|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During her six year reign, Queen Athalia reestablishes __________ which angers the Hebrew priest
2. As Indo-Aryan and Hoite princes and nobles seek to establish themselves, there is continual __________.
(a) Mass executions
(b) Nomadic disruption
(d) Goddess desecration
3. Indo-European deities are male and are mainly what kind of gods, blazing high in the mountains in fire or lightning?
4. In northern Canaan, Adath, the "Important Lady of the _____________" rules in Ugarit in the 14th century BCE.
(a) Royal Family
(b) Royal House
5. As advances in ____________ and domestication of animals clarify the male's role in reproduction, the mythological spouse gains importance.
6. What kind of Sumerian writing allows the historians of the day to be able to find literature that was written about history?
7. The Bhagavad-Gita shows ______ bringing culture and light to aborigines who are called demons if they refuse and monkeys or bears if they accept.
8. In "The Golden Ass," the Goddess speaks of herself as ___________, manifesting herself in various gods and goddesses.
9. Even as the males gain control over government in Minoan culture, the Goddess remains supreme and the male is a _____________.
10. Neolithic art at Catal Huyuk, Hacilar, and Elam shows the _______ as subsidiary, according to Stone.
11. ____________ worship is described throughout the Middle East in the period of time of 3000 BCE.
12. Some priestesses act as _______, providing military and political advice to royalty, though the men begin to outnumber them.
13. Priestly scribes appear to write out of ____________ motive more than religious fervor about supreme male deities and the institution of kingship.
14. What is NOT a city-state which is matrilineal, according to Stone?
15. Who is the author of "The Golden Ass' which was written in the second century CE?
Short Answer Questions
1. Hat-Hor is symbolized by a ________ with a cobra on her forehead, as the nature of Ua Zit is retained in the culture.
2. _____________ is the name given by scholars to Cretan cultural sites on the Greek mainland.
3. Some scholars suggest that the influence of the Goddess only seems minor because the Goddess has ___________.
4. ___________ women work in business, hold real estate, lend money, and work as scribes around the time of 2000 BCE.
5. What is another name for the Northern Tribes as they are described in this chapter?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)