|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7 - 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the reasons that armies historically favored younger soldiers?
(a) They are physically fit.
(b) They are obedient.
(c) They are aggressive.
(d) They do not question the war's irrationality.
2. How long did most Americans believe the war would last?
(a) A year.
(b) Three years.
(c) Six months.
(d) A few months.
3. Why did enlisted men require an "anodyne"?
(a) To cope with the stresses of warfare.
(b) To make up for their low self-images.
(c) To deal with the loss of friends.
(d) To provide a distraction.
4. How did much of the American public react to initial reports of violence, chaos and casualty figures?
(a) They ignored them.
(b) They were uninterested.
(c) They were appalled.
(d) They refused to believe them.
5. Rumors about the axis frequently dealt with what subject?
(a) Their tenacity.
(b) Their atrocities.
(c) Their combat prowess.
(d) Their superior weaponry.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author suggests that before the outbreak of war, the American military was prepared for what type of performance?
2. Why is Julian Maclaren-Ross discussed in the book?
3. How were military blunders usually treated in official reports?
4. According to the author, what was the typical age of a soldier for the allies in WWII?
5. What nation does the author believe to have military training particularly suited to the comparison that he draws?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)