|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ___________ is just another attempt at explaining human existence - yet Western civilization accepts this contrived myth as history.
(a) Star Goddess
(b) The multiplication of the bread and the wine
(d) The Prodigal Son
2. Who is the weaker brother or husband to the Egyptian Goddess Isis?
3. Various Hatti Goddesses survive the battle of the Hittites, and are known as the __________.
4. It appears that the critical element is matrilineal descent of name and ___________ rather than women in power.
5. Women lose ground in Mesopotamia as the _________ goddesses are relegated to the role of consorts to particular gods.
6. The Upper Paleolithic existence of the Goddess is speculative since it precedes ______________.
(b) Academic life
7. The _____________ invasions weaken the matrilineal tradition and the Dorians make patrilineal succession normative.
8. At some point, the Goddess acquires a male who becomes her lover or consort, but she retains _____________.
(b) A husband
(c) Her God partner
9. Cretan women are _____________ free and enjoy high standing in their society, according to Stone.
10. Who is the Sumerian Queen of Heaven, according to historical scholars and to evidence from the time period?
11. __________, "Lord of the mountains," kills Danu and her son Vrtra, causing cosmic waters to flow, which gives birth to the sun.
12. ___________ figures are everywhere: in fire sacrifices, astral bodies, lightning, skin color, and some of the gods - Brahma, Mithra, and Dyaus Pitar.
13. Stories about the Goddesses were hardly the innocent childlike ____________ that many stories of them have become.
14. The mountain-god ___________ rapes the Goddess' daughter Ninlil who is later said to be his wife, according to older documentation.
15. One theory is that the woman's ability to produce ___________ so awes men that they worship women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stone discovers that what she thought about sun/moon gods and earth/heaven symbolism is ____________.
2. Who were the darker skinned Goddess worshiping people who were seen to be culturally superior?
3. Myths that grow from a religion serving a female deity view ______________ differently from those created by male-oriented religions.
4. What is NOT a city-state which is matrilineal, according to Stone?
5. Females seem to invent not just agriculture, but also ______________, according to Stone's findings.
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)