-oriented religions.
2. Some priestesses act as _______, providing military and political advice to royalty, though the men begin to outnumber them.
3. Which area has the sex roles for society reversed and where a warrior-Goddess is worshiped?
4. The ___________ are ruled by an Aryan warrior caste and worship old Indian deities, according to Stone.
(c) Indian Goddesses
5. What is another name for the Northern Tribes as they are described in this chapter?
(a) Gods of the darkness
(b) Battle ax cultures
(c) Warrior kings
(d) Old boys' clubs
6. Which area has communal marriage, according to the writings of Diodorus?
7. In "The Golden Ass," the Goddess speaks of herself as ___________, manifesting herself in various gods and goddesses.
8. Hittite armies often clash with ___________ in their attempts to try to control Canaan, according to Stone.
9. The _____________ invasions weaken the matrilineal tradition and the Dorians make patrilineal succession normative.
10. The mountain-god ___________ rapes the Goddess' daughter Ninlil who is later said to be his wife, according to older documentation.
11. What Goddess is said to be the Goddess of the Southern part of Egypt before 3000 BCE?
(a) Gold Goddess
(b) Water Goddess
(c) Vulture Goddess
(d) Cobra Goddess
12. Who were the darker skinned Goddess worshiping people who were seen to be culturally superior?
(c) Indo-Aryan barbarians
13. What is the name of the Indo-European group who live directly south of the Hittites in Cicilia?
14. Which Goddess is said to have created everything, including setting the Sun God Ra into the sky?
15. Females seem to invent not just agriculture, but also ______________, according to Stone's findings.
Short Answer Questions
1. It appears that the critical element is matrilineal descent of name and ___________ rather than women in power.
2. According to the writing "The Golden Ass," what is the proper name of the Goddess?
3. The Hebrew scriptures disguise ____________ as the male Ashtoreth and seek to discredit her, according to Stone.
4. Who is the author of "The Golden Ass' which was written in the second century CE?
5. Which Goddess is thought to be the inventor of agriculture, a healer, a physician, and a lawgiver?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)